• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

I picked up a Ridge and pretty much played an entire round with just that. It's a really nice disc to throw and might be my main putter. I wish I had gotten it in Medium though instead of Firm.

I am slowly getting back into vibram. It starts again with a solace, I have an ibex coming.... Need an obex and some putters and I am hoping my short game will finally be right again. (Hasn't been the same since i changed over to plastic)

I am slowly getting back into vibram. It starts again with a solace, I have an ibex coming.... Need an obex and some putters and I am hoping my short game will finally be right again. (Hasn't been the same since i changed over to plastic)

I used to carry the four putters in my bag at once. This was great for putting practice before rounds. Repetition is the mother of skill! 20' putts over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and you'll have it down eventually. Nothing to it!

I used to carry the four putters in my bag at once. This was great for putting practice before rounds. Repetition is the mother of skill! 20' putts over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and you'll have it down eventually. Nothing to it!

LOL i wish i had 20'ers... i practice from 35+ since that is where my drives or upshots usually leave me. Par is nice, but would rather make birdies.

it will come, i just dont have time to do much right now.

Wondering what to expect as far as break in on my new Vibram discs.

I started out with a 166 Valley, 174 Ridge, 166 Sole, 170 Ibex, and a 170 Obex, all in medium. I liked the Valley enough that I picked up three more in the same weight. I only have time for a certain amount of practice, so I'm thinking it's a better idea to get good at just a few versatile molds. At this point, I'm thinking I could carry nothing more than the Valley, Ridge and Obex, and cover every shot I need to make. I'm leaving off the high speed drivers until I consistently improve my distance and accuracy with the Valley.

Before I "invest" any more money (and the Vibram discs are the only ones I would consider using that term with) in discs, I need to know they are not going to lose lots of stability going forwards like my Innova discs have. What's been your experience with this?

The firmer the blend of xlink the more likely it is to season up faster. They are not any more or less durable vs other premium plastics out IMO. Softer blends just absorb the hard impact well. I think some people microwave their vibrams to reshape a deformed disc.

The firmer the blend of xlink the more likely it is to season up faster. They are not any more or less durable vs other premium plastics out IMO. Softer blends just absorb the hard impact well. I think some people microwave their vibrams to reshape a deformed disc.

That's disappointing to hear. What Vibram discs have you found this to be true with?

And the microwave trick really does work. I received a badly warped disc from an ebay seller. It looked like it had been poorly stored for an extended period of time. It's back to normal now.

Ive seen many seasoned vibrams from people at the course..i know someone here used to throw the hell out of one of the mids that was beat up. Ive thrown obex/ibex as well as lace which started beefy but seasoned into slightly US. Obviously like any other discs the faster molds season up quicker.

They are not any more or less durable vs other premium plastics out IMO.

Interesting...this hasn't been my experience at all. The only one of my Vibram discs that has appreciably "seasoned"--in terms of an alteration in its flight path--has been a firm Ibex, which is slightly more understable now than when I got it. None of my mediums has changed at all, and that's pretty much all I used throughout the winter and early spring. I've also heard about the microwave trick, and I've heard that just flipping a Vibram disc over and filling it with hot water will return it to original shape pretty effectively. None of my Vibrams has any real "wear" as far as nicks, gouges, etc. despite numerous tree hits and the wood chip circles at my local course.

I hate firm with a passion and conversely give high praise for Medium. It takes less than two weeks for a firm to go from the perfect stability to instant roller, even if there is no visible damage. Mediums, however, are more likely to develop puddle tops instead of necessarily showing damage. This does not necessarily make them understable, but it will straighten them out.

Wondering what to expect as far as break in on my new Vibram discs.

I started out with a 166 Valley, 174 Ridge, 166 Sole, 170 Ibex, and a 170 Obex, all in medium. I liked the Valley enough that I picked up three more in the same weight. I only have time for a certain amount of practice, so I'm thinking it's a better idea to get good at just a few versatile molds. At this point, I'm thinking I could carry nothing more than the Valley, Ridge and Obex, and cover every shot I need to make. I'm leaving off the high speed drivers until I consistently improve my distance and accuracy with the Valley.

Before I "invest" any more money (and the Vibram discs are the only ones I would consider using that term with) in discs, I need to know they are not going to lose lots of stability going forwards like my Innova discs have. What's been your experience with this?

As you move up in speed, the discs will break-in more. Your putters may not change noticeably, whereas distance drivers are going to break-in a lot. If you think about it, what is happening is the impact of hitting the ground is altering the shape of the disc such that flight characteristics are altered.

As far as comparing manufacturers, Innova is at the top of the list for beating-in. Vibram is in the conversation, because of the speeds associated with their drivers. Their fairways not as much... mids a little. Putters no.

...At this point, I'm thinking I could carry nothing more than the Valley, Ridge and Obex, and cover every shot I need to make. I'm leaving off the high speed drivers until I consistently improve my distance and accuracy with the Valley....
Nice job setting yourself up for success right from the start. I think one of the worst things a new player can do is buy anything faster than a fairway driver. I know your question is about durability but I just need to praise you for choosing to move up slowly. Don't skip more than 2 "speed" levels. Once you're good with a Valley (~Speed 7) and throwing hard enough to turn it over significantly goto a distance driver around speed 9. Don't be in a rush to get a wide rimmed driver.

Oh how I wish for a speed 10 Vibram disc! 10/5/-1/2 would be a dream.

Nice job setting yourself up for success right from the start. I think one of the worst things a new player can do is buy anything faster than a fairway driver. I know your question is about durability but I just need to praise you for choosing to move up slowly. Don't skip more than 2 "speed" levels. Once you're good with a Valley (~Speed 7) and throwing hard enough to turn it over significantly goto a distance driver around speed 9. Don't be in a rush to get a wide rimmed driver.

Oh how I wish for a speed 10 Vibram disc! 10/5/-1/2 would be a dream.

I've said this as well. A vibram beast would be awesome. And also agree with the sticking to speed 7 till you improve. It has helped my game greatly.

...A vibram beast would be awesome...
Thanks for agreeing with my agreement ;)

A Beast or anything that speed would be great. The #'s I posted above are an Innova SL which I loved until they seemed to be made far more overstable a couple years ago. That was my final Innova disc. I'm about to try a Westside Northman (10/5/-2/2) but I'm so reluctant to throw a plastic driver. Plastic is so 20th century disc golf!

I made sure to argue in favor of a speed 10 driver when the topic was raised on the Disc Collector's group lobbying to re-release an out-of-production Innova overstable putter in Vibram rubber (don't recall the exact mold), which happened about a year ago if I remember correctly.

Vibram should try to fill out their lineup better before adding anything to their putter lineup, which is already pretty complete.

I heard it said once that Mr. Dodge's plan was to have a 16 disc lineup. Something about quality over quantity I believe. :thmbup:

Since the current lineup as at 14 and there is another fairway scheduled to be released, I worry that we won't see much else.

Agreed. I think the ibex and obex are good discs, really a perfect combo, but they need some more options.

Especially since it is not like you can cycle the ibex and Obex easily. One on either side would be great. If I ever have a stack of extra cash around I may try and rebuild an all vibram bag now that their line has fleshed out a bit more. I can't seem to transition smoothly from rubber to plastic in the same round. At least not with mediums. During the snowy months I did miss the grip though and would welcome a bag for those conditions.

Infinite discs has the Onyx in stock. The flight numbers are: 8 6 -3 1. The heaviest weight on Infinite discs was 154 gram, ranging from 125 to 154.

"The Onyx is an easy to throw fairway driver from Vibram. Much like the beloved Diamond from Latitude 64 this disc offers beginners a high glide rating and a minimal fade rating that will allow for new distances to be reached. New players will find the Onyx to fly with straight with perhaps some slight turn, and need not worry about a hard left fade throwing right handed back hand throws. "

https://infinitediscs.com/Vibram-Onyx

Latest posts