• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying to choose a good disc to throw far

Threw again today will minimal wind and had some good results.

Wraith is pretty beat up, but I like it like that. If I throw it hard it has a nice anhyzer flight. And still gets some nice distance.

The destroyer only has one small nick in it. Flies nice, goes straight with a slight turn, then fades pretty good to the left. It would be a good disc for a long left dogleg hole for me.

The Vulcan has a great S curve and flies the farthest. Not sure on the exact distance, but it was around 375. Which is 25 ft past my best.

The more I improve my form and snap, the more distance I will get.

Trying to figure out how to upload a video now.

So many pros throw the destroyer or nuke ss, those are pretty obvious choices, but only if you have the arm to throw that kind of distance. Otherwise, you have to look at the teebird or similar.

I think I can do even better than I did today, because it was soaking wet on that field and I had to hold back when I planted my foot for my throw or I would slip. But I still had some good shots, destroyer included. Anxious to throw on the football field near my parents house so I can get some figures on distance.

I'm no expert and I mostly throw under stable discs, but I think it may be the wrong question you are asking. You may need to change up your technique (i.e. OAT like others are saying) not your discs. Some avid players (not pros) throw a Buzz 350 feet due to their superb technique...

Having to "force" a Vulcan to anhyzer doesn't sound like a cannon to me.

I don't have to force it with my new found power. It does a great S on its own now. Even the Destroyer with is small -1 fade (compared to the -4 of the vulcan) turned over some on my good shots.

I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with my technique, thats why I uploaded videos.

I'm going to agree with everyone calling it OAT, not the discs. I don't think you need speed 13, but if they work for you then go right ahead. It's not like you're some noob who can't figure out why his Mamba is diving right after 50'. But I have the exact same problem you do. I'm trying to change my form up to add distance and I'm turning my discs over like it's nobody's business (which I guess it isn't). The difference between you and I is this:

I'm gorgeous.

The other difference is this:

I'm turning over putters and mids because that's what I'm working on my form with. When I get a good rip and the disc comes out right, I know it. But it doesn't happen often enough, so I'm still trying to locate the issue on my release. Once I do figure that out, it will quickly translate to the drivers that I carry.

The point of all of that is just to say that, yes, it's the change in your motion that's screwing you up. Working with slower discs is absolutely going to magnify that and drive you crazy. I play rounds where I'll throw three discs from the tee (Opto Pure, Z Comet, and whatever disc I want to play for a decent score), and it's maddening. But in the end it will be worth it because I'll locate the issue and tweek something to fix it. I recommend that you do the same. Then when you get back to your high speed discs with your new and perfected form you'll be bombing them where you want to bomb them rather than right into a creek.

Working with smaller discs like my mids to get my form going right seems like an idea. I just have a hard time power gripping my mids tho, feels so awkward. I end up grip locking them and jerking them right. But my fan grip isn't grippy enough. So I will have to learn a new grip to be able to start practicing with them on harder shots.

I know about my waist rotation issue, thats the main thing I'm working on. Thats what I realized the other day, that I didn't rotate away from the my target area enough. Just gotta keep practicing. The best part is I've aready noticed differences on the course :). I'm working on my putting too, which has also gotten better.

Love this time of year. It gets hot in SC, nice to feel some cool weather for a change.

Throw faster discs.
Vulcan=too slow.
the faster they fly the further they go.

Where is your thumb when you throw? Is it more on the flight plate or more on the rim? If its closer to the edge of the disc try moving it onto the flight plate more

I would rather stay away from disc companies I don't know anything about anyway. I'm used to Innova. and I have one Disc Craft banger-gt putters.

Legacy discs are made by an Innova guy, if I understand correctly. Innova and
Discraft also have several off-shoot companies they manufacture discs for. Latitude 64 and Westside also share manufacturing. Some people really like their plastic. They have very good glide, I hear. Discmania's DD2 is touted as possibly the furthest flying disc produced by Innova.

Throw faster discs.
Vulcan=too slow.
the faster they fly the further they go.

As long as you can make them fly right. Step up to the distance drives with understable discs and it'll be easier to get the nose down and keep it down.

i agree with all the OAT people on here.

I would get your self a comet, leopard and a teebird and practice in a field with those.

on a flat release you should see 0 flutter and have them do the following.

leopard - start straight a little high speed turn and then a little fade back.
teebird - start straight , stay that way and then fade more then the leopard
comet - just practice throwing this on all lines until you can get 0 flutter.

discing down was the best thing to happen to my game, EVER. i can get WAY more distance since i corrected my form.

In your second video your wrist is turned over on the follow through - facing up. This indicates what others are calling OAT. You are compensating with your wrist for the overstability of a disc, causing it to turn over or do a long 'S' curve.

Now - I can only point it out...I suck and am still trying to stop doing that myself. I got it better by throwing putters on a hyzer line out about 200 or so ...including my DX Birdie. If you can hyzer an understable putter far, then you aren't turning your wrist over - then work that into your other discs.

I found that after working for a while, the discs that used to be 'S' curve discs for me were running on hyzer lines all the time. Had to disc down to get back to distance.

It is really interesting looking at your follow through frame by frame. One frame it is facing up, then the next frame you flip it back down - almost like you are deliberately trying not to flip it up, but your body does, then you compensate.

Latest posts