• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tucson Trip

osborne

Par Member
Traveling to Tucson for work next week, planning on hitting up a couple leagues while there. Anything that I should absolutely not miss in my travels?

Also I plan on seeing what I can do with just a Teebird buzz and xd on the course. For reference, I am getting a teebird to 400, buzz to 300/330 range, and new or champ xd will get me out to 270-300 ish. Will this be ok down there or should I try to bring a more complete bag (understable stable overstable mid and drivers)?

Last edited:
Don't know if the Tucson courses are similar to the Phoenix-area courses, but I spent a week in Phoenix recently and I wouldn't have played as well without some overstable discs in my bag. Desert golf is mostly throwing over things and trying to set yourself up for a clean putt without the wind in your face. Honestly I might have thrown just as well if all I brought was Putter-Firebird-Destroyer. Also keep in mind the terrain will be pretty harsh on discs.

Marana is the course to play in that area, but from what I hear it has been flooded for quite some time now. It's an annual occurrence and they play a modified loop around the flood area when it happens, but I hear this year it's worse.

I hope your XD is premium plastic because most Tucson courses have a lot of rocks/sand and even champ plastic gets chewed up.

This time it might be permanent at Marana from what I was hearing, a levee broke and there are no imminent plans of repairing it. There might be a move to the flood layout that stays out of the low areas of the course, but I don't know the status of that.

Marana is the course to play in that area, but from what I hear it has been flooded for quite some time now. It's an annual occurrence and they play a modified loop around the flood area when it happens, but I hear this year it's worse.

I hope your XD is premium plastic because most Tucson courses have a lot of rocks/sand and even champ plastic gets chewed up.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the course is not only still flooded, but is being converted into a bird sanctuary. It really sucks to lose such a gem of a course. Unfortunately, there aren't really any good courses down there. Santa Cruz has been getting a make over, though. So maybe that one has improved.

I know the local club has been running some weekend leagues at some of the ball golf courses in the area. I've heard great things about them, but haven't checked it out for myself. Check out the Tucson Disc Golf club on Facebook for details.

This time it might be permanent at Marana from what I was hearing, a levee broke and there are no imminent plans of repairing it. There might be a move to the flood layout that stays out of the low areas of the course, but I don't know the status of that.

There is a perimeter course that is in place, but is merely a shell of the courses former glory.

Tucson courses

You're right about that. You will be playing on rocks and other rough terrain here.

As for the courses, here's the rundown...

Marana - The levee broke and the course is flooded. They have a modified layout now but are apparently still holding leagues. For updates, check maranadiscgolf.com

Santa Cruz River Park- The "Big" course in Tucson and it's the only one with 18 baskets and has "A" and "B" tee pads with signs on the "A" pads. If you ask the locals, they can also show you the "C" tees. The course is laid out fairly well but it's dirt only. There's no grass to be found here. You will almost always find someone playing this course and the leagues draw a lot of people.

Groves Park - This is my personal favorite in town. It has 9 baskets but is played as 18, reverse direction for the back 9. The course has grass and decent tee pads, "A" and "B". Again, locals can show you the "C" tees. The local crowd is friendly and the course is usually in good shape.

Sears Park - It's the new course in town and does not have concrete pads yet. You'll have to look for the little "Whiskers". Like Groves Park, this course has 9 baskets but is played as 18 holes. Officially it only has "A" tees but if you look for the dead grass spots, you might find the unofficial "B" tees. The "A" tees are really short and can easily be played with a putter and/or mid.

Sam Lena Park - It's no longer maintained and I don't think anyone actually plays here.

We also have a PDGA sanctioned league currently happening at a local ball golf course. Hopefully this will become a permanent course.

Check tucsondiscgolf.com for information about the local leagues and such.

Last edited:
For reference, I am getting a teebird to 400, buzz to 300/330 range, and new or champ xd will get me out to 270-300 ish. Will this be ok down there or should I try to bring a more complete bag (understable stable overstable mid and drivers)?
If you stick to the "A" or "B" tees, you'll be fine. Some of the alternate "C" tees might be over 400ft. but generally speaking, the courses are short here.

Marana is actually almost 90% dry in the original layout, BUT there is a lot of overgrowth and trimming/cleanup needed. Last I heard is the city will help. The broken levee has been temporarily fixed for about 2months now. They built up the wall with dirt but with erosion and flooding it won't last. We have a flooded layout that we still have leagues at 7am Saturday's.

I will be landing Monday around 530 and leaving Friday afternoon. Plan on hitting the Wednesday/Thursday leagues. Longer holes really don't scare me, not looking to deuce everything. As long as it isn't a 400' carry over water shot. Unless it is elevated.

I played Marana and Santa Cruz 3 years ago when I was in Tucson and enjoyed both. However, Marana was really overgrown on some holes and I could not find a few of the tee pads initially, because there was so much overgrowth on some of them. Santa Cruz was a fun course, but a little confusing and dangerous at times, because some of the holes criss-cross each other. Also, I will ditto the comment about using premium plastic there. DX and other lower quality plastics will get chewed up due to the rocks/glass that seem to be everywhere at Santa Cruz. Several of my discs got chewed up pretty badly. I enjoyed the courses, but definitely need some tougher plastic to play there.

guess I will be taking a backup bag then, don't want to jeopardize my main discs

not much good golf in tucson unfortunately. Marana is probably your best bet.

It's disappointing because there is so much open space, especially in the northwest part of town.

not much good golf in tucson unfortunately.
It's really sad actually. We can literally play year round and the DG community is pretty big here. The TDGC has been doing a lot of community outreach lately though and that seems to be helping. So far this year, we've had three tournaments on ball golf courses and we just started a PDGA sanctioned league on a ball golf course. I'm really hoping to see this become a permanent thing at one of the local ball golf courses...

It's really sad actually. We can literally play year round and the DG community is pretty big here. The TDGC has been doing a lot of community outreach lately though and that seems to be helping. So far this year, we've had three tournaments on ball golf courses and we just started a PDGA sanctioned league on a ball golf course. I'm really hoping to see this become a permanent thing at one of the local ball golf courses...

Mike has been doing great things with the club as of late. I wish the AZDGC would follow that example.

Mike has been doing great things with the club as of late. I wish the AZDGC would follow that example.
I have a few issues with the club and/or local DG community but you're right, Mike and the club have been doing some good things lately. I think the events at Quail Canyon have gone really well and I think they(ball golf stiffs) are seeing the potential of DG on their courses.

Latest posts