• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Took out our course.

Sloan

Birdie Member
just found out they took out our local course. bear creek DGC in medford oregon. i gotta goto work so cant look into it now but will post what i know later. if anyone else knows any info on what happened let me know. i assume it might have something to do with the whole baseball crowd that likes to park on the fairways and then get pissed when we explain to them nicley what they have done. we dont park on your baseball field and then get mad if you asked us to move cause a baseball might hit our car. pissed what great news to wake up too! :wall:

Wow, that stinks!!! My condolences, man. We've only one course in my town and I know I'd be SOOO bummed if it were ever to be taken out. Do you have another course in the immediate area?

if its because of the baseball people, you should get some disc buddies to go and practice your throws on game nights, on the baseball fields. After awhile they will wish you still had a course to play on

Well, Google came up with the Medford Parks and Recreation Commission Meeting Minutes from April 20th which said:

MEDFORD PARKS AND RECREATION COMMISSION MINUTES said:
60.3 Non-Approved Disc Golf Course at Bear Creek Park

Brian Sjothun indicated that a non-approved disc golf course has been erected at the north end of Bear Creek Park. He requested that the members provide him with input as to whether it should be removed. Paul Robinson raised the question that now that we know about it, what would the liability issues be for the City if nothing is done.

Staff will check with the City Attorney and bring the issue back to the Commission.
So it looks like your course was never approved by the City. I'm assuming the City Attorney said it was a liability and it had to go. Bummer.

It might also explain why your fairways were overflow parking lots.

Explanation on the course's page suggests that the reason is something else.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3553

What in sam hill is a ripirian zone?
Riparian zones are kinda-sorta but not really wetlands. Basically they are the buffer areas between your totally dry developable land and a creek or river. In park development you usually don't use riparian zones for active use areas; they are kinda hands-off Conservation zones.

2 reviews with 2 1/2 discs'

Sounds like a GREAT chance to "work the system" and design a new,better course!

i think cougar ridge is still up, shale city is still going. also hear of some people talkin about another course on 140 i was assuming it was cougar ridge but people are saying its not. it just sucks cause someone would randomly pick up the phone and call someone and then within 20 - 30 minutes we got 5 - 7+ people down at the course to play since it was in town. i think jackson county is set against disc golf since this will be the second course they have removed. i still havn't heard too much on the gold hill course which would be 15 min away but what i have heard sounds like it would just be worth the extra 10 min drive to continue on to tom pearce.

That sucks man!! Sounds like the city has a prety unfair hatred of disc golfers.

I disagree. This sounds completely fair.

I wouldn't expect anyone, anywhere to let me put up whatever I want whenever I want on property that wasn't mine.

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to lose a disc golf course even if it was illegally installed. But I'm not going to blame "The Man" when its discovered, found to be non-approved and a potential liability, and then subsequently removed.

agree with klay. the course was never legal anyways so you shouldn't be surprised it was removed.

and when you're lucky enough to have the city look the other way and allow you to play your illegal course, the DGers definitely shouldn't be saying shizz to the people using the legal baseball field (even if the parking is illegal) or being rude to other park users or consuming alcohol on the course or damaging property (from what the NW forum says).

Latest posts