• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

What are the two best discs of theirs for a relatively new player to throw and get a feel of their discs? Also what material I should get them in if they're available.

I'm pretty new myself, but I strongly recommend an Ibex, which is a very easy-to-throw mid. I carry two: a 165g and a 177g, both in medium. I frequently play one-disc rounds at my local short course and the Ibex is usually what I use. For putters, it really comes down to what feels good in your hand. For putting, I like a beadless, neutral putter so I prefer the Summit (it has a tiny bead but it's not really noticeable), but all of their putters make great driving putters; I use the VP on a lot of drives and forehand upshots.

I prefer the medium X-link, which feels good in the cold, wet Michigan weather. The soft feels amazing, but it messes with my release point a little bit (supposedly it is good for perfecting your form). Kind of like throwing a big piece of bologna. And I find the firm too slick to be comfortable.

I've been looking into Vibram some more because their discs seem interesting. I've heard they also have really good putters and pretty good mids, but most of their drivers are bad. Is that true? Should I participate in my local birdie bash happening in May and if I do. What are the two best discs of theirs for a relatively new player to throw and get a feel of their discs? Also what material I should get them in if they're available.
I'd recommend an Ibex to just about anyone and then a putter. The Summit is an amazing understable putter but if you like a Wizard or something you might throw off the tee then I'd go with a Ridge.

It's certainly tempting to get a max speed driver but do yourself a favor and resist that. If you get some Vibram putters and mids, they will change your game in such good ways. I can't say enough great things about Vibram.

I'd recommend an Ibex to just about anyone and then a putter. The Summit is an amazing understable putter but if you like a Wizard or something you might throw off the tee then I'd go with a Ridge.

It's certainly tempting to get a max speed driver but do yourself a favor and resist that. If you get some Vibram putters and mids, they will change your game in such good ways. I can't say enough great things about Vibram.
I'll look into their putters for sure, I have my Magnet which I'm not completely sure I like and have been looking at different putters lately trying to decide on one.

can someone steer me in the direction of what to look for in an Ibex? like speed rating (i know the new ones have a 48) i have a good bit of snap and arm speed (just terrible form for distance driving). I made the mistake of thinking i wouldnt need a midrange anymore. the ibex seems a lot like the Claymore i used to toss.

also is the V.P. comparable to a zone, but less fade?

The Ibex isn't far off from a Claymore. If you have some snap you can male the Ibex go straight or turn over. It is very versatile - just get one ;)

I think the VP is moat like a Pig (of that helps). The Zone should a bit faster than the VP. I think their overstability is similar. Of you want to throw a putter that isn't going to turn over them thr VP is excellent.

The Ibex isn't far off from a Claymore. If you have some snap you can male the Ibex go straight or turn over. It is very versatile - just get one ;)

Need to sell some my other plastic to afford this rubber stuff again. :eek: (kicking myself for ever getting rid of my trak and others)

i was reading somewhere that the ibex has 2 different speed ratings, and now i cant find where i found it. just tapping the general knowledge base if what i read was true. and that the ones with the larger numbers (or have little 1/2's) are all different. i just want the most stable one i can find (and visually appealing couldnt hurt..LOL). Med or firm density doesn't bother me, i like them both.

just want to make sure i find and get the right one, that's all.

... i just want the most stable one i can find (and visually appealing couldnt hurt..LOL)

I bag two of them, both in medium: a 165g and a 177g. The heavier one is a good deal more stable; it will come back to flat on a big swooping anhyzer if I give it some air. The lighter one will hold it all the way to the ground. I would say they have both sustained about the same amount of wear, although it's hard to tell since the medium X-link seems pretty indestructible. These two, along with my Obex, make an excellent midrange battery.

Need to sell some my other plastic to afford this rubber stuff again. :eek: (kicking myself for ever getting rid of my trak and others)

The Ibex is a bit slower than the Claymore, though they seem to handle much the same. (My son carries a Claymore.)

The Trak has been discontinued. The new fairway drivers fly much better than the old. The Trak was a frisky midrange for me, where the Arch, Valley, and Vamp all fly like fairways for me. (I suspect the Notch would, too, though I've not thrown one.) I expect you'll be pleased throwing the newer fairways.

My driver's and fairway/control situation is good. I am pleased with what I can do with what I have.
My short game on the other hand, is lacking.

I thought I could get by with just using a zone and Omega SuperSoft for all short work/putting. I am wrong. This is one reason why I want to come back to vibram. Trilogy mids are good but not what I need. I need that rip and stick mid that goes straight and doest glide 2 miles past the basket (ok well.. I sent a claymore 140' past the pin on a 200' approach ... I think it was mostly a tailwind. And i hit that sweet spot.). I digress.

Should my mace not sell or get traded out. I will keep it instead of the obex (unless someone wants it :D) and get the ibex, obex and start down the putter road. (Whole 'nother story about my putters).

Plastic for the driving rubber for the finishing. Sorry.. It's just how I have to roll right now.

Ibex is fairly nose-angle sensitive, but the nice thing is that it will hold huge anhyzer as well as hyzer lines. It flies dead straight with predictable fade at the end of its flight (in the 170s weight range, that is). The Ibex is great for approaching the basket, because of the predictable fade aspect.

The VP is a deep dish, big beaded, flat-top style putter. Great for headwind putts and approaches to the basket where a predictable fade is needed to approximate distance (which is the problem that you described earlier with the Claymore, I believe).

Ridge is the next least overstable putter. Smaller profile than the VP, smaller bead as well. The Ridge has a flat-top, like the VP. Glides more, hence better for driving off-the-tee than the VP. Very straight with a small amount of fade.

Sole is the second most understable putter. Sole has a domey top. Sole is beadless, with a slight bevel, which contributes to its glide/understability.

Summit is the most understable putter. Summit has flat-top. Summit has a very small bead, termed a micro-bead by Mr. Dodge. The Summit offers the most glide and turn of the putters.

I have the entire Vibram lineup in my bag (with the new fairways, mind you), but I only carry the Summit and VP on most rounds. The combination of the Summit and VP is a one-two punch, hot-and-cold, or sweet-and-sour for varied approaches. I use the VP as my main putter, because I have fairly large hands and I find the VP to be the most consistent across the range of wind conditions. It's also the most predictable because of its consistency.

well.. i guess i am on the hunt now for an ibex (no pun intended). it really didnt take much to persuade me to go this route ;)

looks like it will be a newer run (hopefully those are stable in the 172-175 range.)

I want to try out some Vibram. I was thinking about a couple glow discs. I was wondering what I should try out. I could use a glow putter for sure and I'd like to grab either an understable fairway driver or something beefy (Viper/ Banshee like). I currently have a fresh Glow Roc and Glow champ Gazelle in the bag for glow rounds. My main putters are Serpents and Polecats.

What suggestions do you have? I was thinking about the Summit or Ridge for the putter and maybe Notch for beefy or a Vamp or Valley for understable fairway.

Last edited:
Neither the Summit nor the Ridge will be like either of your putters. The Ridge would be the closest. I haven't tried the Vamp, but I like the Valley a lot and the Notch is just okay IMO.

I want to try out some Vibram. I was thinking about a couple glow discs. I was wondering what I should try out. I could use a glow putter for sure and I'd like to grab either an understable fairway driver or something beefy (Viper/ Banshee like). I currently have a fresh Glow Roc and Glow champ Gazelle in the bag for glow rounds. My main putters are Serpents and Polecats.

What suggestions do you have? I was thinking about the Summit or Ridge for the putter and maybe Notch for beefy or a Vamp or Valley for understable fairway.

sounds like you hit the nail on the head with what you suggested. the valley is more neutral to under stable (think of it as a slower lace, if you have thrown one).

i dont have any experience with the putters, but i know guys who have had great success with the ridges (at least for hit and stick on hill sides) Sole is another option for a more traditional feeling putter.

with all i would suggest X-Link Med to as a starting point. Firm has a quicker break in time but meds with hold a bit longer the initial flight pattern.

Neither the Summit nor the Ridge will be like either of your putters. The Ridge would be the closest. I haven't tried the Vamp, but I like the Valley a lot and the Notch is just okay IMO.

Just out of curiosity what is different about those putters? Flight or feel or both?

Is the Notch as overstable as a Banshee or Viper?

Just out of curiosity what is different about those putters? Flight or feel or both?

The Notch is Banshee/Viper-like. At last years World's Birdie Bash, Steve Dodge said the Notch was intended to get the Firebird out of your bag, or something to that effect.

The V.P. is the stable Vibram putter & has a bead. The Ridge is less stable and a smaller bead. The Summit is even less and much smaller bead.

Signed up for a birdie bash early next month. Was seriously disappointed they didn't have any ridges available for this event. Went with the Sole, and the Valley. No Arch was available in driver weights I liked either. Hoping that the sole isn't too wonky feeling, and that the valley is nice and versatile like the flight path suggests (looks like an eagle-L flight path)

Signed up for a birdie bash early next month. Was seriously disappointed they didn't have any ridges available for this event. Went with the Sole, and the Valley. No Arch was available in driver weights I liked either. Hoping that the sole isn't too wonky feeling, and that the valley is nice and versatile like the flight path suggests (looks like an eagle-L flight path)
Yeah, agreed on the Ridge availability. I'd been considering going to an event within an hours ride, but gave up on the notion when I saw they had no Ridges left. They don't even have medium Soles left. Meh.

The VP is a deep dish, big beaded, flat-top style putter. Great for headwind putts and approaches to the basket where a predictable fade is needed to approximate distance (which is the problem that you described earlier with the Claymore, I believe).

Ridge is the next least overstable putter. Smaller profile than the VP, smaller bead as well. The Ridge has a flat-top, like the VP. Glides more, hence better for driving off-the-tee than the VP. Very straight with a small amount of fade.

Sole is the second most understable putter. Sole has a domey top. Sole is beadless, with a slight bevel, which contributes to its glide/understability.

Summit is the most understable putter. Summit has flat-top. Summit has a very small bead, termed a micro-bead by Mr. Dodge. The Summit offers the most glide and turn of the putters.

Yeah, the Notch is. Pretty hefty fade to it. Like a 3 for fade, I'd say.

Just ordered my first 2 Vibram discs, a Lace and Ibex. I just felt like trying something different, and spending money that I don't have. They better be amazing or I'll complain here.

Latest posts