• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Twin Cities Winter 2014 Guide

I played Hansen today and that was in great shape. Kudos to whoever shovels those pads. In the afternoon I played a quick round at Eagle's with my sons. I had cleaned them up yesterday knowing that the leftovers would melt today.

In general I am very appreciative of this week's weather. I was able to play without ribbons today. I did have to search for a Comet for 20 minutes, but that was a fluke. Everything else stayed on top and or was easy to find, especially since I was having trouble finding the fairways.

Hansen is always in terrible shape, it must of been the one time ever that those garbage teepads were shoveled. Usually pc, acorn, kp and brp are in good shape

Played BRP on Saturday. Got in 18 and barely had trouble finding discs without ribbons. I opted to throw more mid ranges than my buddy who threw lots of drivers and his cut into the snow and got buried much more often. He had to search a few times.

I thought it was well worth the trip to BRP. Good crowd out there when we showed up but we were the last ones to leave about 5:45. It was sort of nice to not have to deal with a huge crowd or any bugs at BRP for once. Was able to wear just jeans, jacket, hat and gloves without a problem. I wore waterproof hiking shoes but if you stayed on the fairway you could get away with warm socks and some older shoes you don't care if they get wet.

Overall, very impressed and stoked to get out. I will be making at least one more trip there this winter. Thanks to everyone putting in work for a great MN Winter Disc Golf season!

Snow is 50% gone in southeastern Minnesota - lots of grass showing through

I was contemplating a Des Moines trip again. I ran down there last year to play a couple rounds when I got sick of the snow and cold here in St. Paul. I'd do it again as long as I pick a better day for the roads (took 5 hours to get to Des Moines, around 3 to get back the next day).

Played Lakewood in WBL yesterday. Pretty disappointed at the condition of the pads. Some were clean concrete while others were completely iced over.

And Tim J, you troll you

The hard working, Lakewood snow clearing crew is currently taking a well-deserved, disc golf vacation in Hawaii.

How is Como looking for this weekend?

It is a temp course, so it will be relatively fresh on Saturday and completely tore up on Sunday. We are supposed to get 2 inches of snow over the next two days but there are plenty of spots in the Twin Cities right now where the grass is trying to break through.

Even if we get that two inches this year, it should still be an easy play. I have only seen one year in the last six where the snow was not at least half way up to the knee.

It is a temp course, so it will be relatively fresh on Saturday and completely tore up on Sunday. We are supposed to get 2 inches of snow over the next two days but there are plenty of spots in the Twin Cities right now where the grass is trying to break through.

Even if we get that two inches this year, it should still be an easy play. I have only seen one year in the last six where the snow was not at least half way up to the knee.

Awesome, thanks! :hfive:

What's the deal with this? I'd love to play the course but I also don't play in tournaments for various reasons. Is there opportunity for me and a buddy to donate some funds and play a round when the tournament is over?

What's the deal with this? I'd love to play the course but I also don't play in tournaments for various reasons. Is there opportunity for me and a buddy to donate some funds and play a round when the tournament is over?

You need to talk to Char (GGGT) about this. Charlie usually puts the baskets up around 7am and takes down about half of them Saturday evening (he might take them all down if no one is committed to playing the overnight marathon). He will do the same thing on Sunday, preferring everything to be wrapped up no later than 5 or 6pm.

There have been issues in the past were non-tournament players have jumped onto the temp course and started playing. They did not want to pay for the tournament because they did not want to participate, contribute, and or be eligible for prizes. They just wanted to play the layout. It interfered with many groups and angered a lot of people.

As for not playing because it is a tournament, I think this is a worthy exception. The tournament itself is a charity event and that alone should be motivation enough. It is non-sanctioned, so it will not hurt or help your rating if that is a concern. Also, GGGT does a pay-out schedule that lumps final scores into groupings and then pays out the top players in those groupings. Say, the top ten players (after the tournament is over) get lumped together and of those the top five get funny money. The next ten players are lumped together and the top five from there get funny (slightly decreased in comparison to the first group). Therefore you can finish 10th overall and get nothing but finish 11th and get quite a bit. Superficially it seems unfair because if you had played one throw better or one throw worse, you could get nothing or a large payday. However, they have been doing this for years and it really draws in lower skilled players because there is a chance they can get something.

Again, remember it is for charity, and it is the only time of the year you can play this layout.

I'll give another vote to this is a worthy exception to "I don't play tournaments for various reasons" As stated above, it's a very casual charity event. There is basically no difference between what you are asking to do "donate some funds and play a round" and paying to play the "tournament." Show up with a group of friends, pay the entry, play with that group of friends at your own pace doing whatever you want and you've effectively played the tournament.

Interesting.

One of the various reasons I don't play in tournaments is that I enjoy playing with the guys I know. Ultimately, there's only a chance for one of them to come out and play this weekend with me. If we show up together, both throw down the entry fee, would we be able to play through the course at our own leisure? We're sort of pokey and not as skilled as many tournament players so we obviously let others play through. But I also hate to be "that group" of two guys that are killing the vibe or getting in the way.

Interesting.

One of the various reasons I don't play in tournaments is that I enjoy playing with the guys I know. Ultimately, there's only a chance for one of them to come out and play this weekend with me. If we show up together, both throw down the entry fee, would we be able to play through the course at our own leisure? We're sort of pokey and not as skilled as many tournament players so we obviously let others play through. But I also hate to be "that group" of two guys that are killing the vibe or getting in the way.

You may want to make a foursome to help with "being that group" because people seem more tolerant of large slow groups versus small slow pairs. There are always singles who show up looking for groups, mainly because they do not know the course.

Either way, since it is non-sanctioned, a lot of the PDGA rules are thrown out the window. There is no penalty for allowing groups to play through if they are faster than you. The only thing that is asked is that you play them in order. No one likes it when people hole-jump.

Trust me, it is worth it even if just for the scenery. Many of the holes play by and or through historical landmarks. A lot of photo opportunities.

Winter carnival tomorrow!

Stupid weather for always checking my calendar before dumping on me. It knew I signed up to play the Winter Carnival on Sunday. Saturday is supposed to be really nice, maybe a little wet on the ground, but otherwise warm and relatively snow free. I could throw my normal discs. Overnight we are supposed to received 2-4 inches of snow which is going to completely change the complexion of the course. I may have to ribbon-up some more discs.

The weather ALWAYS does this; taunts me when I cannot play with really nice weather and then craps out just in time for me to go out. I was really looking forward to a non-winter winter round this year because I am trying to gel with my normal discs during a (semi) competitive round. Unfortunately duct tape does not stick well to Lucid/Opto/VIP and BioFuzion. My Gstar, it is next to impossible to get duct tape off, making them ideal winter discs, but they just do not fly the same. There are no replacements for my Harps, Truths, and Swords; the three discs I would drive with on the majority of the holes.

Latest posts