• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Shift Bag Mod

paccmh

The Shift is an amazing bag! - but I did not need the "Waist stash pockets" so had my wife remove them. Very happy with the Result. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5155.jpg
    IMG_5155.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_5156.jpg
    IMG_5156.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 147
Awesome. Those waist pockets are the one thing that keeps my from buying a shift. The fact that they attached the should straps to them instead of the bag itself makes no sense.

Good job on the modification; your wife did well.

I've been using a Shift for the last month and find that I like the waist pockets. Truck keys get clipped in and go in one side; bag tag, mini and chamois cloth go in the other side. I've also found - contrary to some reviews I've seen - that attaching the shoulder straps to the wings of the side pockets makes sense in that when grabbing the strap to shoulder the bag, it pulls the pocket wing out and away preventing it from folding in against my back. I can't see that it would work the same if the straps were attached to the bag.

At any rate, if you decide to do away with the side pockets and attach the straps to the bag itself, the issue becomes moot, no? Perfect solution.

I agree with you that the Shift is a great bag...very light, comfortable, holds just enough discs for me to play any course, doesn't hold so many that I'm tempted to bring along my entire collection.

I've heard of a couple folks where those waist straps were the main drawback for the Shift. It's nice to see someone finally pull the trigger and cut them off!

Personally, they fit my waist okay and I do like the waist straps fastened on some of the crazier sloped/rugged courses where I play. But if they're not helping, I think it's silly to complain about the straps when they're so easy to cut off.

For the price and quality, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any backpack better than the Shift if you don't mind the limitation on number of discs you can carry. It was the first backpack bag I ever bought, and it will be the next, assuming it ever wears out enough to justify needing a new one!

Awesome. Those waist pockets are the one thing that keeps my from buying a shift. The fact that they attached the should straps to them instead of the bag itself makes no sense.

Everybody is different, I guess. I use those pockets more than any of the interior non-disc pockets. Their convenient location at the base of the straps is one of the big draws for me and their location makes perfect sense.