• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Underrated discs

Sonic as an upshot disc. No one really gives it a fair shot.

The Boss. Now hear me out. I know that most noobs go out and get a Boss to forehand flick around the course, which is fine by me, but I believe this has given the Boss a bad reputation because of the stereotype that has been attached to it. Also, I rarely see a "good" player pull a Boss out of their bag and I rarely hear anything mentioned on this forum about that disc. The Boss is my favorite long d driver bar none. If I have a tad bit of open space in front of me I always pull this disc out and for whatever reason it is my furthest flyer.

i love my bosses but i know what ur saying

White OLF in millenniums standard plastic - wears into a straght no fade driver and then an easy roller, cheap too. I'm not sure why the white ones always seem better - that's probably in my head, eh . . They just feel better.

I would say the Stratus.

Great for holding the Anhyzer lines. I love it. I used to play with the Meteor, which in it's own right is another underrated disc, but the Meteor turned more at the end for me.

i'll second the sonic. crazy disc. a magical, controllable approach disc.

for drivers, i'll say the viking is underrated. and the flash.

Discraft Meteor, I have only played with one other player who had one. You can pull off some silky smooth fairway flip shots with it. Also, I hear a lot of hate on the Discraft Stalker. It is a very error release forgiving mold and has become my favorite fairway driver.

Also, I hear a lot of hate on the Discraft Stalker. It is a very error release forgiving mold and has become my favorite fairway driver.

I second the Stalker. People say the Glide is lacking, but to tell you the truth, I like that it doesn't have crazy glide. I played today on a very technical course and I used the Stalker on a lot of straight shots. Mine is an awesome glow pearly Z yellow which makes me like it more.

Yeah the Viking is very underrated. If they made them in star, and they molded up nicely, I'd buy a stack.

Any of gateways mids are underrated. As is the spirit.

The viper used to get a lot of love but its kind of fallen off. Great FH approach disc.

And the glide. Good disc.

The Sonic and Rattler. They're both lid-style putters and on opposite ends of the stability spectrum. I use both on shorter holes when wind (and time!) isn't a factor. The Rattler is great on high, straight shots that need just a slight fade. I flip the Sonic to flat, and it locks on target and doesn't fade at all. They're both great for getting out of trouble when your movement is seriously hindered.

My local course is a pitch and putt, and I love the looks I get parking a Rattler (it moves so slow you could almost beat it to the basket) after someone rips a driver that skips past the basket.

To the other Sonic lovers here, you might want to check out this social group.

Ontario Rocs are pretty under appreciated. I very rarely run into anyone else throwing them and it blows my mind that people think it's just a crappy version of a Rancho.

I don't think this qualifies as the most underrated, but something that ought to be said:
I think a lot of the hate for grooves is because it's the cool thing to do. I would say that at least 1 in 4 groove bashers haven't even thrown one. I don't think it's an awesome disc or anything but it certainly sucks a lot less than plenty of innova's other drivers. (Vulcan, tee devil, and archon come to mind). I was bombing the crap out of them just for kicks the other day and they actually flew pretty nicely and went VERY far.... I think I'm going to enter a distance comp with one just to piss people off.

Cobras but the most underated disc ive ever thrown with a lot of luck is the rage it was my go to fh driver for a couple years

The Ringer, doesn't seem to get much attention but it's my go to disc for short drives. I also think the Credo by Crosslap is a very good underrated overstable putter. The rim takes a little getting used to but after that it rocks.

I would say the Stratus.

Great for holding the Anhyzer lines. I love it. I used to play with the Meteor, which in it's own right is another underrated disc, but the Meteor turned more at the end for me.

I will second this. Many discs come and go from my bag, but the Stratus always has a place in it. For some reason, not many around here throw it, but the ones that do seem to love 'em. Tons of glide, too.

I think that the Banshee gets omitted from a lot of bags because people LOVE the Firebird. However, I prefer the Banshee because I like the 7 speed and find it easier to control.

The Ace Race discs tend to have a lot of overlap with other established discs. I do throw a Hornet because it has just the right amount of OS for me and glides better than the Drone, IMO. My friend recently told me the Zeppelin is an awesome catch disc.

Also, I think the XCaliber is over rated and more consistant discs like the Teerex and PD2 are never discovered because of it's popularity. Maybe my *XCal was just a fluke but I didn't find it to be as "beefy" as the flight ratings.

Lastly, I think the Boatman is an under rated disc living in the shadows of the Wraith. Both are great discs but I find the Boatman slightly easier to control.

Sentinel
Blaze
Cheetah
And so far, the Rival. I absolutely love it and haven't heard much around these parts