• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC results-exactly what people were worried about?

Let's thank Innova for doing 12 years of the USDGC. It is not something they had to do.

they wouldn't keep doing it if they weren't making a decent amount of money. so should we thank them for being competent at running a business?

I think it is such a disgrace what they have done to this event moving it to every other year. This is the DEFINING event of the sport.

Not anymore ^^ Now it's the ridiculed event of the sport :)

they wouldn't keep doing it if they weren't making a decent amount of money. so should we thank them for being competent at running a business?

Kinda yes. If they were not competent with what they do, I probably wouldnt have so many nice discs to throw around :D

And with Innova's sweat and money, they can run their tournament the way they think best. It's their creation. Including the name.

While true, this is no argument against voicing ones opinion.

If they were making money at the previous incarnation, I assure everyone that they wouldn't have changed the format this year.

I don't think you can make that assumption. By most accounts I've read they lost money on the tournament.

As title sponsor, they almost certainly lose money on the event itself. However, they in theory are profiting from the exposure they get from the event.

Unfortunately, the costs of sponsorship seem to have caught up so that they cannot reasonably afford to continue putting on this event every year. Rather than cancelling it entirely on the off years, they changed to this handicapped format.

can someone link to me to a discussion of the rules changes or whatever? cuz i guess i missed it and i have no idea what people are complaining about

Read any of numerous threads in the tourney section.

And it was trophy only? Why would pros sign up for that?

My understanding is that the odd years will be the handicapped format while the even years will be the traditional format with the big pro payouts.

So does that mean that the USDGC title will only mean something in the Pro DG world every other year? If you are an odd year winner your like a second rate citizen? :confused:

My understanding is that the odd years will be the handicapped format while the even years will be the traditional format with the big pro payouts.

While at the event this year, I heard organizers saying this may be the way they'll do it from now on... :sick:
DSCJNKY

If you listened to Jonathan Poole's interview, it is pretty clear that Innova feels the need to change the culture of tournament disc golf.

On one hand they feel like with how high they have set the bar (and have continually raised it) with the USDGC, they have put a lot of pressure on the entire worldwide tournament scene to do likewise. And they have given false hope to aspiring Pro's that there is hope to being able to make a living off touring in the near term.

They have also been instrumental in creating/fostering the weird divide in DG of a semi pro culture - one that gets paid in cash and another that gets paid in plastic coins. A culture that does not hold enduring fun/joy for anyone. Nor is it an ideal model for the disc golf business. Nor is what they have been doing growing the grass roots audience needed to get the eyeballs which outside sponsors need in order to involve their money in the sport (at least not to the level they had hoped a decade+ ago).

On the other hand, they want to grow the tournament scene in an area that is not mainstream in DG - handicapped events. This allows real competition to take place in an environment that does away with the cash/plastic divide (or at least has the potential to do so) and is a sustainable fun environment to play in (once the bugs are worked out).

I commend Innova for taking a leadership role in working to change the culture of competitive DG. They took a big risk with their most visible involvement in tournament play. Some scenarios played out in a bad way for them, but I think these will only help accelerate the tweaks that need to be made to make handicap play more mainstream in our sport.

While at the event this year, I heard organizers saying this may be the way they'll do it from now on... :sick:
DSCJNKY

That's what I'd expect.

Dave242: real competition

954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a radical notion.

With your sweat and your money, run your tournament however you think best.

With my sweat and my money, I'll run my tournament the way I think best.

And with Innova's sweat and money, they can run their tournament the way they think best. It's their creation. Including the name.

And if you don't like the way they do it----don't play in it.

I am really starting to like this way of looking at tourneys and event fees. I'm paying my money to play in an event put on by the hard work and dedication of a few individuals -therefore I should expect NOTHING more than some nicely organized rounds of competition golf.

I haven't followed the USDGC in years because I don't care for the gimmick course, but I know the payout is huge. Isn't it like $15000? I tell you what - that money is NOT coming all from entry fees. With Innova forking out lotsa money, they should be able to do what they want.

Conversely, sandbagging as an effort to get into the USDGC and win, WILL be an ongoing effort by many people now. It's probably best to nip this in the bud now.

True. It was meant as a cautionary point to help one avoid looking foolish while posting one's opinion.

So the opinion that the handicap system didn't really work and allowed a player with only 6 rated rounds in the past two years to win is foolish?

I think if the handicap system is to continue, it should be mandatory for a player to have a higher number of rated rounds, say at least 20 in the last two years. I don't think requiring someone to play 5-8 tourneys in order to be eligible for what was once the most prestigious event in disc golf is asking too much.

I agree that the TD of an event is free to run it however he/she likes, but I think their goal is also to host an event that is both fun and fair. I have been a co-TD at many monthlies run by the BCDC and at the Forest Hills Open, which is at a temp course we set up, so I have heard my share of complaints and criticism, and if it is honest and helpful we took it into account for the next tourney. I hope Poole will do the same, and at least require more rated rounds to participate if the handicap system continues.

@Dave242 - Why does Innova get to change the culture/tournament scene? What about the other companies that want disc golf to be more competetive and reward pro's for playing in their tournament with the money they NEED to continue being able to tour? (playing devils advocate as I'm an AM that really only plays local tourneys)

Oh well, there's always the PDGA Championship in GA now to rally behind.