• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

My fh love the ascent however.

Found the same with my Ascent, its my best forehand disc, even better *surprisingly* than my Firebird (ok - its DX, but still).

For my backhand, the Ascent is a touch beefier than my Champ Teebird, but they share the same role. The Ascent's grip is what seals its place ahead of the Teebird. (wondering what GStar plastic is like, though:\)

Does anyone have any experience throwing 160's vs. 170's weight olace. Do they fly the same or is the lighter weights less stable and heavier weights more stable or are they pretty consistent across those weight differences. Thanks in advance for any info.

I unfortunately lost my heavier OLace on basket 18 at Fountain Hills during the Memorial this year. I pulled a lighter OLace from the restock bin and although a relatively small difference, 170 to 166, they flew exactly the same. I know I talked about the difference in the Lace previously, but I am thinking it has more to do with use than it does with the weight.

Dome-y Lace

Recently I recovered a 169 glow Lace from beneath snow that melted... it appears much dome-i-er than my other Laces. Does this mean that my glow Lace is now a tad more understable, almost as if it was beat-in a smidge? I've heard that dome-y Traks fly more overstable than less dome-y Traks. How can this be? If a disc is dome-y doesn't that lend itself to being less stable/more understable? As an example, the unlace is more dome-y than the Lace, which makes it more understable than the Lace.

Anybody play a Birdie Bash yet? Are the disc colors as awesome as last years or are there a lot of "white" colored discs arriving? Post a picture of your players pack if you can!

I played in, yes. I had a red, white, and blue Ascent. I also received a multi-colored Sole. Blue, green, and white. I'll post some pictures of the discs I got tomorrow. :)

Does anyone have any experience throwing 160's vs. 170's weight olace. Do they fly the same or is the lighter weights less stable and heavier weights more stable or are they pretty consistent across those weight differences. Thanks in advance for any info.

I unfortunately lost my heavier OLace on basket 18 at Fountain Hills during the Memorial this year. I pulled a lighter OLace from the restock bin and although a relatively small difference, 170 to 166, they flew exactly the same. I know I talked about the difference in the Lace previously, but I am thinking it has more to do with use than it does with the weight.

I was wondering this myself. I'm absolutely in love with my Laces and unLaces and would really love to add their "big brother" O-Lace to the family. However, I'm by no means a big arm and try to stay away from beefy discs.

That being said, I see there are some high 150's Firm O-Laces out there... In your opinion, would that combination (high 150's in weight + firm rubber, which typically makes the mold a tick less stable to begin with) make a "Lace" that I can throw into headwinds (i.e., my Laces would flip, but this 158 Firm O-Lace would hold true without being a meathook)

I know my question is subjective and reliant on a ton of factors, so I'm simply seeking a generalized opinion. :p I appreciate TalbotTrojan mentioning the effects (or lack thereof) of dropping 4g. but are 150-class, Firm O-Laces the "meekest" form of the O-Lace, as I suspect?

Thanks, I hope you all have a great day!
-Bubs :p

^^^

...well, let's say a weight range of 158-163, just to cover more ground. (I've got my eye on a BEAUTIFUL 163 O-Lace, so I'm hoping that a 158 will not differ too much from a 163) :p

Recently I recovered a 169 glow Lace from beneath snow that melted... it appears much dome-i-er than my other Laces. Does this mean that my glow Lace is now a tad more understable, almost as if it was beat-in a smidge? I've heard that dome-y Traks fly more overstable than less dome-y Traks. How can this be? If a disc is dome-y doesn't that lend itself to being less stable/more understable? As an example, the unlace is more dome-y than the Lace, which makes it more understable than the Lace.

Not set in stone but low plh gets more stable with dome and high plh gets more stable the flatter it gets.

I was wondering this myself. I'm absolutely in love with my Laces and unLaces and would really love to add their "big brother" O-Lace to the family. However, I'm by no means a big arm and try to stay away from beefy discs.

That being said, I see there are some high 150's Firm O-Laces out there... In your opinion, would that combination (high 150's in weight + firm rubber, which typically makes the mold a tick less stable to begin with) make a "Lace" that I can throw into headwinds (i.e., my Laces would flip, but this 158 Firm O-Lace would hold true without being a meathook)

I know my question is subjective and reliant on a ton of factors, so I'm simply seeking a generalized opinion. :p I appreciate TalbotTrojan mentioning the effects (or lack thereof) of dropping 4g. but are 150-class, Firm O-Laces the "meekest" form of the O-Lace, as I suspect?

I picked up a 164 Medium O-Lace and my experience has been similar to when I used a SSS Wizard. The flight plate is dimpling where I grip. I have not noticed this same dimpling on my other Vibram Mediums, and I throw 159-166 for preference.

It seems the lighter weight O-Laces have a thinner flight plate in comparison. I am also seeing this same behavior on a 165 O-Lace I picked up.

A few blasts from the microwave fixed the issue, but it does seem to happen more with these lighter weight O-Laces.

I picked up a 164 Medium O-Lace and my experience has been similar to when I used a SSS Wizard. The flight plate is dimpling where I grip. I have not noticed this same dimpling on my other Vibram Mediums, and I throw 159-166 for preference.

It seems the lighter weight O-Laces have a thinner flight plate in comparison. I am also seeing this same behavior on a 165 O-Lace I picked up.

A few blasts from the microwave fixed the issue, but it does seem to happen more with these lighter weight O-Laces.

Seems the flight plate is thinner on the olaces, I've gotten the dimples from really good tree wacks. I've also seen two variants of olaces, ones withe very uniform domes(mostly firms) and ones with a slight groove then a come in the center. The grooved ones seem the most stable so far.

I think so! According to one source, the new run of o-Laces are quite beefy. I have an older o-Lace, and I can throw it FH/BH, but I haven't tried the newer o-Laces yet. Might be out of my power range, but generally Vibram doesn't tailor their discs to the big-arm crowd, as much as Innova. The fade-forward technology means that their discs have some turn, in addition to fade.

None that I have heard. Where is this "somewhere" that you read that?

I posted a general inquiry to VDG at the end of the February. I got an answer from them and there was a sentence that said "We have a new disc coming out in April.". And this e-mail was sent by Mr. Vibram himself (SD).

I posted a general inquiry to VDG at the end of the February. I got an answer from them and there was a sentence that said "We have a new disc coming out in April.". And this e-mail was sent by Mr. Vibram himself (SD).

First I have heard of this. Interesting! I wonder if this will be the release of the 420B mold that was sent to testers but ultimately deemed too overstable for the O-Lace mold. Would not be a disc for everyone but would definitely be a disc for big arms and Vibram's sponsored pros. Fills the last whole in their long range drivers category. I am sure Steve will make an announcement soon.

Nice. I feel like Vibram could use a new release. I'm fond of their brand, and feel like they've been slow in filling out their lineup, particularly in the last two years.

I've been acclimating to a pair of Spyridon FiveFingers over the last couple of weeks. This is my first experience with zero drop shoes, so my calves are still adjusting, but I'm really excited about them. I love how light they are. The Spyridons also offer a lot of protection to the sole. I haven't tried to play in them yet - I'm at the hopefully-tail end of some time off to allow a minor shoulder injury to heal - but I'll be bringing them with me on a trip up to the northwest next week (talk about travel friendly! they'll take no room in the suitcase) and will give them a test run then.

I think I'm gonna play more (course pending) in my FiveFingers this year. Ran outside in em for the 1st time since Fall and my calves were sore for 5 days.

Latest posts