• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

The UpperPark Focus

I picked up my UP Focus and like it so far. Its my first disc golf bag, so I really don't have a basis for comparison. I'll just go through the pros and cons.

Pros:

-Water Bladder (camelback) compatible
-Lightweight & Ergonomic
-Holds around 10-14disc depending on the size
-Fast shipping

Cons:

-Mini pocket is too big. Minis fall out
-No storage for hoodies, pencil pocket, towel loop
-Elastic can make discs hard to get in

All and all I really like this bag. It hugs your body, and feels like a small camelbak. If youre looking for a lightweight, water bladder capable, comfortable bag, and aren't into carrying a lot of disks I highly recommend it.

What's everyone's current setup for the shift?

I've got 20 in there right now but that seems like pushing the limits :/

I usually go with 16, sometimes 18 if wind is really in play. The most I've had was 20 for a very technical course with lots of water requiring possible backups.

But, yeah. Usually, 16.

Anybody have one of the "slight shifts" and have thoughts after using it for awhile?

Anybody have one of the "slight shifts" and have thoughts after using it for awhile?

I've had the slight shift for about 6 weeks now and am very satisfied overall. The balancing when setting the bag down is the only issue for me as the bag lacks the sturdiness of some of the other brands. However, the bag is extremely light even when fully loaded and is very comfortable to wear. You can't beat the price too. The slight portion isn't much of an issue to me but it is noticeable because it is hard to get a single disc into the middle slot. I just keep my rarely used disc in there and it works fine. Hope this helps.:thmbup:

I have been using the slight shift for 2 months now. And so far it's my favorite bag I have used. If they made like 5 changes it could be one of best bags out there.

Same as the others. Phenomenal bag. Better than anything else I've ever used. Noticeably lighter than a Ranger or Grip, better balance than a purse with quad straps, much higher quality construction than any other bag in the price range, and the convenience of vertical storage is incredible. I never thought that simple feature would change my view so much. The "Slight" middle pocket is snug, but I can easily fit a fairway or driver in there with three mids in the bottom pocket, four drivers in top, and four to six discs on each side.

I have been using the slight shift for 2 months now. And so far it's my favorite bag I have used. If they made like 5 changes it could be one of best bags out there.
What 5 changes would you make? Just curious

I know that wasn't directed towards me, but on the surface I would like to see the water closer towards the back. Seems like it would pull on the bag and the user some.

I am debating pulling the trigger, but first want to find one locally to try on ;)

What 5 changes would you make? Just curious
1. Take off the pretty much useless waist straps and pockets, and useless sternum stap and put a couple more useful sized pockets somewhere.

2. Make the bag just tall enough for one more inside vertical slot so you can carry 18-20 discs easier.

3. The top part of the bag where the carry handle and D rings are needs to be fixed/moved and stiffer so its out of the way of the top vertical slot. And so items attached to the D rings stay hanging on the side.

4. Adjust the angles on at least the farthest outside pockets so you can easily grab a disc while wearing the bag.

5. The bungee cord and pocket on the main zippered opening is kinda pointless unless you leave it zipped up and only use the outside pockets. I would take off the bungee cord and put elastic straps on the sides for an umbrella/stool/etc holder. Move the zippered pocket to slightly above and behind the water bottle holder.

There could be a couple more minor changes but those are the main ones in my opinion and I believe would keep the cost close to what it is now but for my suggestions I would pay 150-170

1. Take off the pretty much useless waist straps and pockets, and useless sternum stap and put a couple more useful sized pockets somewhere.

Funny these straps are part of what makes it appealing to me. Are they removable on the shift? Thought I read that somewhere.

Funny these straps are part of what makes it appealing to me. Are they removable on the shift? Thought I read that somewhere.
It's more the useless pockets than the waist straps. But what disc golfer would want to buckle and unbuckle the waist and sternum straps every throw?

On a course with a decent hike or some terrain, me. Or when I ride my bike to the course they would be handy. If easily removable then they are easily ditchable.

I wear packs all the time though, buckling straps is almost as smooth of a motion as putting it on.

On a course with a decent hike or some terrain, me. Or when I ride my bike to the course they would be handy. If easily removable then they are easily ditchable.

I wear packs all the time though, buckling straps is almost as smooth of a motion as putting it on.
Interesting the only time when I actually use waist and sternum straps is when the load is heavy or a long hike and even if I had my disc golf bag fully loaded it still wouldn't be very heavy and I have yet to play a course that made me wish I had those straps. But people are different.

I feel the waist pockets are useful on the Shift, and they are part of the shoulder strap design.

I don't have the newest version of the Shift so I can't comment on the d-ring.

If you want to carry more than 16-17 discs get the Rebel, I like the capacity and size of the Shift.

Water bottle location keeps the bag stable and I don't feel any pulling due to the weight.

You can remove the sternum strap and the bungee if you don't care for them. As for the outside flap pocket, why not have it, otherwise it's just waisted space. I use it for my keys and wallet as I don't need to access them during play.

*What I would like to see to finish the bag off:

1. Somehow add a little rigidity to the sides

2. Add an interior sleeve to contain the exterior flap when it's folded into the bag so it doesn't take up the useful storage space in the main bottom area of the bag.

It's more the useless pockets than the waist straps. But what disc golfer would want to buckle and unbuckle the waist and sternum straps every throw?

The waist pockets may be useless to you, but, quite apart from providing a conveniently accessible place for a wallet, keys, cellphone, birdie bag, etc., they're perfectly sized and positioned to provide immediate access to my inhaler, nitro pills, and epi-pen in the event of a health emergency, so they're FAR from useless for me.

You do realize the sternum and waist straps (but not the pockets) are already removeable, don't you?

I feel the waist pockets are useful on the Shift, and they are part of the shoulder strap design.

I don't have the newest version of the Shift so I can't comment on the d-ring.

If you want to carry more than 16-17 discs get the Rebel, I like the capacity and size of the Shift.

Water bottle location keeps the bag stable and I don't feel any pulling due to the weight.

You can remove the sternum strap and the bungee if you don't care for them. As for the outside flap pocket, why not have it, otherwise it's just waisted space. I use it for my keys and wallet as I don't need to access them during play.

*What I would like to see to finish the bag off:

1. Somehow add a little rigidity to the sides

2. Add an interior sleeve to contain the exterior flap when it's folded into the bag so it doesn't take up the useful storage space in the main bottom area of the bag.

I like the capacity of the shift that's why I got it I carry 16 discs but being able to carry 2-4 more discs and not having to force them in out would be nice but I don't need 25+ capacity of the rebel

It makes more sense to move it so you can have a pocket you can have 100% access to at all times. And why not have a bungee where its a 100% usable? But again just my opinions.

I stuff the flap in the water bottle pocket