• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Ascent vs Star Eagle

Vibram Ascent vs Star Eagle

• Vibram Ascent

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Star Eagle

Votes: 33 73.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do others agree with this? And how about the difference between throwing the firm and the medium? Do they beat in different like DX vs champ, or do they pretty much beat in the same?

i too think they fly like a teebird. i will never take my teebirds out of my bag but at times i like to toss around the ascent just to see what i can get it to do.

Well, I hope I can provide you with an informative answer.

First, I'm sure you know that the current Star Eagles are all the Eagle-X mold.

I throw a firm Ascent. The Ascent took my 11X Eagle X out of my bag.

Both tend to fade pretty hard, and neither has a ton of glide.

I use this disc for forehand fairway flick duty. The Ascent is actually overstable compared to the
11X-X, which makes it better for high torque standstill shots that wont flip and roll.

I do still keep an 11X-L in the bag, but this is a much straighter flying disc, with alot of glide, not anything like the Ascent, or the Eagle X.

The Star Eagle will beat in much faster than the Ascent, and fly super straight after a while, the Ascent will take alot longer before it loses its turn and picks up some glide.

So, at least initially, you wont see alot of difference between the two. If you want the reliable predictable fade for a long time, the Ascent would be the better choice. If you want something that will beat in to fly straight, then get a little flippy, grab the Star Eagle.

This is going about the way I expected. My one knock on the Ascent is its lack of glide. But then, if it had more glide, it would likely be more understable. Those two are not mutually tied together by law, but they tend to go together. All in all I love the disk, but am looking forward to checking out the Ibex, hoping it will have a bit more glide. The material is far superior to anything else on the market IMHO, so it's just a matter of time for Vibram to fill in the holes sufficiently to be able to throw a Vibram only bag (at least, I will keep telling myself that).

I'm very much looking forward to them releasing more stuff and hopefully having a more vibram filled bag.

Well, I hope I can provide you with an informative answer.

First, I'm sure you know that the current Star Eagles are all the Eagle-X mold.

I throw a firm Ascent. The Ascent took my 11X Eagle X out of my bag.

Both tend to fade pretty hard, and neither has a ton of glide.

I use this disc for forehand fairway flick duty. The Ascent is actually overstable compared to the
11X-X, which makes it better for high torque standstill shots that wont flip and roll.

I do still keep an 11X-L in the bag, but this is a much straighter flying disc, with alot of glide, not anything like the Ascent, or the Eagle X.

The Star Eagle will beat in much faster than the Ascent, and fly super straight after a while, the Ascent will take alot longer before it loses its turn and picks up some glide.

So, at least initially, you wont see alot of difference between the two. If you want the reliable predictable fade for a long time, the Ascent would be the better choice. If you want something that will beat in to fly straight, then get a little flippy, grab the Star Eagle.

Thanks!

whats better a swift kick in the nuts or a night with Marissa Miller? Come on dumbest poll question ever, the eagle x is the greastest disc ever made.

No experience with the Ascent, and Eagles are in the bag, so Eagle.

I haven't bothered getting one because I don't like the grip on the VP or Ridge I have. I never tried washing them and they do feel what i'd describe as "greasy."

whats better a swift kick in the nuts or a night with Marissa Miller? Come on dumbest poll question ever, the eagle x is the greastest disc ever made.

I vote for the swift kick in the nuts!

And Vibram just took a serious hit IMO. I left my disc bag in the car for a few hours on a hot day and they warped pretty good. None of my other discs were phased at all. If I can't leave a disc in my car when it's 85 in Texas, I might be screwed. The Star Eagle is my next driver purchase.

I vote for the swift kick in the nuts!

And Vibram just took a serious hit IMO. I left my disc bag in the car for a few hours on a hot day and they warped pretty good. None of my other discs were phased at all. If I can't leave a disc in my car when it's 85 in Texas, I might be screwed. The Star Eagle is my next driver purchase.

Their rubber is resilient. In the Vibram thread they talk about getting the disc to go back to normal. Its not forever warped, thats the beauty of Vibram :thmbup:

I carry both, not sure why as it's rare I actually throw the Eagle. It's my disc I hand to new players to try a second shot with if they shank their first. I throw Vibram when I want to stick a shot.

I keep an Ascent in my bag, but I get the impression mine is a bit of a strange bird. I would definitely not call it overstable as so many others do. Mine doesn't turn much for me, but it doesn't seem to have much LSS either, so once it turns it stays right. At this point I'd honestly compare my own Ascent more to a Stalker than a Teebird, though for whatever reason I have better luck controlling the Stalker.

Their rubber is resilient. In the Vibram thread they talk about getting the disc to go back to normal. Its not forever warped, thats the beauty of Vibram :thmbup:

I hope you're right. I will scour the Vibram thread for that info. The funny thing is, I threw my best round yet with my warped Ascent and warped Ridge. I couldn't get them to do anything I wanted outside of the circle, but every putt was grabbing chains, lol. I might have found my new favorite putter.

I keep an Ascent in my bag, but I get the impression mine is a bit of a strange bird. I would definitely not call it overstable as so many others do. Mine doesn't turn much for me, but it doesn't seem to have much LSS either, so once it turns it stays right. At this point I'd honestly compare my own Ascent more to a Stalker than a Teebird, though for whatever reason I have better luck controlling the Stalker.

What weight and rubber is it (firm or regular)?

Latest posts