• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Toughest course you have played

Handyman Ace Hardware in Fairborn (Dayton), Ohio. But I'm heading down to Idlewild this weekend so we'll see if that changes.

Yeah...Idlewild chewed me up and spit me out. Tough course, but I think it's manageable. I just couldn't keep it on the fairway and that's disastrous.

I'm playing there next month so at least its in the summer.

It took 17 pages for someone to mention this course. At least they played it when it had been cleaned up. This is probably at the top of my list right now. It wasn't in the best condition when I was there too so that may have had something to do with my rating of it.

Others for me would be the Toboggan for the shear epic unforgivingness if you make a mistake and Winthrop Gold with the ropes for the mental aspect that goes with literally every single throw you make has the potential to go out of bounds.

I don't consider Idlewild all the way up there, maybe its because I've played there more than the others and have figured some things out about how to attack it.

Try to make it out to peters creek!! It's not to far From Anchorage. And Westerchester Lagoon in downtown anchorage.

Nevin is hard in a dumb way, the idea of fairway is lost on that course. Dogwood Gold in Tyler is another one of these courses and finally the Lake Course in Nacogdoches is the worst, most poorly designed course Ive ever played oh and all the hills and rough make it a very tough hike.

My top two toughest courses are:

Jim Warner - IDGC - going up and down the hill on the back nine killed me.
East Roswell Park - very wooded - IDGC-esque

I have played Renny once and Idlewild and the courses at IDGC dozens of times and I have consistently scored worse at Idlewild. Renny is very tough but WR Jackson is a monster of a mind game. I can't decide which of these three is harder. I'm going back to Charlotte on Labor Day so I may have made up my mind by then.

These are the only courses to post a 70+ SSA in PDGA competition through the end of 2012, listed in alphabetical order:

Badlands DG Course at Camenisc Middle Location (2008 Denver Classic)
Black Diamond @ Emery Park Gold (2010 Black Diamond Classic)
Blue Valley Biggest Course in America R2 (2006 City of Fountains)
Carousel Park Carousel Pro Gold (2010 Delaware Disc Golf Challenge)
El Rio Golf Course Long tees R2 (2004 Tumbleweed Open)
Foundation DGC (2008 Gateway Open)
Hornets Nest Park Web R3 (2008 Carolina Clash)
Idlewild Longs R4 (2007 Disc n Dat Bluegrass Open)
Iron Hill Gold to Gold (2012 King of the Hill)
Maple Hill Elements Airplanes (2008 Unity Summit at Maple Hill)
Nasu Highlands Golf Club Pro R2 (2007 National Championships - Japan)
Ozark Mountain (2008 Ozark Fall Harvest)
Patterson Lake DGC Long Tees - Long Pins (2012 North Dakota DG Champ)
Powhatan Monster longs (2012 Mid-Atlantic Wide Open)
Renaissance Park Gold R3 (2006 FriZZak Open)
Roland Park SAFARI LAYOUT R1 (2005 LAFS Safari Championships)
Rose Hill Standard R3 (2005 Pacific Northwest Halloween Hyzer Howl)
Sarasota Golf Club blue tees R2 (2005 Sarasota Sky Pilots Pro Open)
Still Waters Farm Disc Golf Course Gold R4 (2006 Tournament Players Champ)
Thompson Park Champ course - Gold Tee (2008 Discrazy Shootout)
Willowbrook Golf Course 2007 Big D 18 (2007 Byron Big D Singles)
Winthrop Univ. Rec. Area 2004 USDGC R3 (2004 US Disc Golf Championship)

How many of those are public and permanent courses? No added tees, mando's, temporary baskets or marked OB just for the tournament.

How many of those are public and permanent courses? No added tees, mando's, temporary baskets or marked OB just for the tournament.

I know Foundation is a public course. I was not at the 2008 Gateway Open, but I'm guessing they played all permament holes. The course has 2 tees on every hole and 2 pin placements on every hole.

For reference, we played Foundation in the 2012 Southern Illinois Open and from the Red tees to mixed placements (~12 A and ~6 B) the SSA was about a 62.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/92179

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/13969

I know Sarasota and Stillwater are gone. Patterson had the highest SSA and that's a permanent course but I assume all pins aren't long on a daily basis. Renny, Hornets and Idlewild are regular layouts when set that way.

Kincaid Park Anchorage Alaska in the winter
I'm playing there next month so at least its in the summer.
You may know mosquitoes, bein' from the South, but you're about to learn about black flies. The horror. The horror.

Can't agree with Ann Mo [shot -7] or Seatac [-2]. For me, of the courses I've played, its:
Wilder in Newport OR
Tocobaga in St. Pete FL
Bogus Basin Pioneer Boise ID
Bryant Park Albany OR
Four Mounds complex Spokane WA

I need to hit Diamond X in the fall after fire season when my brutality tolerance is way up.

Has to be idlewild definitely!! Long grueling 3 hours of hell!! Second would be hueston woods although not physically grueling it is an all wooded course and once you start hitting trees it can snowball into a rough round.

"Sometimes this place makes me want to quit the game!"

Around here I would say that Richmond Hill always offers up the biggest challange! http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=453
It's thickly wooded & super-technical! Getting through a complete round without a blow-up hole is rare! It is a spirit crusher & I have driven away from there angry, frustrated & disillusioned many times!

Kincaid Park Anchorage Alaska in the winter

You may know mosquitoes, bein' from the South, but you're about to learn about black flies. The horror. The horror.

Can't agree with Ann Mo [shot -7] or Seatac [-2]. For me, of the courses I've played, its:
Wilder in Newport OR
Tocobaga in St. Pete FL
Bogus Basin Pioneer Boise ID
Bryant Park Albany OR
Four Mounds complex Spokane WA

I need to hit Diamond X in the fall after fire season when my brutality tolerance is way up.

They don't call the Mosquitos Alaska's state bird for no reason!! Lol