• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

While not much is known at this point, we know the disc is on the way to the testers sometime in may if all goes well.

Most predictions as the the stability of the disc have it more along the lines of a Boss at best though most people are hoping that it will be the more Ape like disc. Ultimately Vibram, in my best guess will have two more distance drivers that are more overstable than the Lace.

A Boss isn't overstable though....

^I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I just am jealous that I don't have the arm for a Boss to be anything but a meat hook for me!

I must say that I am continually amazed by the Lace. I was out yesterday preparing for a couple tournaments this weekend, and I was throwing on Hole #6 at Jackson Park and I let it rip on a slight hyzer-flip that climbed to about 15-20' max height one its way to blasting about 70' past the basket for about a 470' shot. Unfortunately since it was much too long and I missed the long putt, I still got a 3 on the hole. It still felt good launching one that distance with another advanced player as a witness.

I must say that I am continually amazed by the Lace. I was out yesterday preparing for a couple tournaments this weekend, and I was throwing on Hole #6 at Jackson Park and I let it rip on a slight hyzer-flip that climbed to about 15-20' max height one its way to blasting about 70' past the basket for about a 470' shot. Unfortunately since it was much too long and I missed the long putt, I still got a 3 on the hole. It still felt good launching one that distance with another advanced player as a witness.

That's pretty awesome! great distance for only having played 3 years!

That's pretty awesome! great distance for only having played 3 years!

Thanks. My time in Illinois last fall where I had to drive 45 or more minutes for the nearest course meant I put in a LOT of field work and greatly improved my form and driving distance. I am averaging out about 420'-430' with the Lace currently and can get Ibexes out about 350'-375'. I can say that field work really helps a ton.

A year ago, I was lucky to get 325' with Katanas, Nukes, etc., but discing down and putting in field work helped me out a ton.

Last edited:
^I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I just am jealous that I don't have the arm for a Boss to be anything but a meat hook for me!

Haha okay good! Yeah I've been blessed with a decent arm thankfully. It's a ton of fun!

It's no Ape, but it is certainly more overstable than the Lace.

Yeah I haven't thrown a Boss in awhile so I can't line it up well enough with the Lace. I would probably agree with you though from what I can remember. So are you and other people thinking maybe something like 13 5 0 3 for the O-Lace then? Or more like the Ape at 13 5 0 4? I am thinking maybe the former.

Well, as unofficial as Disc Golf Center is, they have the Lace at the origional stability of the Boss, 13/5/-1/3. In reality I think the Lace is more like what the Groove was supposed to be if they could have made it consistently, 13/6/-2/2. Thus I feel the OS Lace we will see first is more like the origional Boss or the new flight ratings for the Boss. The hope si that they make something later that is more Ape like or Nuke OS like if you ask me. The Nuke OS is hands down my furthest flying OH disc. It will stay in the bag until Vibram makes something comparable or better.

OK I am considering a Vibram Lace, but i keep reading a hi speed. I have trouble with high speeds such as the Ape, vulcan, avenger, teedevil ETC. would the Lace be along those same lines? i just dont have the power to throw those high speed discs

Yeah^ Lace is fast not really overstable at all but not understable either its a pretty neutral distance driver but has a big rim and feels like a faster disc does. They do seem a little easier to get up to speed than other premium plastics like champion or opto etc so in that sense the feel is a little slower but still a high speed distance driver and probably better options out there if you are not throwing 300' midrange shots.

Honestly, I really don't think a Boss is more stable than a Lace! I have three 175 g Laces and I can chuck the crap out of them and they turn a little just like a Boss but never have I flopped one over. Mine are not -2 HSS at all. They are definitely -1 like a Boss.

A new boss and a new lace will not fade equally given 12+ speed of power is being put on them. A boss will not helix like the lace does and the LSS fade of a boss is atleast +1 more than the lace which is a neutral distance driver. I did not find it having a reliable fade like any boss I have ever thrown does no matter the conditions. Headwind def. show the differences and believe the NEW OS lace will be much more like a boss in over-all stability for more powerful players.

A new boss and a new lace will not fade equally given 12+ speed of power is being put on them. A boss will not helix like the lace does and the LSS fade of a boss is atleast +1 more than the lace which is a neutral distance driver. I did not find it having a reliable fade like any boss I have ever thrown does no matter the conditions. Headwind def. show the differences and believe the NEW OS lace will be much more like a boss in over-all stability for more powerful players.

That's a really good run-down and comparison. Admittedly, I have not thrown my Laces into wind yet so I will take your word for it. Still though - I hope the OS Lace is more overstable than a Boss. Even in b/w a Boss and an Ape would be fine.

Agreed it would be nice to see the OS lace be more stable than a boss or ATLEAST that stable. I am still hunting for an OS distance driver I really like... loved the lace but just was not what I needed in terms of filling a stability roll in my bag. It specially did not seem to flex out of anny release as much as I would like in a DD either.

Latest posts