• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

I have not lurked here in a couple weeks but I am disappointed I got got on that bag gag. I was looking forward to a bag.

Name aside, my guess is that this move is a response to those who were disappointed that the OLace wasn't was beefy as the tester. Given that they'd already done the legwork, that mold was easy to relese, so, voila.

I'm just disappointed that, with such a minimal lineup and such a slow pace of releases over the past couple years, Vibram would choose to release such a niche disc that overlaps so much with its existing lineup. Frankly, I'm a bit baffled why Vibram releases molds so slowly ("they're perfectionists" doesn't really cut it if you ask me), and that, more than anything, has turned me off of their brand. They just seemed more concerned with other things than building a solid offering of discs.

I love the Lace, and I'm all in on their putters, but its hard to see me bagging another Vibram disc anytime soon. But maybe they'll surprise me.

i agree i really think they a 3 discs away from a complete line up and the four 20 doesn't help them get there. i see them needing a over stable fast mid slow fairway type disc an understable fast mid slow fairway and a neutral control drive.

Also if that pic of a bag was a real post the bag looks cool.

I am a little surprised by the number of people wishing for a more overstable fairway. The Ascent seems plenty beefy to me. That said, a set of speed 9-10 drivers including something PDish overstable would be welcome, and more useful to me than the OLace, let alone the Four20.

Sheesh so much complaining over the Four20 announcement. People, Vibram was going to release this disc anyway and already had the mold for it so it is only logical it would be the next release. We all just have to be patient for the MOFWY and MObex. I am sure they are probably already working on molds for at least one of these if not both. As far as Four20 the name goes...shut up and throw.

Sheesh so much complaining over the Four20 announcement. People, Vibram was going to release this disc anyway and already had the mold for it so it is only logical it would be the next release. We all just have to be patient for the MOFWY and MObex. I am sure they are probably already working on molds for at least one of these if not both. As far as Four20 the name goes...shut up and throw.

I don't have issue with the name. As far as "filling a slot," the Four20 definitely does, because it gives forehand throwers a nice compliment to the Ascent and o-Lace, which are fine forehand discs. The Four20 is a shallower Lace, which has been LONG sought after. Lots of people who throw the Lace, who are used to beefy overstable distance drivers, don't care for it, because it's not very beefy. This release, to the contrary, is for them, in particular. Good release without a doubt!

Glad to see a company that says they are looking out for the future of the sport has no real care for the future of the sport but only for money in their pockets. Lots of 1 disc huckers will buy the disc on the name alone and not care how it flys. They really need to change the name of the four20 to something that doesn't make all disc golfers look like drug users.

is there a pattern to the stability of the rubber. I mean is M more stable then F which is less stable the S or anything like this?

Glad to see a company that says they are looking out for the future of the sport has no real care for the future of the sport but only for money in their pockets. Lots of 1 disc huckers will buy the disc on the name alone and not care how it flys. They really need to change the name of the four20 to something that doesn't make all disc golfers look like drug users.

Word. Couldnt agree more.

is there a pattern to the stability of the rubber. I mean is M more stable then F which is less stable the S or anything like this?

No real pattern to initial stability (although I have heard that firms often start on the overstable side for the respective mold). However, firms beat in the fastest, mediums beat in slower, and soft beats in the slowest. So soft will hold its stability the longest and medium holds it much better than firm.

I feel like the Vibram thread got invaded by Vibram haters all of the sudden. While the particular naming of their next release is not what I personally would have chosen, I still believe that Vibram is working hard to produce the best products and support the sport in the best way they see how. Any company that does this deserves respect. /and each company deserves the chance to do it as they see best. For Vibram that means extensive testing and retooling of potential molds and not simply releasing something that is slightly different as often as they can.

As for what disc they should have released instead, it does not really matter because they are working to fill out their lineup as they see it. I see almost no need to fill any other gaps between say their apparent fairway drivers and their distance drivers. The fact that other companies do this seems silly to me. The difference between the speeds is minimal at best and there is not a distance between a max distance drive and a 1 foot putt that the Vibram does not have covered. I am not really sure what the product development team at Vibram will do after they fill out the line up, make a bag and begin producing targets as well (even if Mr. Dodge has said this won't happen, just you wait and see).

Last edited:
I can, however, say this has steered me away from Vibram. I don't have any currently in the bag, but I really enjoyed the Birdie Bash I put on in 2013. Vibram is huge in Colorado, and honestly, my discussions with many of the throwers (not TalbotTrojan!) who choose Vibram hasn't been for a beefy distance driver.

I am looking forward to this disc mostly because I love throwing long thumbers and tommies with my Nuke OS and would much rather be throwing a Vibram disc. I still need to replace my Preadator and Gator with a Vibram disc as well. So you know there is more that I am looking forward to.

I don't know that there's a huge difference. The mediums soften up some in the extreme heat of the summer. The firms soften a bit, not as noticeable as mediums. The softs are in a league of their own. Not at all like anything out there right now...

What I see with a lot of my friends on the course is that everyone who picks up a Vibram (and doesn't have a bag already filled in every slot with plastic) likes them. Now and then I hear that throwing Vibram has improved their score.

For me, I threw predominantly RHFH until I picked up a Vibram Lace and Ridge. I started throwing BH, and the grip and durability is what helped me to start caring more about the game and to grow, as a player. For me, it was much easier to throw a Lace BH than a Wraith or a TeeDevil, and if not for Vibram, I'd still be throwing FH predominately.

I am looking forward to this disc mostly because I love throwing long thumbers and tommies with my Nuke OS and would much rather be throwing a Vibram disc. I still need to replace my Preadator and Gator with a Vibram disc as well. So you know there is more that I am looking forward to.

Well I didnt say you were ONLY looking for a beefy distance driver LOL

I feel like the Vibram thread got invaded by Vibram haters all of the sudden. While the particular naming of their next release is not what I personally would have chosen, I still believe that Vibram is working hard to produce the best products and support the sport in the best way they see how. Any company that does this deserves respect. /and each company deserves the chance to do it as they see best. For Vibram that means extensive testing and retooling of potential molds and not simply releasing something that is slightly different as often as they can..

Was always on the fence about Vibram since Steve Dodges comments last year about how fitting it was the the 420th project that Vibram has done was a disc golf project. The sport already has a bad rap; and there is a HUGE difference between being anti-drugs, and not wanting our sport to be synonymous with drugs.

The problem is, most people don't care about growing the sport, so much as they care about keeping the sport to themselves.

Im not anti drug really. I could care less what people do in their personal time. But I don't partake in those activities. So when one of the main dg companies is embracing it, it makes everyone else attached to the sport look like they support it.

I want the sport to grow, which is why I have such an issue with the name

No real pattern to initial stability (although I have heard that firms often start on the overstable side for the respective mold). However, firms beat in the fastest, mediums beat in slower, and soft beats in the slowest. So soft will hold its stability the longest and medium holds it much better than firm.

the reason i asked is because i signed up to td a birdie bash so i ordered the sample pack. My experience with vibram before the sample pack was with a couple vps and a trak (so limited). in the pack i got a 171 unlace f, lace 172 m, and 167 olace f. The unlace is what i would expect flippy long turn over disc. the lace is beefy and flies like the olace and what i expected the olace to fly like. So i thought may m was a beefier rubber in flight but with have such a limited sample pool i thought i would ask.

So, you want to have a discussion about this issue...

This thread is therefore destined for the landfill. Way to go, Mr Dodge.

This is not about acceptance of anything, the name is pure marketing. You are generating buzz for your brand, no doubt. But is it really true that all press is good press? What do the rest of the higher ups at Vibram think? What about the corporations that buy your products? Ie it had been shown that Vibram soles are on military boots. Is there no downstream risk of harming your brand as a whole from something like this???

So, you want to have a discussion about this issue...

This thread is therefore destined for the landfill. Way to go, Mr Dodge.

This is not about acceptance of anything, the name is pure marketing. You are generating buzz for your brand, no doubt. But is it really true that all press is good press? What do the rest of the higher ups at Vibram think? What about the corporations that buy your products? Ie it had been shown that Vibram soles are on military boots. Is there no downstream risk of harming your brand as a whole from something like this???

I understand that people are upset about the name and I understand why. But I do not think it is THAT large of an issue.

I address some of the issues with the name Four20 in our weekly blog.
To check out our weekly blog: http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/blog.html
Thank you for providing clearly stated reasons for naming the disc Four20. It's your choice to politicize the Vibram brand. Unfortunately you've alienated me as customer. :( Today I'm taking my Ascents, Traks, Ibexes (favorite mid), and Summit out of my bag. I'll also be looking for a new pair of shoes with a different sole.

I used to seek out the Vibram logo, because it stood for quality. Now it stands for something else.

Latest posts