• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Understable Forehand Midrange

ponder

Eagle Member
So I've been looking for a an understable midrange to work on forehand hyzerflips with. Ideally it would be flat topped,beadless and lower speed. Comfortable to grip and easy to get clean releases with. Does a disc that meets all these criteria even exist?

I've tried a 400g M4 and it feels great but it is way more stable than I anticipated. More of a neutral disc then understable for me. Thrown on a hyzer it will actually hold the hyzer. It will fight out of anhyzer angles and is fairly torque resistant.

I was contemplating a prodiscus stari but it is super hard to find any information on them. Infinite has them listed as 5/4/-2/1, marshal street has it rated at 4/4/-2/0 and prodiscus has it listed as 6/4/-1/1. Which leads me to believe that this is a more neutral higher speed mid similar to the m4. Does anyone here have experience with this disc?

How about an Axiom Proxy or Theory? Those are flat topped and understable. I haven't thrown those discs but I do like worn in Atoms for a slower understable disc and they are quite similar... Gotta say tho, isn't a hyzerflip forehand with those style of discs basically a BH approach shot with a putter? Can't say a I would spend much time perfecting that shot but I guess it could have its uses.

Buzz SS? I only use the prophecy and wasp but I practice FH with a 150g. Stingray and a beat up Archer.

A Latitude 64 Fuse, Discraft Meteor or an X-line Buzzz after a little bit of use would work.

I do these shots quite a bit and I use a beat up Roc or Comet. The beads don't bother me anymore, I just got used to it.

Just like being good for cleaning up back hand form, nothing will clean up your forehand form faster than a Comet.

I have 2 Premium STARi . . i would say the numbers are 5,5/5/-2/0,5.

I have a few 750 M4 in my bag and the STARi is more US, , nice long anhyzer disc, i used to throw METEOR now i throw STARi

It's possibly a bit faster than you would want, but the Atomic Piwakawaka would fit this bill pretty well.

I do these shots quite a bit and I use a beat up Roc or Comet. The beads don't bother me anymore, I just got used to it.

Just like being good for cleaning up back hand form, nothing will clean up your forehand form faster than a Comet.

Agreed

I don't carry an extra disc for these type of shots - I just use what I normally would for a backhand. I'm using a comet for a forehand hyzer flip or turnover shot.

Go to an Ace Race if you can, those disc are neutral/understable with a low profile, I've been using mine in the backyard for hyzerflip forehands, throwing them back and forth, they really tell me what's going on with my wrist and release angle.

So I've been looking for a an understable midrange to work on forehand hyzerflips with. Ideally it would be flat topped,beadless and lower speed. Comfortable to grip and easy to get clean releases with. Does a disc that meets all these criteria even exist?

I've tried a 400g M4 and it feels great but it is way more stable than I anticipated. More of a neutral disc then understable for me. Thrown on a hyzer it will actually hold the hyzer. It will fight out of anhyzer angles and is fairly torque resistant.

I was contemplating a prodiscus stari but it is super hard to find any information on them. Infinite has them listed as 5/4/-2/1, marshal street has it rated at 4/4/-2/0 and prodiscus has it listed as 6/4/-1/1. Which leads me to believe that this is a more neutral higher speed mid similar to the m4. Does anyone here have experience with this disc?

Are you wanting to throw over 80% power? Or pretty controlled and slower?

I love a Z Buzzz for forehands, one in particular is great for forehand anny shots that have become a definite strength in my approach and scramble game. I'm not sure it's really a hyzer flip disc like you're looking for, but I'll do frequent 200' FH hyzer to straight shots that are great for tunnels. Some Z Buzzzes might be a little more HSS, so I'd second giving an X a try if you want. But the Buzzz fits the bill as far as comfort, bead situation, and being close enough to flat.

Some have mentioned Comet, but Comets don't like forehands if thrown more than 50% power or so. Nevertheless, they're great for annys that need some more air under them than the ones I use the Buzzz for.

A Z Meteor would be a decent option, better than Comet, if you want to be able to put some juice on it. But it will turn easy if there's any OAT.

You might also consider an Opto Pure...

Many options. Again, what kinda throws are you trying to make?

if you can bh a disc you can fh it too

i use a beat buzz anything but pro d cuz pro d scraps and will cut your hand up after 3 flicks

Yes, think we need to know what ARMILLER is asking below. If you're throwing at 70%+ power, I'd imagine you got a freak M4. It is neutral like you say but should hyzerflip to flat pretty effortlessly (maybe at 50% power even). If you're just gently tossing it as an upshot, it could hold hyzer or potentially pull out of an anhyzer…

Are you wanting to throw over 80% power? Or pretty controlled and slower?

I love a Z Buzzz for forehands, one in particular is great for forehand anny shots that have become a definite strength in my approach and scramble game. I'm not sure it's really a hyzer flip disc like you're looking for, but I'll do frequent 200' FH hyzer to straight shots that are great for tunnels. Some Z Buzzzes might be a little more HSS, so I'd second giving an X a try if you want. But the Buzzz fits the bill as far as comfort, bead situation, and being close enough to flat.

Some have mentioned Comet, but Comets don't like forehands if thrown more than 50% power or so. Nevertheless, they're great for annys that need some more air under them than the ones I use the Buzzz for.

A Z Meteor would be a decent option, better than Comet, if you want to be able to put some juice on it. But it will turn easy if there's any OAT.

You might also consider an Opto Pure...

Many options. Again, what kinda throws are you trying to make?

Last edited:
I have a crap forehand, only using it on scrambles where I have to.
I prefer trying to flip a mid up, in an attempt to avoid my usual miss: wrist roll into an anny release.
If I can get it to flip, a regular forehand player shouldn't have a problem:

esp_swirl_meteor_sk.jpg

I actually use a Champion Panther in this spot. I was flirting with the MVP Vertex, but found it not to be as understable as touted. The Champ Panther is honestly one of my favorite mid range discs and one of three mixed brands in my otherwise all legacy bag. Legay just doesn't have that type of mid yet that I like. The gauge is just not comfortable in my hand at all.

I recommend the Evidence for this. They are what the M4 wants to be: glidey and neutral understable. They will flip up to flat and float but won't turn and burn unless you really do so.ething wrong.

Sounds like you know what you want in terms of hand feel.
Buzzz may be the answer for beadles/lower speed/and I think the tops are relatively flat on most.

You could also just keep the M4 flying and beat the bejeezus out of it.

I throw FT Rocs for FH hyzer-flip mid shots, but they fight back at the end of the flight. (Also: bead. So maybe not your favorite.) Rat is beadles and flies a tighter line but it also comes back to fade. I don't really throw FH shots that are intended to flip and never come back...except rollers! :)

Depends on how clean you can throw it. I have no issues with a straight shot out to ~225' with a hyzer flip. (most of my forehand shots are only out to 275' with drivers)

Latest posts