• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

I just pre-ordered the Focus...total price gouge with tax and shipping but since it was an anniversary present I went ahead and spent the money the spousal unit had earned. I've only seen one of these bags (Focus) and the owner loved it. I play a ton of quick rounds with 4-8 discs and figured this would be a nice fit. I'll post a review in a 6 weeks (+/-) when I get it. So I'm of no help at all right now...:\

I just pre-ordered the Focus...total price gouge with tax and shipping but since it was an anniversary present I went ahead and spent the money the spousal unit had earned. I've only seen one of these bags (Focus) and the owner loved it. I play a ton of quick rounds with 4-8 discs and figured this would be a nice fit. I'll post a review in a 6 weeks (+/-) when I get it. So I'm of no help at all right now...:\

I'm really tempted to get a Focus, but that price for the ability to carry 10 discs is steep. Does the $80 price tag come with a water bladder? I know they did some of that in the past.

^No water bladder and pay extra for shipping. I didn't get the bladder hoping one of the camelbak bladders I already have fit it well.

I love my first gen focus. It took me a bit to get over the price tag, but I use this bag more than any other since my local course is basically just a nice pitch and putt style. I'm pretty confident you'll love it as well.

^ Are you using the bladder in it? If so, is it the one they sell (made by another company I forgot the name of) or is it a camelbak bladder?

I have the one they sell. My last bladder was from the army and was super hard to clean and that ended up being the death of it, so I liked the idea of being able to turn this one inside out to clean. Really it came down to the fact that I needed one, so why not get the one that it was designed for. How big is yours though? I imagine if you have one that is larger than 2L you'll have trouble with it, but I don't know.

I pre-ordered a focus today. I am quite excited about it.

There have been comments that Osprey is involved. I have not found the piece that explains how. As stated several other times on this forum, I travel about every 3 weeks. All of my travel gear is Osprey. My oldest bag is the one that gets checked and has for a few more than 7 years. It still looks like a new one.

The Shift is one of the more appealing bags to me, as it looks like it's compact and would carry the perfect amount of discs for most rounds, but I really don't like the side pockets at the waist. Does anyone know if these can be removed? Their website says the "straps" are removable, but doesn't specifically mention the side pockets.

Also, does the Shift have the capacity for a bladder? I don't think it does but wanted to confirm.

I have the one they sell. My last bladder was from the army and was super hard to clean and that ended up being the death of it, so I liked the idea of being able to turn this one inside out to clean. Really it came down to the fact that I needed one, so why not get the one that it was designed for. How big is yours though? I imagine if you have one that is larger than 2L you'll have trouble with it, but I don't know.

I have 1.5L and a 2.0L from camelbak so I'm hoping one fits well. Plus I have the insulated tube and dirt cover that can be used on either. Hope I don't need to spend another 30$ for a bladder...time will tell and it'll be in my review....

From Upper Park regarding materials:

"From where we are at now the materials are a 300d rip stop poly and a 600d heavy weave poly. Both with a water resistance and a PU coating for durability and protection. We are still awaiting durability testing results from the material manufacturing company and will post those then they arrive."

"We have requested durability tests to prove that 1000d is overkill for regular use and adds excess weight for long rounds. As long as the base is durable as heck, well made and protected materials will last for years"

From Upper Park regarding materials:

"From where we are at now the materials are a 300d rip stop poly and a 600d heavy weave poly. Both with a water resistance and a PU coating for durability and protection. We are still awaiting durability testing results from the material manufacturing company and will post those then they arrive."

"We have requested durability tests to prove that 1000d is overkill for regular use and adds excess weight for long rounds. As long as the base is durable as heck, well made and protected materials will last for years"

For me personally, the issue is less the durability of the materials and more the fact that, for a similar price, I can get higher grade materials. For the lower end stuff, I feel like the price should be lower.

For me personally, the issue is less the durability of the materials and more the fact that, for a similar price, I can get higher grade materials. For the lower end stuff, I feel like the price should be lower.
Agreed, but also keep in mind that you're paying for a 10 year warranty with Upper Park. They're obviously pretty confident in their mfg if they present that kind of warranty.

Some give and take if you will.

EDIT: Just read that it's a "- 10 year warranty on manufacturing defects". I wonder if that means they won't cover normal wear and tear (or even bother to define normal wear and tear)??

Last edited:
Agreed, but also keep in mind that you're paying for a 10 year warranty with Upper Park. They're obviously pretty confident in their mfg if they present that kind of warranty.

Some give and take if you will.

EDIT: Just read that it's a "- 10 year warranty on manufacturing defects". I wonder if that means they won't cover normal wear and tear (or even bother to define normal wear and tear)??

No doubt. And honestly, if I hadn't sprung for the Ergo I would be looking at these. The improvements to the Shift seem nice. I'd guess wear and tear won't be covered, unless the bottom is running with holes in it within the first year.

Getting the focus and asked about the long term effect on the elastic via the warranty. No answer.

Getting the focus and asked about the long term effect on the elastic via the warranty. No answer.

Sorry about that. We are awaiting durability tests from the material manufacturer as that will determine how long the elastic is covered under warranty. As with any elastic, it will lose its "tight grip" over time on the stress points (bottom corners of each pocket) but with how the bag was designed this loosening will simply allow the discs to sit with more ease :thmbup:

Sorry about that. We are awaiting durability tests from the material manufacturer as that will determine how long the elastic is covered under warranty. As with any elastic, it will lose its "tight grip" over time on the stress points (bottom corners of each pocket) but with how the bag was designed this loosening will simply allow the discs to sit with more ease :thmbup:

Good to have you in here. :hfive:
As for the Rebel:
Do you have any pics of it being worn?
What is the weight of it empty?

I already pre-ordered a rebel bag, look forward to posting a video, pictures and a review as soon as i get it.

Thanks for the info and glad to be supporting a local company.

What about the bladder size, will a Camelbak bladder fit well?

Latest posts