• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

tomahawk approach shots

I dont like to but when money or prides on the line i wont hesitate.

Some of my easiest 3's on cass benton's hole 18, the final insult, have been from a decent drive and overhand parkjob combo :)

Two events have made me more comfortable using overhands:
While playing dubs with a pro partner we were on our approach shot on cass's #18. Dave was somewhat familiar with my skill set and while i was embarassed to use an oh for an opn appraoch shot, he helped me go through the pros and cons of each option.

Cass is so busy and beat down that it had been years since a tourney took place. Recently weve had one yearly event.
So while playing dubs i was teamed up with the reigning mpo champ. I was baffled to see him throw so many oh's but it was a good lesson in use what works best.

OH's are excellent weapons for approaches if cross winds aren't too strong, there are no 'stealth branches' that can interupt your shot 20' out of your hand, and if you can live with the occasional roll-a-way.

And I'm with you Jim (S.) regarding throwing OH's maybe not 100' and in but 100' and out to 200'+ if 'open'.

Karl
Ps: How ya doin' and I hear (from them) that we have mutual friends down in Fuquay Varina!

yeah if its windy i don't throw them but on a nice calm day i rip them OH shots have the coolest looking flight path

Really, the only thing I use for OH shots is my 172 KC Firebird, and I use more of a thumber grip right handed and normally only to go over bushes and stuff. I can release it right above my head about 1 o'clock, and it'll blast out of my hand, flip almost 270 degrees, then stall and fall straight down. Only good from about 90 to 110, but if I have to go up and over it works great.

Sadly...

The tomahawk is the most popular throw on my wooded home course .

Being a resort town , lots of aussies , kiwis , Brits , Euros show up here to work and disc golf is one of the few free things to do in the summer . But I've seen some great throwers ( drives me nuts that kids can TH farther than I can drive , FH or BH ) up here.

One of my buddies has aced 3 holes multiple times , and I've done a few myself.

Another buddy is deadly accurate PUTTING when he's beyond BH range .
Wish I had that shot but I do see why you should have a TH in your repertoire .

Apparently , the Groove makes a good Tomahawk throw , I should try mine before I turn it into a clock !

I struggled for years with shots between 50-200 feet. I eventually decided it was time for something different and went with a tomahawk. I am now extremely good with tomahawking my orc for this shot and haven't looked back.

We have a guy here in Chico that throws a thumber with a Blowfly - he calls it a "flutter-by" shot because the disc is so floppy that it flutters through the air making a bunch of noise.

I don't throw them in the open but I throw Anode thumber approaches pretty frequently if I need to go over a wall of trees or thread a reverse S through the woods.

i don't know if i'm weird but if i'm on an open field hole and im a 100ft to the basket i feel like i can get closer to where i want with a tomahawk insted of throwing backhand. just wondering if anyone else does this?

Ever thrown an epic for drives?

Ever thrown an epic for drives?
I was throwin Epic tomahawks at Fountain Hills today. Some local had the disc and before our round I asked to check it out. First time I've ever seen one. That thing tomahawk flips to flat and just GOES. Its a crazy disc.

I throw thumbers as often as I can out to 300ft if conditions are right. I like them best for distance when the wind is coming at an angle from your back going laft to right, that's an extra 10-25ft. there. Shorter distances are tougher for me as I don't have much control with my Firebirds or C-PD's, for shorter shots I used to throw a River for GREAT effect. Now it's a TL. OH is about the only thing saving my rounds lately, especially at unfamiliar courses. A thumber down the middle 250-275ft. to set up the next shot if fine in my book.

People tell me it's not "fair" or that I'm "cheating" I tell them that's just because they can't do it. They're "cheating" then because I can't throw a BH as well as them...

OH FTW!

Latest posts