• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Course In Every State Heading Into 2020

4 Played: Flip, Idlewild, Rollin' Ridge, Wildcat.

Indiana's "#1" course is....interesting?

Only 11 reviews, though, so I expect it will come down to earth with some time.

Yes this one is an outlier on this list for sure. Prides Creek is in the middle of nowhere and it doesn't get much action. I doubt more reviews will be pouring in anytime soon so this ranking may stick for a while. I think it's a fine course and I reviewed it a slightly generous 4.0 last year. The 4.5s and 5.0s are definitely aggressive. Off the top of my head, I think Lemon Lake Gold, Buffalo Trace, Severin Lang, Hazel Landing offer a better experience.

Let's add Deis Hill in OH as another head-scratcher. Fun course and a few signature holes but there are more than a few lame open-field holes. Mt Airy has to be the true winner in OH.

Or, maybe the disc golf in IN and OH just sucks. (kinda kidding)

Played 14:
Delaware: Iron Hill (4.29)
Kentucky: Idlewild (4.76)
Maryland: Seneca Creek State Park (4.26)
Massachusetts: 501 Disc Golf (4.71)
New Jersey: Stafford Woods (4.22)
New York: Brakewell Steel / Warwick Park (4.56)
North Carolina: Ashe County Park (4.47)
Ohio: Deis Hill Park (4.13)
Pennsylvania: Muddy Run DGC (4.67)
Rhode Island: Willow Valley (3.54)
Tennessee: Harmon Hills (4.73)
Vermont: Smugglers Notch - Brewster Ridge (4.63)
Virginia: Hawk Hollow - Plentiful Creek (4.73)
West Virginia: Whippin' Post (4.41)

I believe only three of the courses on the list have been used in NT, Open Major or DGPT events: Idlewild, Smugglers and Iron Hill. I wonder if our reviewers would rate some of the temp courses used close to the level of these three courses besides USDGC layout which might be the top rated course in SC if it were permanent?

I believe only three of the courses on the list have been used in NT, Open Major or DGPT events: Idlewild, Smugglers and Iron Hill. I wonder if our reviewers would rate some of the temp courses used close to the level of these three courses besides USDGC layout which might be the top rated course in SC if it were permanent?

Honestly don't follow the Pro circuit closely. Seems a shame not to use the IDGC courses, and others like Maple Hill, etc as regular or semi-regular stops.

Kensington Toboggan was used for DGPT in 2018 & 2019... has a 4.68 rating over 30 reviews.

I did a browse courses, and selected Temp & Seasonal (unchecked Permanent) and set the ratings filter for 4.0 and higher. Got some interesting results, but most of them only have a handful of reviews (at best).

Some courses I've only heard stories about:
Gran Canyon, FL: 4.88 …4 reviews
The Crucible, TN: 4.75 … 2 reviews
Winthrop Gold, SC: 4.16 ...28 reviews

Didn't realize Bryant Lake Park was "seasonal."

Last edited:

My guess is that Winthrop Gold would not make it. Between the course length and the miles of manufactured OB, there'd be too many detractors among the range of course reviewers.

Gran Canyon in Florida (mentioned in Bogey's post) would be a candidate for that state's best course, if permanent.

Flyboy would take Georgia, if listed.

Honestly don't follow the Pro circuit closely. Seems a shame not to use the IDGC courses, and others like Maple Hill, etc as regular or semi-regular stops.

Kensington Toboggan was used for DGPT in 2018 & 2019... has a 4.68 rating over 30 reviews.

I did a browse courses, and selected Temp & Seasonal (unchecked Permanent) and set the ratings filter for 4.0 and higher. Got some interesting results, but most of them only have a handful of reviews (at best).

Some courses I've only heard stories about:
Gran Canyon, FL: 4.88 …4 reviews
The Crucible, TN: 4.75 … 2 reviews
Winthrop Gold, SC: 4.16 ...28 reviews

Didn't realize Bryant Lake Park was "seasonal."

The Crucible is in Georgia.

I'd agree with all of this, except maybe Bryant Lake being better than BRP. It does have a bit of elevation, but I think the golf itself doesn't match up. Bryant Lake may be the "cleanest" course I've ever been to, though. So incredibly manicured....and the view over the lake is real nice.

I'd add in Wilderness as probably better than Rollin' Ridge as well. Hell, maybe even Stoney Creek is better at this point.

I really have to get to Bryant Lake. I forgot about Wilderness. That is a great course. I agree it's right up there if not better than Rollin Ridge. Stoney Creek is vastly underrated imo. Justin Trail's Big Brother is another one. A bit rough around the edges but a beast of a course.

I really have to get to Bryant Lake. I forgot about Wilderness. That is a great course. I agree it's right up there if not better than Rollin Ridge. Stoney Creek is vastly underrated imo. Justin Trail's Big Brother is another one. A bit rough around the edges but a beast of a course.
One of the Highbridge courses may regain the top spot in Wisconsin in another year or two.

So many of the top courses could easily be swapped with the course immediately below it... especially considering many of them teeter between 4.5 and either 5.0 or 4.0.

Bryant Lake vs BRP is a legit toss up, worthy of conversation. Personally preferred Bryant Lake, but totally see how some give the top slot to BRP.

I'd give the nod to Woodshed over Whippin' Post... but it's real close.
Deer Lake and Moraine are neck & neck in my book (apparently with Muddy Run).
I enjoyed The Canyons more than Fairfield, but get those who feel just the opposite. FWIW, I think Foundation Park Champ 18 might be better than either of them.

… indeed, these are tough hairs to split.
That's why I try to reserve my opinion until I've actually played at least a few of the state's Top 10.

bryant lake is immaculately manicured however the overall play/course design is easy af

which one chuck
I was non-specific on purpose because everyone has their own ideas for a top course. But I'm thinking Gold, Bear and Blueberry have the potential with the design tweaks ahead to be better than what players saw if they played during the resurrection this past year.

I was non-specific on purpose because everyone has their own ideas for a top course. But I'm thinking Gold, Bear and Blueberry have the potential with the design tweaks ahead to be better than what players saw if they played during the resurrection this past year.

in your opinion what would you rate highest there

gold bear and blueburry are all great but in their own separate way

in your opinion what would you rate highest there

gold bear and blueburry are all great but in their own separate way
Not sure about rating but Blueberry will probably remain my favorite to play due to the terrain variety and its blue level closer to challenging my skill level. The revised Gold and Bear we've (Mountain Man) envisioned may get higher ratings overall since they'll hopefully show how to do "longer and tougher" well as long as he can afford quality tees, signs and continued maintenance.

Not sure about rating but Blueberry will probably remain my favorite to play due to the terrain variety and its blue level closer to challenging my skill level. The revised Gold and Bear we've (Mountain Man) envisioned may get higher ratings overall since they'll hopefully show how to do "longer and tougher" well as long as he can afford quality tees, signs and continued maintenance.

another off handed question i hope youre willing to answer from your opinion

besides the baseball diamond teepads why isnt hidden lake the top rated course in mn

another off handed question i hope youre willing to answer from your opinion

besides the baseball diamond teepads why isnt hidden lake the top rated course in mn
I'd say not being in a metro area where there might be more buzz has something to do with it. No leagues(?) and few tournaments. No nearby amenities like a pro shop or nearby retail. It's pretty tough so the DG audience reviewing it is smaller. It's more difficult to play without sending out spotters and that water carry can be pretty tough. At least one of these several drawbacks is important to different DG market segments. I suspect this is enough so it slips down just enough from getting a top overall rating.

I'd say not being in a metro area where there might be more buzz has something to do with it. No leagues(?) and few tournaments. No nearby amenities like a pro shop or nearby retail. It's pretty tough so the DG audience reviewing it is smaller. It's more difficult to play without sending out spotters and that water carry can be pretty tough. At least one of these several drawbacks is important to different DG market segments. I suspect this is enough so it slips down just enough from getting a top overall rating.

interesting perspective thank you chuck

Overall course ratings in general have to be taken with a grain of salt. There has always been a bias towards private courses on this site. The appreciation the players have towards the land owners for opening up their home to others and all the time and love they pour into their course shows. Case in point: Flip City. By far not the best course in Michigan, but consistently highest rated. On the flip side (pun intended) I remember playing Phantom Falls in Colorado and having the owner of the land sit us down before tee time and giving us a speech about all the work he put into the course and STRONGLY urging us to give no less than 5 star reviews on DGCR. He was also one of the designers of Bucksnort. Because of that, I have a hard time trusting any reviews of that course.

Reviewing courses objectively is not always easy either. What does the reviewer have to compare against? Are you reviewing the quality of the course given what the course designer had to work with or are you reviewing it on the overall quality of disc golf? Do you include amenities on the course? If you do, do you take away points from other courses that may be missing these amenities? What about personal bias for/against certain design elements and styles of golf?

There are so many variables that can go into a course rating that it's hard to trust any one person's rating. In the end the good courses do tend to filter to the top. However, it's silly to think that the highest rated course is the better than others in the area or in the country. If you're gunning for that top spot it's more of a popularity contest than anything else.

Last edited:

Latest posts