• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

VA Open (The Grange) is FULL

black udder

* Ace Member *
wow. Can't believe it. Tournament isn't until May and already it's full. That's at $62 for ams and $103 for pros a pop.

All the discussion we had about competing and such and this thing is full 4 months before it starts! It's a qualifier for the USDGC & Marshall Street, but how many of the field are playing those? Very interesting reflection on exactly the kind of folks that make up the DG community, vs other sports.

Word about quality events tends to get out over time.

This is not only a great disc golf tournament it is a great experience. There is so much fun to be had even when you're not throwing discs. How nice is it to soak in the pool or hot tub between rounds. Have a hot breakfast, lunch and dinner made to order within putting distance of both courses. A free video arcade available to play 24 hours a day.

Last year I shot lousy but had a great time. I'm a foodaholic and I enjoyed quesadillas, steaks, chicken barbecue, lasagna, italian sausage an omelet and pancakes, and these only represent a small percentage of the food offerings from the on course cafe.

Take two great courses add live entertainment , food, a pool, hot tub, arcade, night tiki golf and then make it a qualifier for both the MSDGC and USDGC and what you get is a full field almost instantly after registration opens.

wow. I've played out there once and enjoyed the course, but had no idea what the tournament was like. I know a lot of folks that gather regularly on friday nights for glow golf, but I hear that's not really "serious" golf (if you get the drift).

I wonder how many people actually do use it as a qualifier for MS/USDGC vs just a great party/golf weekend...

In comparison, the Battlefield Open, which is another tourney in June or so, doesn't sell out. The golf courses are easier to get to, public courses you can play anytime, aren't as challenging for less experienced players but there is no food or party - just DG. Entry fees aren't as steep either.

not griping, just interesting.

black udder said:
I wonder how many people actually do use it as a qualifier for MS/USDGC vs just a great party/golf weekend...

The vast majority of the players are there to really enjoy their memorial weekend with a bunch of other disc golfers camping and partying on private property owned by one of the coolest disc golfing musicians on the planet, Mike Trapasso.

The USDGC and MSDGC spots are only awarded to the top spots. I think the top 5 scores from all the divisions combined. So only the elite (1000+) rated golfers have a realistic shot at these. However being that there are very few qualifiers for these events, if you are a 990+ golfer trying to earn your way to Rock Hill or Marshall St this gives you incentive to drive a few more hours. So because of the qualifiers you're more likely to get players from 500-800 miles away.

Latest posts