• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

Alright guys working on the vid now. I'm prepping for surgery tomorrow so im hungry as hell and feeling some painkiller dizziness for sure, but as promised I'll put it together.

and fyi the rainfly is nuts I feel like I could fill my bag w stilettos and whippets and play in a hurricane with this thing! Very cool design

Sorry it's not HQ...

Alright guys here's my initial thoughts on the Rebel.

I'm feeling sick as a dog and I'm kinda drugged up on my pre surgery prescriptions so sorry for my voice being quiet. :sick:

Also I've got the windows foiled up right now because I'm really light sensitive. But I'm really excited about this bag (and company as a whole!) so now that the excuses are out of the way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loJZK3NnLNQ

If anyone wants pics of something let me know and I'll get them.

Thanks for getting that out quick to me UPD!!! :thmbup:

Sweet! How does the rainfly actually work? Looks pretty similar to the Ergo 2 rainfly? Does the velcro you mention keep the flap part attached?

Sweet! How does the rainfly actually work? Looks pretty similar to the Ergo 2 rainfly? Does the velcro you mention keep the flap part attached?

There are 3 velcro parts

1. To velcro down the flap
2. To fasten the top of the fly under the straps
3. To fasten the bottom of the opening to the bottom of the bag (attaches to the velcro for the dividers

The only exposed part of the bag are the straps and even then they are minimally exposed, just enough to still wear. The rain fly even wraps around the bottom of the bag! I wonder if the 5 feet may wear through over time. I wouldn't set it on concrete with the rainfly on.

It's seriously like a hurricane protector lol I grew up in new England and I reccomend it for all you Mass-holes throwing vibram! Go Pats! Sorry I got a Lil nostalgic for a sec...

Attachments

• 20140818_125409.jpg
    20140818_125409.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 20140818_125420.jpg
    20140818_125420.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 161
Also, size wise, how does it compare to a Grip?

Well I had a first run, and to me those were a bit bulkier than the new ones. It definitely can hold more plastic. 30 discs no problem. I'm holding 22 very comfortably, I like a bit of wiggle room. The storage is similar, actually the grip may have a tad more storage. So the guys who play up north in the winter may desire a bit more storage.

I'm holding: a baseball, a Tape Measure, 4 power bars, Galaxy s4, roll a stool (when it comes in the mail) large birdie bag, pad of scorecards, some pencils and sharpies, rainfly, windbreaker (which I couldn't find for the video, it's summer in central CA lol no wind) 2 nalgene bottles, and two towels.

Personally that's a lot of stuff to log around for me, but I understand different courses bring different needs.

So I'd say it's very similar in size, but probably holds more plastic and less accoutrements.

Another cool feature is that on those rainy rounds the way the stool holder works, it could just as well hold an open umbrella. Which I think needs to be a feature on all bags of this size and/or price point.

Lol tho funny enough, you'd have to get the rainfly around it!

Seriously that rainfly covers the whole bag pretty much.

Rainfly looks sweet.

I only carry 15-17 discs depending on the course, so I'm not really worried about capacity. Size wise, I was more referring to the actually dimensions of the bag. Do you still have your Grip you could set next to it and take a couple pics?

And for storage, since I don't plan to fill the bag with discs, I'm just doing to use the dividers to make a space in the middle of the bottom section for towels, beers, hoody, etc.

^ See my initial thoughts a few pages back.

To add to those thoughts, I seriously can't say enough about centered weight and lack of fatigue after a round or two. Yes, a full bladder limits the number of discs to less than 10, but it's a trade off I'm willing to have. I play many rounds where I don't need more than 4-8 discs so it's perfect for that.

For new courses and longer rounds I use my Grip.

1 very important thing to remember, put your bag on the ground disc side down. Stickers and whatnot get stuck in the breathable mesh material that lines the back. Not sure what the life span of the stretch material will be where the discs go, I guess we'll see...and how UP deals with warranty claims regarding that.

How is the back padding on the Rebel working out for keeping your backs cool?

I'd love to have a disc golf backpack with a suspended mesh backing similar to this pic below, but the Rebel looks like the next best thing.

5EgPDMjl.jpg

How is the back padding on the Rebel working out for keeping your backs cool?

I'd love to have a disc golf backpack with a suspended mesh backing similar to this pic below, but the Rebel looks like the next best thing.

5EgPDMjl.jpg

The padding on the Rebel is nice and thick. The channels between areas of padding allow plenty of ventilation. Unfortunately, it's constantly over 100 in Houston right now, so no amount of ventilation keeps my back "cool." That being said, the back of my shirt is not soaked through with sweat while wearing the Rebel while my buddy's back is with his Ranger.

So me and my wife both have Shifts now and love them but one thing has really been bugging me. What is the purpose of that little loop on the top of the bag between the straps?

So me and my wife both have Shifts now and love them but one thing has really been bugging me. What is the purpose of that little loop on the top of the bag between the straps?

Quick carry. Don't feel like putting your bag on just to take it right back off again? Boom:)

Quick carry. Don't feel like putting your bag on just to take it right back off again? Boom:)

I think you may be talking about the actual handle. I am talking about the small loop that is located right behind the mini pocket at the top of the bag between the straps

^Whoops.

I feel like it has been answered somewhere in this thread but honestly don't remember - based upon pictures I'm not sure either.

There is also the intermediate loops on each side of the top handle that's convenient for bag tags, hooking a towel (I like that bec you can have quick access to the towel and still can stow it in the main compartment), and whatever you can think of clipping that needs quick access.

I wish I had bought a dedicated DG backpack sooner. But then again I always wanted something that had a smaller capacity (10-16 discs). It's nice that there are some new options from grip and UPD out there.

Side note I was playing with a random 4 some and they ended up buying two together right on hole 5 using their smartphones to get the 20% discount (which comes out to about $125 per bag 2 day shipping included) and was envious that I didn't have a buddy to go in on that when I bought mine (it's about $150 with shipping when by your lonesome).

I think you may be talking about the actual handle. I am talking about the small loop that is located right behind the mini pocket at the top of the bag between the straps

I guess to hang when not in use? Also another place for bag tags. It could be a good place to thread a small clip and chain/lanyard for a mini clip board to put in mini pocket so you don't lose your mini clipboard and scorecard during official/league play.

man I'm jealous of this

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108962

http://www.jerseydevildiscs.com

Hey Devils!

Check out this thread for up to date sales and discounts!

For everyone relaxing by the beach, lake, backyard, or disc golf course on this beautiful Labor Day, enjoy this UPDATED DISCOUNT!

Until September 2nd, redeem code LABOR25 for 25% off ALL DISCS!

or

UPD10 for 10% off our new stock of UPD Bags!

Only 2 days left!

The Jersey Devyl

its like $116 for The Shift, $199 for the Rebel, and $70 for the Focus.

i don't know if its free shipping, I tried going through the checkout process for fun and it looks like its free shipping, if not its basically free shipping with the normal prices then (which saves you compared to ordering a single bag direct from UPD).

its ending on september 2nd though.

great savings either way from that seller... i bought an echo star tee bird and gstar avian with free shipping for about $22 with the 25% off all discs code.

Latest posts