• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Traveler vs. Resident - Importance of Signs?

It occurs to me that basket makers could add a locking "arrow" to the top of baskets to point the way to the next tee. If you have multiple basket locations, you unlock the arrow, twist it to the new orientation, and lock it in place again.

Of course, you could easily add something like this to an existing basket, but if it doesn't lock, some idiot might point it in the wrong direction just to screw with people.

Baskets on the Steady Ed course at IDGC had devices like this at the base of the pole, I thought they were pretty sweet: little plastic tabs that said "Next Tee" pointing in one of about 24 or so directions. After playing the Headrick course, I was kind of disappointed they didn't have them* on the Warner or Jackson courses.

I've also seen specific spokes on baskets painted to point toward the next tee, even one color for longs, another for shorts and both colors on same spoke for shared tees. Works pretty well as long as baskets aren't moved or rotated.

* or the neat red/white/blue flags that tell you the wind speed/direction - sweet!

Last edited:
Baskets on the Steady Ed course at IDGC had devices like this at the base of the pole, I thought they were pretty sweet: little plastic tabs that said "Next Tee" pointing in one of about 24 or so directions. After playing the Headrick course, I was kind of disappointed they didn't have them* on the Warner or Jackson courses.

I think you're talking about these. They're cool, but you can do just as well without spending almost $400 on navigation aids.

Should be noted as part of the discussion -- great signs don't yet exist for DG. Some fairly decent ones, ones that do the job, ones that impress people who haven't seen a great one or even a very decent one.... but there are no great signs yet. Great signs would do a lot for the game.

Now commence posting some sorta-decent signs that impress you :)

Rockness Monster signs. You get the distance and elevation gain/loss from each pad. An overhead map of the pads and the basket with a next hole locator. Then at the bottom you have the actual pics from the pad that show you where the location of the basket is and the other pads; and beside that a view from the basket with arrows pointing back up to where the pads are.

BAM

I'll back up this story. UNC is a shame. With loving care it could be a really nice course. Little bit of the light blue paint they probably have 8,000 gallons of on the old baskets, couple basket position tweaks, and some updated navigation and tee signs, and BAMM you have an exceptional course with good variety. What a waste. :\

I agree that it's a shame, however, I suspect that part of the issue is that the layout changes regularly, in response to overuse and erosion concerns. The only holes that haven't changed over the past 10-12 years are #s 4 and 5, and even those have had concrete teepads installed to alleviate the impact of overuse. Every other hole has either been changed, created or eliminated, at least once, and several have changed multiple times. With the explosion in the number of people playing the course, I don't expect we've seen the last of the changes. So it's not entirely surprising that the OEC doesn't want to put money into signs that will probably be outdated in 2-3 years.

Another part of the issue is that relations between the club and the OEC over the years have been uneven. (At one point--2003?--the Tarheel Tournament had to be contested at Valley Springs because the Friday afternoon before the tournament the OEC management closed the course for the weekend, pretty much just to make the point about who was calling the shots.) Relations probably aren't helped by the regular turnover in the club's nominal leadership due to graduation, making it difficult to maintain a good, on-going, working relationship with the powers that be and to develop a long-term road map for the orderly evolution of the course.

I think you're talking about these. They're cool, but you can do just as well without spending almost $400 on navigation aids.

Thanks Mash, that's exactly what I was referring to, and no argument from me: cool, but not necessarily worth the price - but they don't seem out of place given that complex and how completely the Headrick course is a equipped. That's as polished a course as I've played personally. For those who were wondering, here's a link for those flags I mentioned... but they're even pricier than the NexTEE indicators. :\

I think there's a certain elegance in things that are simple, yet effective; painting a spoke on the basket to point to the next tee, or simple 4x4 tee markers. :)

Navigation is definitely a one-time issue. But even on courses that I play frequently, I like to have the distance marked. On my home course I can largely ignore it because I already have a good feel for what I want to throw. But on courses that I'm familiar with, but don't play as often, it's nice to have the distance reminder every time I play.

I think this is true. There is a course I play about once every two years and I am still confused as how it flows, normally I go with my buddy who plays it a lot or I wouldn't know how it flowed.

at an absolute minimum, there needs to be basic signs pointing to the next tee ( unless it's glaringly obvious.

If people want this sport to grow courses need to be easy to navigate. It's a huge turn off for newer players to finish a hole, look around and have absolutely no idea where the next tee is without asking someone.

Last edited:
This is such an interesting topic in rating courses. Because to some extent, you are rating the course as a whole, not just for locals. And I think locals would care less about the rating. But I also agree that it's not fair to completely trash a course for being unfriendly to visitors.

I really think the review should clearly state that.

But as far as the issues of signage, I think it's really important. Proponents of the sport need also to be proponents of signage. As much as it's hard to believe, some of those randoms throwing Lids at the wrong basket will end up being professionals.

Honestly, who are the ratings for? It really seems like ratings are much more for travelers than for locals. I'm not going to stop playing the closest course if I read that it only has 2 stars. I think that ratings are much more relevant to the visitors so I think it is important to state why you are giving the course that rating.

I also understand that ratings have other purposes than "ease of use" for the visitor. Part of a rating implies caliber. I think that signage should play a minor role in rating but I do think that it does in fact have a role. But I also think you should clearly state that in a review.
This about covers it.
It's pretty important to me.

I agree that it's a shame, however, I suspect that part of the issue is that the layout changes regularly, in response to overuse and erosion concerns. The only holes that haven't changed over the past 10-12 years are #s 4 and 5, and even those have had concrete teepads installed to alleviate the impact of overuse. Every other hole has either been changed, created or eliminated, at least once, and several have changed multiple times. With the explosion in the number of people playing the course, I don't expect we've seen the last of the changes. So it's not entirely surprising that the OEC doesn't want to put money into signs that will probably be outdated in 2-3 years.

Another part of the issue is that relations between the club and the OEC over the years have been uneven. (At one point--2003?--the Tarheel Tournament had to be contested at Valley Springs because the Friday afternoon before the tournament the OEC management closed the course for the weekend, pretty much just to make the point about who was calling the shots.) Relations probably aren't helped by the regular turnover in the club's nominal leadership due to graduation, making it difficult to maintain a good, on-going, working relationship with the powers that be and to develop a long-term road map for the orderly evolution of the course.

Are the poor relations with the OEC management the reason UNC has not sent a team to nationals?

I don't review courses anymore, because of the abuse I got on the few I did review, but lack of signage that made the course navigable was a big negative to me. How hard is it to paint an arrow on a wood block, then attack the block to a big hose clamp thingy and then attach that under the basket pointing to the next tee box? It can be loosened and readjusted if the basket is moved. Come on people, all Ron is asking you to do is to help make your course user friendly. A short term effect is that the course might become more crowded, but what will make it easier to point to when you want to add another course; a course that is crowded or a course that is not?

I don't review courses anymore, because of the abuse I got on the few I did review, but lack of signage that made the course navigable was a big negative to me. How hard is it to paint an arrow on a wood block, then attack the block to a big hose clamp thingy and then attach that under the basket pointing to the next tee box? It can be loosened and readjusted if the basket is moved. Come on people, all Ron is asking you to do is to help make your course user friendly. A short term effect is that the course might become more crowded, but what will make it easier to point to when you want to add another course; a course that is crowded or a course that is not?

Your last review got 5 Thumbs up and 0 thumbs down. And looked all right to me. I once quit doing reviews for awhile myself. Don't let the haters get you down man. And I agree, signage is important.