• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Today while disc golfing

Standing your ground with the dogs was definitely the right thing to do, but you already know that. I learned the hard way as a kid not to run from dogs. I love them too, obviously, and I agree with you that in public parks they should all be kept on leases. Its easy for those of us that are extremely comfortable around dogs to forget that others have intense anxieties about them, but it isn't fair to not have your dog under complete control in a public space. I'm not sure why you excluded labs though. I've had one and he was pretty intimidating to my friend that doesn't like dogs.

Dogs and leashes should go hand in hand. I like dogs but today I was playing at the new Two Rivers course in Finley. Dudes dogs were very lovable and nice pitts, but they kept trying to get attention while I am in the tee box. I want to throw my damn disc! Just keep them on a leash and everyone is happy. But maybe your dog... well he is a dog and he will get used to it.

im sure some labs might be mean but ive never come across one , most of the problem with dogs is not the dog itself but the breed and peoples lack of understanding of what their bred to do.

Pitbulls and similar breeds in the terroir family are bred to kill,hunt by killing,kill(hunt) in packs or protect by killing its in their blood , even the small terriors(mispelled im sure but dont want to look it up) are bred for hunting and killing small insects and rodents which is why they cant sit still and are always searching for stuff .
Back to labs i remember one time my buddy brought his lab to the course and this chick freaked out when it came over to her quite slowly i might add and without jumping up , i guess i was being insensitive but i started laughing cause id never seen anyone afraid of a lab before .

anyone that knows the breed knows labs have soft mouths and are bred not to harm already dead ducks and while big they are about as strong as a cat

I didn't mean to imply labs specifically were mean, mine wasn't. But it still was an intimidating dog to my friend so I operated under the assumption he could be to others as well. I'd have to assume largely because of size. I'm of the opinion though that any dog in the wrong hands can become dangerous. And any dog in the right hands will be a good dog. I do really love dogs though and will approach most ... but I'm that oddball that the dog that doesn't like strangers is fine with.

Last edited:
"I just heard about a story from Detroit where a guy got a flat tire and as he was trying to change the tire on the side of the road a carload of gangbangers pulled up, all got out, and surrounded him. The leader punched him in the side of the head but the guy was prepared. He pulled out a Colt .45 ACP and shot five times killing all five thugs with five shots.

The main criticism of the .45 ACP is that it does not hold enough ammo in the clip like the newer Glocks and such. This guy proved that you don't need 12 or 16 in the clip to get the job done."

Providing that the story is true, that would be some incredible shot placement under duress. Gotta love John Moses Browning. His arms designs have stood the test of time.

All my boxer would do is run up to them and try to get them to pet him...and then he would lick them:eek:

Haha, I've had several bulldogs, actually all of my bulldogs (pit bulldogs) that attack people and children the same way your boxer does. Absolutely frightening. lol

i bring my dog with me almost every time i go out. i do agree with controlling your dog. if YOUR dog is causing problems for other players you should have them leashed. personally i am extremely against leashing my dog, but my dog is well-behaved and actually seems to understand disc golf ettiquette. she stays out from in front of everyone, and actually usually goes and tracks my disc down for me. i've even played a couple local tourneys and brought her with me. other guys had dogs too and it made the whole event seem morel like a local bbq than a tourney. so basically what i'm saying is for me disc and dogs go hand in hand. of course i also don't play at too many public parks, that would change even my thoughts about leashes. you see in oregon a lot of our best courses are out of the way, on forest service land, so... to be honest to i'm a softy for dogs. my buddies dog once bit me real good (i had to get 5 stitches and get a rabies shot because pitbulls get put down for biting ANYONE. so i had to say it was a random dog) and i still like that dog for some reason. he's real nice when he's not being a dick.

For the record,(pit) bulldogs are not terriers. I know this could start a big go round, but it's MHO. They are bulldogs. They are bred for a trait that cannot be seen in their physical make up, Gameness. This is the will to continue against all odds, or "heart". Bad breeders (thugs, white ones, black ones, brown ones, yellow ones, and red ones), create "pit bull attacks" with thier mis-tempered breedings. Human aggressive bulldogs should be and have been put down on site, for years. Now you have yahoo's breeding the trait of human aggression. It's sad really. Sorry this is so off topic.

Where is Triumph the insult comic dog when you need him? It was hilarious when he went to the Westminster dog show. You see those bitches over there...I humped them!

For the record,(pit) bulldogs are not terriers. I know this could start a big go round, but it's MHO. They are bulldogs. They are bred for a trait that cannot be seen in their physical make up, Gameness. This is the will to continue against all odds, or "heart". Bad breeders (thugs, white ones, black ones, brown ones, yellow ones, and red ones), create "pit bull attacks" with thier mis-tempered breedings. Human aggressive bulldogs should be and have been put down on site, for years. Now you have yahoo's breeding the trait of human aggression. It's sad really. Sorry this is so off topic.
go look stuff up before you drop knowledge, terrier is in the name of the dog . If you dont believe me go to wikipedia and look up american pit bull terrier:rolleyes:

I carry my little tiny Gerber on the key clip on my bag...can't claim that stuff is concealed...
dsc09672.jpg

go look stuff up before you drop knowledge, terrier is in the name of the dog . If you dont believe me go to wikipedia and look up american pit bull terrier:rolleyes:

Aw, snap, sick burn. But yeah you're right, they're descendants of the Staffordshire Bull terrier which was bred for bullbaiting.

Latest posts