• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

I received a new Rebel last week. The back panel appears to be adjustable. I found this on their FAQ page:

...the back panel support of the Rebel is made from aluminum and can be bent and shaped to a specific person. Put a knee on the back panel directly above the lower back padding and bend the whole back panel slightly toward you. That should round the upper part of the bag to fit your back shape better.

My back panel pops in and out when pressed with my hands. It makes a distinct popping noise. I prefer the back panel to be out (pressed against the curve of my back). But the back panel keeps popping back in when I put the bag on my back. Is this normal? Is there a way to get the back panel to stay in the position you prefer?

Picked up a Shift last week with some leftover ledgestone 'scrip. I've been wanting a more minimalist bag to pair with my Octohaul.

Overall I love the layout of discs, the storage area is far larger than I gave it credit for, easily fits a towel, clipboard, snacks, a lightweight long sleeve pullover, a UV flashlight and hat/gloves. I was originally worried that the shoulder straps wouldn't be comfortable given how thin/firm they are compared to my pound straps, but with the lighter load out they're totally fine. The small pockets on the waist straps are great for keeping keys secure and a snack handy (can grab out a granola bar etc while wearing the pack and watching your buddies figure out how they're gonna throw out of the bush they put themselves into)

The only complaint at all I have so far is that the top quick access pocket is 1 maybe 2 stitches too tight for my phone to fit sideways. I can get it in there if I really force it, but I didn't want to repeatedly do that and risk tearing the bag. and the pocket isn't deep enough to comfortably have my phone sitting portrait mode. So I'm currently resigned to chucking my phone into the main storage area.

Picked up a Shift last week with some leftover ledgestone 'scrip. I've been wanting a more minimalist bag to pair with my Octohaul.

Overall I love the layout of discs, the storage area is far larger than I gave it credit for, easily fits a towel, clipboard, snacks, a lightweight long sleeve pullover, a UV flashlight and hat/gloves. I was originally worried that the shoulder straps wouldn't be comfortable given how thin/firm they are compared to my pound straps, but with the lighter load out they're totally fine. The small pockets on the waist straps are great for keeping keys secure and a snack handy (can grab out a granola bar etc while wearing the pack and watching your buddies figure out how they're gonna throw out of the bush they put themselves into)

The only complaint at all I have so far is that the top quick access pocket is 1 maybe 2 stitches too tight for my phone to fit sideways. I can get it in there if I really force it, but I didn't want to repeatedly do that and risk tearing the bag. and the pocket isn't deep enough to comfortably have my phone sitting portrait mode. So I'm currently resigned to chucking my phone into the main storage area.

There's a little side pocket I slide mine into, but have had the bag tip over on a hill and had the phone pop out. Haven't found much use for the top pocket other than a pencil

Round one in with my Shift. Bought it as a second bag to my Rebel for course where I need fewer discs. So far, the only thing I do like about it is the weight. Main gripe though is, it's tippy as heck. I need to work on organization and maybe watch a video or two, because I am not pleases with my present state of org. Not sure where to put putting putter.

Round one in with my Shift. Bought it as a second bag to my Rebel for course where I need fewer discs. So far, the only thing I do like about it is the weight. Main gripe though is, it's tippy as heck. I need to work on organization and maybe watch a video or two, because I am not pleases with my present state of org. Not sure where to put putting putter.

I have been using a Shift for about 8 months and really like it. I put the putting putters in the top centre slot. Approach and mids in the two centre slots below that, for a total of 6 discs in the centre. I put 8-10 discs in the side pockets for 14-16 discs total. I don't find it tips much at all.

I stuff a couple of towels, a light rain jacket and a Friction glove in the centre storage area, and a hockey puck down the bottom of the drink bottle carrier. Drink on top of that.

Perhaps you have too much weight up top?

My only gripe is with the company, who stopped shipping to Australia. I'm so ready to order a Rebel after I saw how good the Shift was, but they changed their shipping policy in the two weeks it took to get the Shift to me :(

Last edited:

I carry my phone in my pants pocket for quick access, but I agree, the top pocket is a little too tight for a phone.

Have you tried the waist belt pockets or the front flap pocket?
I fiddled with it in different places, but ended up deciding not to carry it in the bag.

There's a little side pocket I slide mine into, but have had the bag tip over on a hill and had the phone pop out. Haven't found much use for the top pocket other than a pencil

I agree, that top pocket is weird to try to use.

I ended up using that for my Mini after I decided on the phone in a pants pocket.

I think Goober is right on this, mine was tippy until I loaded those lower outer pockets.

After a bunch of fiddling, I ended up with drivers in the center 3 pockets, mids down the left, putt & approach down the right.

I stuff a couple of towels, a light rain jacket and a Friction glove in the centre storage area, and a hockey puck down the bottom of the drink bottle carrier. Drink on top of that.
:(

I didn't think of a hockey puck, that's a great choice! I've been using a baseball in the main compartment, but a hockey puck in the drink holder would be better.

No discs in the main open area?

What's the purpose of stuffing something in the drink holder?

I don't put discs in the main area, other than the 3rd center pocket is almost down in there. I have thought about it, but the pockets offer enough disc storage for my game.

4 or so discs on each side, another 5 or 6 in the center is more than enough space. I often carry 12 or 13 discs, but I can carry as many as 17 easily without using the main pocket. If I need more discs than that, I didn't bring my A game.

I use the center area for gloves, light jacket, small 1st aid kit, sunscreen, bug junk, bandana, snacks. I clip a towel on the d ring, but then shove the end of my towel down the main pocket so it does not drag.

Putting the hockey puck under the drink is just an easy place to store it where you can get it quickly when you need to get a disc out of the tree.

Everybody's going to set it up different for their own game, but that's why I like it so well. It is very flexible without giving me the discs dumped in a pile feeling that I get with some bags.

For me, I think that is key, I like my discs to be in their specific spot, I always return them to their exact spot. So the various slots really helps me keep things in their place and see quickly if I left one out on the course.

Of course, we are all different so you may like it better set up totally different.

Last edited:
I don't put discs in the main area, other than the 3rd center pocket is almost down in there. I have thought about it, but the pockets offer enough disc storage for my game.

4 or so discs on each side, another 5 or 6 in the center is more than enough space. I often carry 12 or 13 discs, but I can carry as many as 17 easily without using the main pocket. If I need more discs than that, I didn't bring my A game.

There's a lot of wisdom here. The Shift didn't work for me because I tend to carry 18-19 discs, and I didn't like the fit of that many in the bag. I felt like the side pockets really maxed out with 2 each (total 8). You can fit a third one in, but it becomes too tight to easily pull a disc one-handed.

It was more of an impulse buy for me, because I have an earlier-generation Rebel. Upper Park was great to deal with - both during the order and the return. The materials and construction were top grade.

There's a lot of wisdom here. The Shift didn't work for me because I tend to carry 18-19 discs, and I didn't like the fit of that many in the bag. I felt like the side pockets really maxed out with 2 each (total 8). You can fit a third one in, but it becomes too tight to easily pull a disc one-handed.

It was more of an impulse buy for me, because I have an earlier-generation Rebel. Upper Park was great to deal with - both during the order and the return. The materials and construction were top grade.

Agreed, if you carry 18 or more regularly there are better options to choose from.

If I have drivers on the side, I don't mind a 3rd one in the top pocket, so you can get 5 on a side but after that, it's just too tight to be useful.

I like 4 per side, then 5 or 6 center, that is a good balance for me.

Agreed, if you carry 18 or more regularly there are better options to choose from.

If I have drivers on the side, I don't mind a 3rd one in the top pocket, so you can get 5 on a side but after that, it's just too tight to be useful.

I like 4 per side, then 5 or 6 center, that is a good balance for me.

I've always worried about cramming 3 discs in the side pockets, thinking it would stretch them out to were I'd always have to keep 3 there. Have you found you can go back and forth between 3 and 2 no problem?

I've always worried about cramming 3 discs in the side pockets, thinking it would stretch them out to were I'd always have to keep 3 there. Have you found you can go back and forth between 3 and 2 no problem?

I do it all the time - bounce between 14 and 16 discs in the Shift :)

When I do carry 16, the extra discs seem to work best in the upper side pockets. The narrower the discs the better - so usually speed 11 stuff and up.

The Shift doesn't seem to suffer at all.

I've tried 18 discs by storing three discs in EACH of the side pockets, but that's too much for me. Pretty hard to get the discs in and out.

Great bag though - easy to access everything and you can instantly tell when you're missing a disc.

I do it all the time - bounce between 14 and 16 discs in the Shift :)

When I do carry 16, the extra discs seem to work best in the upper side pockets. The narrower the discs the better - so usually speed 11 stuff and up.

The Shift doesn't seem to suffer at all.

I've tried 18 discs by storing three discs in EACH of the side pockets, but that's too much for me. Pretty hard to get the discs in and out.

Great bag though - easy to access everything and you can instantly tell when you're missing a disc.

Spot on answer here, I have seen no loss of flexibility in the pockets after carry a 3rd disc.

And like you, goober, I do not like a 3rd disc in the bottom pocket, too tight.

The hockey puck is brilliant! Holds smaller drinks a little higher and gives you something to knock discs out of trees.
Currently I've settled on having my phone in the front flap pocket, keeps it from being banged around in the main storage area and easily accessible should I need it, I mostly use UDisc on my watch during rounds so I don't need to have the phone on me generally.

The flopping is going to make me sell this and wait for that Fossa thing.

I had an original Fossa Skinny and it was super-tippy. It appears to me that the Skinny 2 rectifies this, as long as you have enough discs in the bottom to compensate.

Latest posts