• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] TL3 - Evolution of the TL

Finally bought a Champion TL3 after being disheartened by my Star plastic experience. Wow. Immediately clicked with it, it's like a completely different disc. The high speed stability is there, and the fade is super gentile and slow.

For those that have been throwing one for a while, have you managed to completely beat the fade out, or does it always remain?

Finally bought a Champion TL3 after being disheartened by my Star plastic experience. Wow. Immediately clicked with it, it's like a completely different disc. The high speed stability is there, and the fade is super gentile and slow.

For those that have been throwing one for a while, have you managed to completely beat the fade out, or does it always remain?
I have a 167g Champion TL3. It has more high speed turn when thrown hard but the slow fade still remains. One of the best discs that i have ever thrown for slow anhyzers and hyzerflips. It flies amazingly when you put a lot of hyzer on it and let it flip to almost flat. Glides more left (RHBH) than any other disc i have thrown.

I will keep throwing both of my TL3's and raport how they start to break in.

My champ TL3 is in the upper 160s, probably still in 8/10 shape...some surface wear but no major dings or cuts.

I primarily throw forehand, and my local course is fairly short but extremely technical. We've got a couple of obvious RHFH holes with thick schule on the right hand side of the fairway if you fade early. I've had better luck throwing the TL3 on a hyzer at maybe 70% power and let the hyzer sweep the whole way as opposed to hammering on a royal rage on a straight to fade line.

On a wide open shot though I can stretch it out in the 330-350 range, little hyzer release and it'll pop to flat, cruise straight for a while and fade just a hair. I've noticed mine gained a bit of high speed turn as it seasoned, not much, but it's just a bit easier to pop to flat now from a hyzer. Fade has probably mellowed out a bit too, mine started out with what I felt was a healthy fade for a TL.

Overall a great disc, I like the FD and Exodus/EL as well but I've had no issues finding TL3's that feel "right" in the hand. FD's and the Exodus have a lot more variation in the amount of dome, and domey discs just feel terrible in a flick grip. Plus that pearly champ plastic is just money...I've noticed it more with the lighter ones than the heavies though.

Just got a 175g Star TL3 in the mail yesterday. In the little testing I did in a field I can already feel like it's going to make my bag. I've never thrown a TL or the 3. I was very impressed with the flights I was getting. I cranked on it a few times with a flat FH & it responded really well. Super straight, glidey & I think the speed 8 # is correct.

Yeah it's a very solid fairway, very underrated and I think got lost in the plethora of all the 3 discs getting produced.

I had ordered some splatter star TL3's for a tournament I run, not quite as flat as the champs in the same order but the PLH was a bit higher. I'd love a flat TL3 in the gummier pro blend like you find the leopards in, with either that or a gstar, and a glow or color glow TL3 I think you could use them as a fairway cycle and cover most everything.

I have a 166g Star TL3 and that thing is flat.

If I want a Champ that is just as flat, should I stick to lighter weights?

I really can't stop praising these things. You put them on a slight hyzer and it gets to flat and just goes straight. You can make them hyzer, you can make them hold an anny, you can do whatever you want with them. They are the perfect woods fairway and they go far too. I don't think these will be leaving my bag anytime soon.

I really can't stop praising these things. You put them on a slight hyzer and it gets to flat and just goes straight. You can make them hyzer, you can make them hold an anny, you can do whatever you want with them. They are the perfect woods fairway and they go far too. I don't think these will be leaving my bag anytime soon.

Would you say they are an off the shelf replacement for the well seasoned Champ Teebird that's been thrown for years? Because that sounds like what I have, only without having to throw it in the woods for years and not lose it.

Would you say they are an off the shelf replacement for the well seasoned Champ Teebird that's been thrown for years? Because that sounds like what I have, only without having to throw it in the woods for years and not lose it.

Yes. I was getting frustrated with how overstable teebirds are these days and tl3s filled the role I wanted from my main fairway perfectly. Losing one doesn't suck since they are money right off the shelf. I actually removed teebirds from my bag entirely but do have a beat firebird and a thunderbird for if I need something with a little more over-stability. I can push the tl3s to about 380 on a damn near perfectly straight shot with just a baby fade.

This is exactly why I picked up a TL3- my most thrown TeeBirds were always the beat ones. TL3 is such a great flyer.

I just bought a Star TL3. Looking for a new straight driver to replace my Pipeline and beat DX Teebird. Excited for when I can go throw it.

Well I've now got a Star & Champion TL3. Both max weight & I've played several rounds with them.

The good: this mold is amazing. FH & BH it's so easy to hit long consistent shots. It's going to be my workhorse fairway mold. So glad I keep trying new ones out otherwise I wouldn't have found this.

The bad: I've been a long time Valkyrie guy & the TL3 is starting to take so many of my Valkyrie shots. Side by side I like the TL3 more but I do get a touch more distance on a FH with the Valkyrie. I'm thinking about testing a Beast or Inertia type mold to get more separation.

Well I've now got a Star & Champion TL3. Both max weight & I've played several rounds with them.

The good: this mold is amazing. FH & BH it's so easy to hit long consistent shots. It's going to be my workhorse fairway mold. So glad I keep trying new ones out otherwise I wouldn't have found this.

The bad: I've been a long time Valkyrie guy & the TL3 is starting to take so many of my Valkyrie shots. Side by side I like the TL3 more but I do get a touch more distance on a FH with the Valkyrie. I'm thinking about testing a Beast or Inertia type mold to get more separation.

A suggestion - the Aztec from Infinite is a really nice mold that gets more distance than a Valkyrie or Thunderbird. The glow champion has a similar stability to a brand new champion Vallyrie while the I-blend is like a beat-in champ Valk only they both have more glide and a pinch more speed than the Valk.

TL3 plastic differences? I have G Star and am wondering about Star or Champion and how much more stable they are?

Most drivers that I've experienced (Wraith, Thunderbird, TL3, Teebird) show zero turn in fresh Star Plastic but have a bit of turn out of the box in GStar Plastic. GStar is basically like a well-seasoned Star, and it is pretty durable. Big fan.

TL3 plastic differences? I have G Star and am wondering about Star or Champion and how much more stable they are?

Basically what Sirius said. My girlfriend throws a 167g GStar and it flips up a lot more than my 171g Champ. It's really fun to throw. I'm considering getting a GStar for something flippy, but less flippy than my Star Sidewinder.

Latest posts