• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

UDisc Questions

My son recommended Udisc to me when I first started playing 5-6 years ago. I always use it, even for solo rounds which I play alot. It helps me measure my improvement and track my level of activity. I just can't play a round without it.

My son recommended Udisc to me when I first started playing 5-6 years ago. I always use it, even for solo rounds which I play alot. It helps me measure my improvement and track my level of activity. I just can't play a round without it.

The level of activity I get, it is nice seeing how many rounds I've played this year, the steps a course took (so I don't have to do math of before/after on my watch), etc.

But with some courses around here changing pin placements so often and the 20+ configurations not in Udisc it is hard to compare a round from today to one 2 weeks ago as the course was slightly different. Not udisc's fault, just an annoyance I had to get off my chest. ;)

But with some courses around here changing pin placements so often and the 20+ configurations not in Udisc it is hard to compare a round from today to one 2 weeks ago as the course was slightly different. Not udisc's fault, just an annoyance I had to get off my chest. ;)

That is the one big downfall with UDisc.

That is the one big downfall with UDisc.

I wouldn't say it's a downfall of UDisc, it's just a downfall of wanting to track your stats at courses that regularly switch pin positions.

I will say, however, I wish UDisc would allow you to choose the pin position within rounds, rather than just pick a layout prior to the round. But this would probably require signage that clearly displayed which pin positions are which.

I wouldn't say it's a downfall of UDisc, it's just a downfall of wanting to track your stats at courses that regularly switch pin positions.

I will say, however, I wish UDisc would allow you to choose the pin position within rounds, rather than just pick a layout prior to the round. But this would probably require signage that clearly displayed which pin positions are which.

Our local course steward updates the default Udisc layouts after moving the baskets. He's a peach!

Our local course steward updates the default Udisc layouts after moving the baskets. He's a peach!

That's great! But it still doesn't always help when breaking down your stats on a specific hole.

For my home course, each basket has two positions except for one, which has three positions. But they don't all get moved together. It's generally 4-5 that get moved at random. This creates a seemingly endless amount of "layouts" which is only substantiated by having multiple teepads.

Rather than UDisc having "layouts", it should allow you to input the pad and basket placement of each hole you play so you could see your stats based on that specific scenario. But that would require clear signage for every basket placement/teepad.

A scoring app really needs to allow for any combination of tee and pin placement.

The review features on Udisc and DGCR each have their strengths and their weaknesses.

The DGCR reviews are usually well thought out, articulate, comprehensive, and completed by experienced disc golf players. After reading the reviews for a course you understand in detail why it has a particular overall rating. Most of the reviews focus on course design, and many of the reviewers have designed courses or at least have some knowledge of course design fundamentals. On the other hand, quality reviews take time to complete, which limits the number of reviews posted for each course.

The Udisc reviews are mostly just a number rating, with few reviewers even taking the time to leave a comment. Instead of a review on the course design, they seem to be more of an indication of the overall experience that players have on a course. Since it takes little time or thought to post a review, many of the reviews are made by new players with little understanding of what makes up a great disc golf course. Long grass on fairways is a typical reason I see for poor reviews. That being said, Udisc has significantly more "reviews" than DGCR.

Using my home course as an example, in the 5 years it's been open there have been a total of 3 reviews on DGCR, the most recent being a year and a half ago. It's hard to get a consensus opinion about a course with only three reviews. Also, a lot has changed in that time, so the three reviews don't really give an accurate depiction of the course as it exists now. During that same time, there have been 674 reviews on Udisc. Not much in the way of comments, but with that many reviews I can at least tell what the average disc golf player thinks about it.

Neither is perfect, so for now I just use them both.

No doubt the increase in UDisc's popularity has taken a bite out of DGCR activity.

UDisc gives a lot of options, especially if you have the pro version (free if you are a PDGA member). You can keep track of what discs are in your bag, you can get distances for your throws, you can record your scores and details like putts (number and Circle1 or Circle2) and penalties, you can compare your rounds at the same course to see how you do on each hole (I use this a lot), you can get directions to a course.

UDisc got a big boost from tournaments doing live scoring, but that may 'shrink or go away' soon as the PDGA now offers PDGA Live Scoring. ((PDGA has its own app now Disc Golf 2 - it doesn't do much beyond keep scores, but it will show you what your rating would have been if the round had been sanctioned)).

Anybody know what beef UDisc and Innova have. I find it kinda odd that on UDisc live everyone has their main sponsors on there but if you are sponsored by Innova then it's not listed.

Anybody know what beef UDisc and Innova have. I find it kinda odd that on UDisc live everyone has their main sponsors on there but if you are sponsored by Innova then it's not listed.

Scroll to the bottom of live scoring and there's a list of 2023 Partners.
Innova chose to not be a partner this year.
This is the explanation I got directly from UDisc

Contact a UDisc Member

I have the Username of a member on UDisc, does anyone know how I can contact them using that Username?

Latest posts