• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trophy Only... Trophy or Trophy Disc?

Trophy or Trophy Disc?

• Trophy... I like the little guy on top

Votes: 33 44.0%
  • Trophy Disc... I'm gonna throw it 500' off a cliff you cheap TD

Votes: 42 56.0%

• Total voters
We did platters for the KC Wide Open, and I thought they looked sharp. Here is Paige getting hers with Crazy John Brooks interviewing her.

Paige-Pierce-2011-KCWO-Winner.jpg

I like trophies. Something about the idea of my kid looking at it years after I pass away and having to decide if this is the year he justifies throwing it away really appeals to me. A Disc is just something I would just use after I get tired of looking at it on the wall.

270696_639585974269_184805210_33879630_2910248_n.jpg

Here you go. The best of both worlds. It's a traveling trophy with a disc on top. I get to keep the trophy for a year and then when I go back this year I give it back and keep the disc on top. Also my name and scores are on one of the metal plates.

That's pretty awesome. Good thing about a traveling trophy is that it only clutters your life for a year, unless you repeat as winner. Bad thing is that the TD has to retrieve it each year, and the trophy holder may have moved away or dropped out of disc golf.

Sorry but most people have a set bag and if your going to throw a trophy disc then you are doing this just to show off.
Or you could do a traveling trophy and a disc on the trophy

Ah, you misunderstand me. I don't want a disc that I can throw just to show off. I'd feel pretty silly "showing off" a win from months or years ago, in any fashion (including a trophy on the mantle, for that matter).

But I like throwing discs, any discs---the ones in my "set bag", old worn out ones, new ones I'm trying out, tournament-stamps, trophy discs, whatever. Throwing them in a field. Throwing them whle playing alone. Throwing them while playing casual with people who probably know, and probably don't care, that I once won a tournament. I'm the only person likely to notice the stamp, anyway.

So my preference is a trophy disc. Trophy lovers can display it. Others can play with it.

Before I actually played in a trophy only event, I thought they were stupid. I didnt understand why anyone would pay to play, with only the opportunity to win something stupid.

I went to the event anyway, it was cheap and I enjoy playing. Notice I said it was cheap. Trophy only events can be cheaper to enter. The players pack was still good. It included a T shirt, CFR disc, a catered dinner was provided, and the trophies were actually pretty cool looking.

what the OP is saying could get new players into the tournament seen. It would push the plastic chasing 890 rated baggers up to the level they should be at and possibly lower the rec entry fees. Both of which would open the door to new tourney players.

if its done well I think people will accept it, if its not, and its obvious that the players aren't getting their $$ worth, it will kill the club's ability to draw true rec players in the future.

Having been a TD and travelling pro for going on 25 years - here's my take on trophies. Cheap trophies suck. Custom trophies rock. Trophies shaped like discs OR trophy discs are better received than just regular trophies. All that being said - after years of trying to do nice trophies - I opted for the travelling trophy. It minimizes tournament expense, gets the winner commemorated with all the other past winners, and only takes up space for as long as the player can defend their title.

Now - how that applies to a trophy only Am division? I guess there is no ONE right answer - other than my first statement - cheap trophies suck - you can take it from there :)

What has this world come to when people go to tournaments just so they can bag and cheat the system just so they can get more discs. If you people would just spend your time on being good people and getting good at the sport instead of finding ways to get more plastic this game would be a lot better. There's a reason why I play in advanced and that's cuz everyone is there to have a good time and try to win. Not there to win just so you can win plastic. Some of you people should try to advance the sport and make it great.

Having been a TD and travelling pro for going on 25 years - here's my take on trophies. Cheap trophies suck. Custom trophies rock. Trophies shaped like discs OR trophy discs are better received than just regular trophies. All that being said - after years of trying to do nice trophies - I opted for the travelling trophy. It minimizes tournament expense, gets the winner commemorated with all the other past winners, and only takes up space for as long as the player can defend their title.

Now - how that applies to a trophy only Am division? I guess there is no ONE right answer - other than my first statement - cheap trophies suck - you can take it from there :)

This forum needs to be like Facebook so I could "Like" this

NO TROPHIES! play for merchandise always

Tell open players they dont get to play for cash but some pos trophy and they would be pissed also. Plastic is the ams cash.

I see I have found two of the "whiney poons" I mentioned when I said that ams should play for trophy only to begin with, being we are AMATEURS and not professionals making a living off of this. Hopefully you decide one day to move up to a level that promotes competition and cash payouts so you don't feel like you got ripped off anymore. Pros play for cash because they are PROFESSIONALS trying to make a living doing this, Ams play the sport to support the professionals and like any other sport, should only be given trophies. Ever get paid out in hundreds of dollars in basketball merch for winning an amateur basketball tournament (replace basketball with ANY sport)?

As for my tournaments, if you're playing rec (and you place), you get a trophy. If you're playing MA2 or MA1 you get paid out in plastic and if you're in Open you get the cashola (minus tournament costs). As always (because they bitch if I don't) the ams ALL get a players pack valued at more than their entries.

I've been taking note of all the great ideas that have been brought to this thread and will definitely be getting something unique that the players who do place will actaully WANT to have on their shelf. The traveling trophy seems fun, but for rec?

And I agree with Snowren, that if I don't do this right this time, it won't work any other time, so I will definitely be careful when treading this line in hopes that I get it right and the baggers move up, the new players start playing and love it and everyone just goes on as normal (as this will be the norm if it works).

Last edited:
What has this world come to when people go to tournaments just so they can bag and cheat the system just so they can get more discs. If you people would just spend your time on being good people and getting good at the sport instead of finding ways to get more plastic this game would be a lot better. There's a reason why I play in advanced and that's cuz everyone is there to have a good time and try to win. Not there to win just so you can win plastic. Some of you people should try to advance the sport and make it great.

What "you people" are you addressing? I haven't seen any such sentiments expressed on this thread.

Be advised that there's someone out there complaining about people bagging in advanced to win plastic when everyone should play Open.

I have 3 trophies. I value one of them, TADGA 2011 Sportsman of the Year, it was accompanied by the traditional bottle of Jager. :D

The other 2 collect dust on a shelf in my basement. This wouldn't be the case if they were discs. They would either be in my bag or traded for something that goes in my bag.

Well, at least I got some good feedback before this started going downhill...

Sorry.

On higher ground, I think you've got two questions---whether to do trophy only for lower divisions, and if so, what kind of trophy.

We've hedged the first question at some of our events. We've charged lower entries for the lower divisions; once you deduct fees and players packs, the remaining portion going to payouts is pretty meager, so the payouts are light. But so are the entry fees. Players have options of moving up, paying a higher entry, and possibly winning bigger payouts.

The second, I'd prefer a custom-stamped disc. But as Craig said, if you're going to do a trophy, do a really cool one. One worth battling for. (We give a framed photo of a particularly scenic hole, a different one every time, with the player's name and division championship printed on it. We've figured out how to do this quickly enough to hand them out at the awards ceremony.)

If bagging is really an issue, there are other options than changing the payout. Enforcing the ratings guidelines and using TD authority to correctly place non-rated players, for example.

I just typed out a two page response and then hit the wrong button!

Payout incentive to win and compete for is the only reason I would pay to enter a tourney.
If the payout sucks I will pass on the tourney and proceed to play a casual round.
Payout am in plastic and let bagtags be the trophies. We have mandatory club bagtag challenges involved in our tourneys. I also think merch bucks are good for choice of prizes as long as merch is not priced at full msrp.

Other successful sports have great prizes if you win!
Thank you for asking for player opinions as a td, I am sure this will help you in your future tourneys.

I see I have found two of the "whiney poons" I mentioned when I said that ams should play for trophy only to begin with, being we are AMATEURS and not professionals making a living off of this. Hopefully you decide one day to move up to a level that promotes competition and cash payouts so you don't feel like you got ripped off anymore. .

Call me a whinner if you wish, But i thought that was one of the cool things in these tourneys was getting some cool plastic if you did well. My friends would do well and it was cool seeing the stuff they would get. Im a intermed player and I average mid card in it mostly. First time I finaly did well and ended up with a pos trophy. So more dissapointed than anything. If your constantly winning in your divisions then move up. If you dont like getting plastic then pass it on to someone who can use it and move to division that dosent give it out instead of bagging on us that appriciate it.

I have seen specially designed bag tags handed out as trophies. No matter what you do there will always be people who bag. I will play rec until I get a win or two or my rating approaches the high 800's. Personally I just like the competition but it is never fun to lose lol.

Call me a whinner if you wish, But i thought that was one of the cool things in these tourneys was getting some cool plastic if you did well. My friends would do well and it was cool seeing the stuff they would get. Im a intermed player and I average mid card in it mostly. First time I finaly did well and ended up with a pos trophy. So more dissapointed than anything. If your constantly winning in your divisions then move up. If you dont like getting plastic then pass it on to someone who can use it and move to division that dosent give it out instead of bagging on us that appriciate it.

Sorry to call you out (not really, just being polite) but you did exactly what my OP was talking about with ams whining about not getting plastic for winning. You're an AM. be happy you got your players pack, play the tournament, get your ratings bumped and be happy to play this sport in an organized manner with the help of one or two extremely dedicated TDs who really don't want to hear the complaints when they hand out a trophy instead of plastic to some greedy Rec players who should be cashing in AM2.

Being that you're an intermediate player, you'd get your players pack and payed in plastic... why are you complaining again???

Latest posts