• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unapproachable approaches?

While I have never played this hole and I may be completely wrong, I look at this as a shot where the conservative approach nets me a higher aggregate score. I would see myself placing that hard skip shot a high percentage of the time and either be C2 putting for 2 or making an incredibly easy upshot. If I tried to lay that up each time I am certain I would hit guardian trees from that extra 50'+ out I would be and take more 4's.

I've probably played close to 100 rounds with Schwebby, who is renowned for his incredibly accurate thumper skip shot, at Valley Springs since the Fore More holes went in, and there's a reason that he DOESN'T throw it on this hole.

What you can't easily see in the vid is that the fairway floor is heavily littered with rocks, stumps, exposed roots, and downed branches that are going to eat up 80-90% of your skip shots. You also don't see the 25-30' rise from the teepad to the corner.

Don't over complicate it. The fairway seems pretty wide open according to the sign near the parking lot. Just keep it out of the trees and you'll be fine.

The sign doesn't come close to representing the reality on the ground. While the sign roughly approximates the shape of the hole, the fairway is significantly tighter and the dogleg is significantly sharper than the gentle, sweeping turn shown on the sign. Consider that three of the five player on the card in the video linked upthread were 1000+ rated (Schwebby, Barry, Lance) at the time the video was shot and the other two (Nathan and Casey) were 990+, yet none of them negotiated the turn and penetrated down the fairway successfully, and that only one of them (Casey, whose throw from the teepad hit a tree 20-25' short of the corner but took a fortunate kick (forward and right) into the center of the fairway for the Blue tee) had a clean look at the green on his second throw. (Notice that Schwebby pitches up rather than putting for deuce, due to the iron leaves and saplings crowding the basket.)

The sign doesn't come close to representing the reality on the ground.

It was my attempt at humor. Guess I failed.

Seriously though, if a guy rolled up and looked at the course layout on the sign he would be sadly disappointed when he hit the course and found out those fairways weren't as nice and open as the picture.

Seriously though, if a guy rolled up and looked at the course layout on the sign he would be sadly disappointed when he hit the course and found out those fairways weren't as nice and open as the picture.

Or he might be happy to find that it's a truly wooded hole and not a wide open path to the basket. :):):)

Don't worry, I got the joke!

But seriously, that hole really is an outlier. Most of the holes at Valley Springs have much more well defined fairways. Plenty of things to hit, but, even as a noob, I have never feel like I was unsure of the designed line, except for 22.

These types of holes are not my favorites but it's what I have FH rollers and Polecats for.

Latest posts