• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] TL3 - Evolution of the TL

It's got the same dome as pfn star TL's so if the 3 series is faster due to a flatter top, it's no faster.

Update: got a chance to throw some discs today at the course. Weather was sunny and cold (for here), in the 40s. Not much wind at all, to the point that it was not factor enough to mention here.

I took these discs to the course:
Star TL, blue, 167g (the one I normally bag)
Star TL3s, pink 162g, white 167g
GStar TL3, 168g
GStar TL (16? g)

I threw all these discs off the tee on the first 7 holes of the course, some of which are open, some tunnel shots in the woods, and some into or out of the woodline.

As it was in the 40's, the GStar discs were fairly firm. The GStar TL was understable, almost flippy and turning and burning. I thought I might have a contribution to the GStar roller thread, but didn't go that far.

The GStar TL3 is a truly flat-topped, genuine "3" disc, and it is more overstable than the Star TL3s. The fade is a bit harder.

The Star TL has some turn and then some fade, as it is somewhat seasoned in.

Now the Star TL3s. They flew very well for me. Not really any turn at all (a bit on the intentional flex shot I threw on one hole), and a reliable but not too strong fade back. The Star TL3s faded less than the GStar TL3 and about the same as a fresh new Star TL does. The Star TL3s got good distance (my Tern is worried).

The pink TL3 always seems to end up just left (RHBH throw) of the slightly heavier white one, and distance was very much the same (I'd walk up to one, look dead left or right, and there was the other one). I really like the white one (167g).

All in all, I don't think these are true "3" flat-top discs, but I do like the way the Star TLs fly. I'll post more after some weekend range work.

I was just wondering because of the "3" treatment top if they lacked any glide. If you're getting them out 350'ish at your release speed then that sounds good to me.

Glide is not noticeably different in my Star TL3s from my Star TL, but as I said in earlier posts, these Star TL3s don't have true "3" flat tops, IMO.

The gstar tl3 i had faded pretty hard i had though, not much different than a gstar t3. Eventually it seasoned but out of the box it was beefier than i was expecting.

Update: got a chance to throw some discs today at the course. Weather was sunny and cold (for here), in the 40s. Not much wind at all, to the point that it was not factor enough to mention here.

I took these discs to the course:
Star TL, blue, 167g (the one I normally bag)
Star TL3s, pink 162g, white 167g
GStar TL3, 168g
GStar TL (16? g) ...

How would you compare the Star TL3 to a Star Teebird of the same weight?

My F2 Star Teebird is 167g, but I didn't throw it with the TL3s the other day and I haven't thrown the Teebird in some time (threw it vs. the Banshee some months ago). I'll take the Teebird to the range with the TLs and TL3s this weekend (Lord willin' and the Creek don't rise) and throw under the same conditions at the same time.

Based on memory, the Teebird was much more overstable for me than the GStar TL3, which is more OS than these Star TL3 "3" wannabees. But again, I'll make direct comparison throws and get more data and update here.

Anybody see these in a heavier weight yet, like 170+? Just curious to see if they molded up any flatter. I've seen L3s that were pretty flat and others not so much, so maybe there are flatter ones out there.

Anybody see these in a heavier weight yet, like 170+? Just curious to see if they molded up any flatter. I've seen L3s that were pretty flat and others not so much, so maybe there are flatter ones out there.

Infinite Discs has a good number of Star TL3s from 170-175g. No idea if they're any flatter than mine...

I have a fresh star Teebird and a fresh star tl3s in my bag. Both are marked 171g but I didn't scale them. The tl3 has more dome than the Teebird. Whenever I throw the tl3 flat on an open 300 foot throw it will glide to the right a little and hold that line with a gradual fade kicking in about halfway through. The fade is not dumpy at all. My Teebird on the same line will start out flat and show no signs of turn. It'll begin fading about the same time with a more pronounced fade at the end of the flight. Neither one skips much but the Teebird has a little more ground action than the tl3.

I got 2 pink 171g star tl3s and they're almost as domey as my star tl of the same weight. The dome fits between the slight dome of stock aj Teebirds and the star tls. Noticeably less than my c line fd though.

Update: spent a fun and productive day on the range (schoolyard) with twelve discs:

GStar TL3 167g.
Star TLs: pink 163g, blue 166g. Did not take my bag Star TL, considering fresher discs to be more in line with the new TL3s.
Champ TL 167g. Champ TL+ 175g.
Factory Second Star Teebirds: green 167g (have used some), yellow 167g (not thrown in a long, long time)
Champ Teebird+ 168g.
Star TL3s: pink 162g, white 168g.
And BONUS COVERAGE!: Legacy Icon Patriot 174g, Icon Phenom 168g.

I threw six sets of twelve, going each way up and down the schoolyard. All RHBH. Wind was not much of a factor at all either way, but was a slight headwind going one way then tailwind the other way. After the first set, which was warming up, I felt like I had pretty consistent throws: good reachback, pulling across my chest, good snap, not turning my wrist over (much), pivoting on my right leg properly.

Results:
The GStar TL3, Champ TL+, Champ TL, and Phenom were the shortest-flying discs, 250-260 ft. for my noodle-arm, rangefinder measured points used as reference. The Phenom is supposed to be 8,5,-1,2, but for some reason has become a super flippy understable disc. I might give it a run against my River. On the last set, I was bent nearly 90 degrees to hyzer-flip the Phenom, it came out of it and still turned over, and got long distance on that throw. Otherwise, it was just a huge turnover all the way, seeking the ground, never trying to fade back at all.
The GStar TL3 faded to the left every time. Just was less glidey I guess. The TL+ was a full 175g (didn't realize it until I got back home here and looked).

I was pleasantly surprised how well the Teebirds did for me. They were middle of the pack distance-wise. They did fade and usually after no turn (I did flex then on the last set, and they pulled out and faded), but I got better distance than I expected. They also were found on the left side of the groupings of the discs. The Teebird+ flexed a bit more than the F2 Stars, and got really nice distance. It usually was in the middle, left to right wise, as were the TLs and TL3s.

The Star TLs had some turn and then some fade. The pink one was bagged during "Throw Pink" month, and it may have seasoned in more than I realized. The other Star TL also had some turn, but they would fight out and fade back a bit. Sometimes one or the other would sneak into the longest 3 of the set.

The TL3s were consistently among the longest 3 discs. To my surprise, so was the Patriot. The Patriot flew a lot like the TLs, turn and fade wise, but got distance. The TL3s didn't turn as much as the TLs, but turned more than the Teebirds. The fade was about the same as the TLs. And I was VERY happy to be getting 275-280 ft. with the TL3s(!). It would be an in-the-circle putt on a basket 300 ft. from the tee.

TL;DR
Conclusion: I (continue to) believe the Star TL3s are NOT "3" series discs, but mine fly very well for me. Maybe its the newness and they'll season in, but I'm liking what I'm getting out of them. The white one (168g) is going into my bag. Now I need to decide if I replace my River with an S-Line FD or maybe this flippy Phenom.. The good news is I get to have fun throwing discs while figuring it all out.

Bit of a bump: nobody else has any review or comments on the Star TL3s? The way they were selling at Disc Golf Center, I know some of y'all have to be throwing these....

I haven't seen them yet but since that's the intent behind the 3 series, I'm assuming we'll see them sooner or later.

Got a 170 blue swirly star TL3 yesterday. Definitely more dome than any other 3 disc I've seen. Looks eerily similar to a standard TL. Besides that though, the star plastic feels really nice on these.

Anyone else pick up any star TL3's? Wondering if they are all just as domey as a standard TL. Its like they forgot to switch the top mold. :doh: