• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Training day?

training_day.jpg

"King Kong ain't got sh*t on me!"

Hey all, we are opening up a new course here in town, and while we (my gf and I) play a fair bit, we are by no means any good! lol

But, that being said, there aren't many here in our small town who have heard of disc golf, nevermind played it...so, we would like to do a toned down, beginner, training day... (hour or so before sending them out to play)

What would you guys recommend?

I planned on printing out the Innova basics charts and have them on display as well..

side arm throws and backhand throws...showing how the disc will react opposite with each throw?

Basic roller?

Basic tomahawk?

Scoring procedure?

Forehead beverage container crushing?

look at the threads about teaching disc golf to children, it is the same stuff.
Basically I teach etiquette and rules like; who goes first on the pad, how to know who throws next, foot faults and falling putts ect.
then for throws I teach a basic backhand, sidearm, and a tomahawk. I teach the tomahawk because the kids love it and it is similar to skills they know, so they are more successful. I also teach putting.

Today I started the class with putting drills, then in the last 10 minutes we worked on drives.

I also teach the differences in the discs: What does dome do, why do they have different edges, how does diameter affect flight. Basically "how does the shape of the Ryhno make it fly different than the Wraith."