• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Utility Approach Disc

I'm curious what different lines you use the wizard and ion for. I feel like I could execute just about any approach shot with either of them. If you're just looking for something easier to throw on those short annys, go with an aviar p&a, magic, magnet or anode, but keep in mind that those won't be quite as predictable on hyzer lines (though they'll hold them just fine with clean form).

I'm curious what different lines you use the wizard and ion for. I feel like I could execute just about any approach shot with either of them. If you're just looking for something easier to throw on those short annys, go with an aviar p&a, magic, magnet or anode, but keep in mind that those won't be quite as predictable on hyzer lines (though they'll hold them just fine with clean form).

Heya Mashnut,

I mainly use the Ion for driving off the tee and for short hyzer approaches. The Wizard i have is pretty beat in and i use it for Anny aproaches and anywhere i feel the Ion has a chance to roll.

Ideally I'd go with a Pure or Anode. I'm not 100% sure why an Ion wouldn't work for this. You already have one, I would suggest trying it out for annys and hyzers. I think you will find that it will work really well.

I'll second Mike C's recommendation of learning to flick putters. Flicking an Ion has added a whole new dimension to my approach game. I'll also throw an outside the box recommendation of a lid like a Polecat or Rattler.

Opto Pure. People in the know call it a mini Buzzz. It works various lines well, and can be flicked if you have decent form.

One of the reasons i started this thread is that i lost my Ion today.

It was my main approach disc for almost everything.

I don't buy plastic very often and was wanting to see if there was a better replacement for the Ion in this slot.

Thanks,
Chris540

Heya Mashnut,

I mainly use the Ion for driving off the tee and for short hyzer approaches. The Wizard i have is pretty beat in and i use it for Anny aproaches and anywhere i feel the Ion has a chance to roll.

In that case, get a new wizard. I love the combo of new wizards and beat ones. Fresh out of the box it'll be great for those hyzer lines, and they throw great off the tee in any stage of wear for different shots. Eventually your new one will get beat as well, you can start cycling them so you always have backups if you should lose one.

The unsung disc for this duty is the DX Classic Roc...nothing quite like the wings and rings Roc!! It's a mid, approach, putter with a neutral flight. I'd use it except my finely tuned Super Roc handles the same function. Out of the box it's the DX Classic Roc; otherwise, tune your own Super Roc!!

At that range I think DX Avair is the way to go. If it is a lower ceiling, then step up a bit in speed to a buzzz or roc.

My security blanket from about 175 ft in is an Innova Champion Spider. It's predictable and stable, but it will hold an anny line with enough snap. It's also my putter in the wind.

My short range utility disc is an ESP Nebula ( 2008 Ace Race Disc ). It handles sidearm, backhand, overhand, scooby shots, and occasionally a roller quite well. Only other disc I use beside the Nebula on hilly wooded courses is an R-Pro Cro.

Pro D challenger night and day! Everything within 250'. I have 3 in my bag...beat d, stable d, and overstable Flx. Great combo. Couldn't play without it.

For this role, I love using my ibex from a stationary release. I love the amount of control and lack of skip that Vibram's discs provide. I feel like it will hit any line I want and glide the whole way at low speeds. The col thing about the ibex for this role: it may be powered up to get nice solid distance as well.

Assuming the ion wasn't your regular putter, I'll add a huge vote for anode. Very easy to work lines with it. I ended up not liking it as much for regular putter duties, but it's great off the tee and for approaches. I'd suggest a medium anode for you.

My security blanket from about 175 ft in is an Innova Champion Spider. It's predictable and stable, but it will hold an anny line with enough snap. It's also my putter in the wind.

I found a Champ Spider (don't worry, there was no name on it) and started using it. I'm definitely liking it.