• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

If their DG stuff is getting a cancer logo what about their outsoles for footwear? I can only imagine how big of a deal that would be.

Almost everything in CA has that label. Totally reasonable that the soles will get them soon, especially if some ambulance chasing lawyer makes a case for it. Seems like ALL products will be covered eventually just as a CYA move. Never met anyone who paid any concern to those.

That sucks if the are getting rid of the multi colors. one of the best parts of the discs. Could careless about Steve Dodge leaving my dealings with him have been less then pleasant. I was still waiting for a new over and understable mids as well.

That sucks if the are getting rid of the multi colors. one of the best parts of the discs. Could careless about Steve Dodge leaving my dealings with him have been less then pleasant. I was still waiting for a new over and understable mids as well.
I spoke with my Vibram Rep (who is not the lead of the FiveFinger/DG team) after Marshall Street sent that mailer out. I'm not speaking for Vibram but here are a few things he cleared up for me. There will be some press release this Fall which I look forward to sharing. I hope Marshall Street will do the same.

1. Solid Colors:
Once XL-Granite was made to be its own line of discs they started converting to solid color for all non-Granite compounds. Solid discs started at least a year ago and other than the Firm Valleys last Fall/Winter) everything they've been producing has been in solid colors. Sure, they still have backstock of unique color combinations but those will eventually ship to retailers and sell out.

2. Steve Dodge has NOT left Vibram.
Steve IS splitting his time about 50/50 with whatever that pro tour he's running. Perhaps he might leave at a later date but he is currently still with Vibram and I was told neither party is planning to part ways at this time.

3. Vibram Is NOT Going Away:
I can't say anything more than this but they are working on two molds for 2017. I don't think they would be doing that if Steve has left or if they are closing down their disc golf division.

4. Cancer Warning Stickers:
Vibram is going to address the cancer sticker in more detail but it is basically because of the state of California specifically and because they had to change their formulation for their dog discs because if eaten(!) in very large amounts, something in there could cause cancer. I do not know if they changed the dog discs recently or if this was always the case.

More On Solid Colors:
As a huge Vibram fan (Only one disc in my bag isn't a Vibram.) I will say that I like the unique colors but I don't "need" them. They are the best discs on the market even if they were all made to be ugly earth-tone colors - Remember those? If the trade-off is that Granite discs are easy to find/buy and not just a lucky find within the regular X-Link discs then I will gladly take that trade-off. I'm sure it takes less time/cost to keep the colors uniform which should help to fend off future price increases. Vibram is charging retailers more for Granite. If they were still making regular X-Link in unique colors it would be very hard to justify charging more for some (Granite) discs and not for regular X-Link which I'm sure would mean fewer retailers bothering to carry Granite.

I am glad they are not going away, will miss the unique discs. I had a granite disc for a minute but here in the northwest the might as well be camo they are so hard to find if you get off the fairway.

I spoke with my Vibram Rep (who is not the lead of the FiveFinger/DG team) after Marshall Street sent that mailer out. I'm not speaking for Vibram but here are a few things he cleared up for me. There will be some press release this Fall which I look forward to sharing. I hope Marshall Street will do the same.

1. Solid Colors:
Once XL-Granite was made to be its own line of discs they started converting to solid color for all non-Granite compounds. Solid discs started at least a year ago and other than the Firm Valleys last Fall/Winter) everything they've been producing has been in solid colors. Sure, they still have backstock of unique color combinations but those will eventually ship to retailers and sell out.

2. Steve Dodge has NOT left Vibram.
Steve IS splitting his time about 50/50 with whatever that pro tour he's running. Perhaps he might leave at a later date but he is currently still with Vibram and I was told neither party is planning to part ways at this time.

3. Vibram Is NOT Going Away:
I can't say anything more than this but they are working on two molds for 2017. I don't think they would be doing that if Steve has left or if they are closing down their disc golf division.

4. Cancer Warning Stickers:
Vibram is going to address the cancer sticker in more detail but it is basically because of the state of California specifically and because they had to change their formulation for their dog discs because if eaten(!) in very large amounts, something in there could cause cancer. I do not know if they changed the dog discs recently or if this was always the case.

More On Solid Colors:
As a huge Vibram fan (Only one disc in my bag isn't a Vibram.) I will say that I like the unique colors but I don't "need" them. They are the best discs on the market even if they were all made to be ugly earth-tone colors - Remember those? If the trade-off is that Granite discs are easy to find/buy and not just a lucky find within the regular X-Link discs then I will gladly take that trade-off. I'm sure it takes less time/cost to keep the colors uniform which should help to fend off future price increases. Vibram is charging retailers more for Granite. If they were still making regular X-Link in unique colors it would be very hard to justify charging more for some (Granite) discs and not for regular X-Link which I'm sure would mean fewer retailers bothering to carry Granite.

Are those two models for 2017 the OS and US mids we've been hearing about?

I am glad to hear vibram is staying put. I visited this thread earlier today and was freaking out. Once I find a disc I like I try to stick with it. I love the vibram putters and midranges, starting to like the vamp, notch and unlace. I was getting depressed thinking I would have to look for a new brand once the vibram were gone. Nothing feels like a vibram. Nothing.

There is no replacement for vibram.

I have a soft vp and soft obex on the way, getting ready for winter.

Also glad granite discs are now a regular thing, I love those.

Are those two models for 2017 the OS and US mids we've been hearing about?

I don't know what all the secrecy is about. Tester discs have already gone out.

The new discs are called the Crag (overstable mid) and the Launch (understable mid)

I've thrown both of them.

I'm actually kind of disappointed in the Launch, mainly cause I don't think it's understable enough. It's more like a Mako or a QMS. I was hoping for more of a Comet/Tursa/Fuse.

The Crag is a decent flier, but I'm not a huge fan of the way the mold grips. It's got an unusual shape.

I'm still very excited about Vibram, but I'm not thrilled about the new molds as is, and I don't really care for the solid colors.

(I love all the new fairways from last year, though, so there's that)

They are the best discs on the market even if they were all made to be ugly earth-tone colors - Remember those?
You mean like, John Deere green ?

3262703-tngcaption132e.jpg

I don't know what all the secrecy is about. Tester discs have already gone out.

The new discs are called the Crag (overstable mid) and the Launch (understable mid)

I've thrown both of them.

I'm actually kind of disappointed in the Launch, mainly cause I don't think it's understable enough. It's more like a Mako or a QMS. I was hoping for more of a Comet/Tursa/Fuse.

The Crag is a decent flier, but I'm not a huge fan of the way the mold grips. It's got an unusual shape.

I'm still very excited about Vibram, but I'm not thrilled about the new molds as is, and I don't really care for the solid colors.

(I love all the new fairways from last year, though, so there's that)

Is there a chance that the Launch will be modified after feedback from testers? I would LOVE a Vibram disc like a Comet/Tursas/Fuse!

When did the tester discs go out? I didn't get anything in the mail as of today.
The preliminary molds went out to Vibram team members. Steve has asked for feedback from the team members, though i am not sure if/when modifications will be made. My guess would be some slight changes, and the mass distribution to the tester team.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

I'm just hoping that the Launch will be truly understable. As a Trilogy guy, I'm thinking something like a Tursas or Fuse.

Last edited:
I don't know what all the secrecy is about...

I wasn't trying to be secretive. It was mentioned to me that two discs are being worked on and I thought that including that could quell some fears here of Vibram disappearing - which is how it sounds a lot of people interpreted that Marshall Street mailer. I was not told that the ones mentioned to me or any other new discs are public info yet so I did not want to say anything more than I did.

Steve and Vibram have gone out of their way for me/Community Discs many times over the years and I wish I could share how cool they have been giving special treatment to a little guy like me.

Thanks for including the info on those upcoming discs MrDarkHorse. The Obex is my favorite but I would LOVE to have a Vibram-made Discraft Meteor - like the QMS/Tursas you mentioned. A speed 4-5 Summit and a more overstable Obex would make my bag 100% Vibram. I'm still dying for a speed 9-10 distance driver. I appreciate that Vibram is careful with their new products and they don't just flood the market the way most other MFG's do.

The thing that pulled me into Vibram more than anything else was the swirly colors. I really love the Jupiter type discs. Makes me sad that they will be going away. I will say that the new glow discs are pretty easy to find in the woods, so that's nice.

I'm lefty, so I really need a low speed turnover disc. I tried the Launch on a couple of my go to turnover holes side by side with my Opto Fuse, and it wasn't even close. The Fuse holds a nice, gentle turnover line for me, while the Launch started to turn but then hooked up and faded out, finishing directly in front of me.

If I were to guess? Something like 4/4/-1/1

I'm lefty, so I really need a low speed turnover disc. I tried the Launch on a couple of my go to turnover holes side by side with my Opto Fuse, and it wasn't even close. The Fuse holds a nice, gentle turnover line for me, while the Launch started to turn but then hooked up and faded out, finishing directly in front of me.

If I were to guess? Something like 4/4/-1/1

That would be disappointing. :(

Latest posts