• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

i havent been following this at all, but are they really renaming the disc? :/

also quesiton about durability. i did another birdie bash this year, and picked up the ascent. in 2 rounds the disc became as flippy as my leopard (i actually really liked its brand new flight). i also noticed the speedy beat in with my Obex last year. i have a Ridge, Ibex, and Summit tho, and all 3 have taken a harder beating and still retain a flight similar to its brand new one. i think they are all F or MF. anyone know what gives with that kind of observation?

I like that. Plus someone suggested Piton earlier. Perhaps a poll in the making?

I'm betting that the new name for the Four20 has already been decided upon, and that none of us will have any influence on that name...

...however, if for some reason Steve Dodge (et al.) are taking suggestions, I'd suggest Sherpa as it can be used to help players "navigate the toughest scenarios" (e.g., drastic winds, tricky hyzers, deep doglegs, etc.) and is still fits within the defined naming convention. :thmbup:

-Bubs :p

smyith..
1. Yes, new name......apparently some people with too much time on their hands and severely misplaced priorities made a stink about something that has no effect whatsoever on their personal lives.

2. Depends on Firm or Medium. Firm beats in faster, while Medium takes longer to beat in. Medium (IMO) stays in that 'sweet spot' spot for much longer.

Are you throwing the Ascent FH or BH? Never seen or heard of an Ascent being 'flippy' on a BH throw, only FH because of wrist-roll/OAT.

smyith..
1. Yes, new name......apparently some people with too much time on their hands and severely misplaced priorities made a stink about something that has no effect whatsoever on their personal lives.
that bums me out they buckled to a minority....
2. Depends on Firm or Medium. Firm beats in faster, while Medium takes longer to beat in. Medium (IMO) stays in that 'sweet spot' spot for much longer.

Are you throwing the Ascent FH or BH? Never seen or heard of an Ascent being 'flippy' on a BH throw, only FH because of wrist-roll/OAT.

all BH on that destruction. my year old meteor flies more stable then the ascent after 2 rounds *shrug*. i was just surprised it went so quick. im not a power thrower by any means.

that bums me out they buckled to a minority....

all BH on that destruction. my year old meteor flies more stable then the ascent after 2 rounds *shrug*. i was just surprised it went so quick. im not a power thrower by any means.

I've heard about this with the Ascent, haven't experienced it... your faster discs are going to beat-in faster, because they're hitting the ground harder, in general.

Really stoked to be trying these discs. I went for broke and got every model except the sole. Most of them in firm plastic, some of them in firm and one in soft, 4 came in the mail today and the storms prevented me from testing them out. Would have been a perfect time to test the grip though in the rain.

2 Ascents, a soft VP and a Medium Lace, still 11 to come in the mail though. 2 more packages are expected to arrive tomorrow.

Attachments

• 10259727_10201635175272199_7822925104710357172_n.jpg
    10259727_10201635175272199_7822925104710357172_n.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 33
Really stoked to be trying these discs. I went for broke and got every model except the sole. Most of them in firm plastic, some of them in firm and one in soft, 4 came in the mail today and the storms prevented me from testing them out. Would have been a perfect time to test the grip though in the rain.

2 Ascents, a soft VP and a Medium Lace, still 11 to come in the mail though. 2 more packages are expected to arrive tomorrow.

Nice to hear from ya! The soft VP is a real winner! I've heard good things, though I don't own a soft VP. I have a soft Ridge. Same functionality as a medium or firm, but it'll fold in/on itself if it hits the chains dead-nuts. My friends love grabbing that disc out of the chains and putting it into their pocket... old blue I call it. Great disc! Disc on!

Did a Birdie Bash last weekend and finally got some more Vibram to huck! Purchased two players packs and got 170m and 172m Ridges, a Lace that was supposed to be 170-172m but was un inked and a 174m 0-Lace. Had a blast and threw well! Got eight points the first round and thirteen the second. A feller aced with a Lace :) and had a first timer out having a great time. Awesome event and great disc golf discs! Helped me lighten my bag up replacing silly plastic.

170m Four20 update: Disc is definitely beat to stability. RHFH shots 90% of its flights. Loves to stay low and always fades back. Id say very similar flight of the Star Boss that used to own a spot in my bag :p Reaching over 350ft no problem as before like Dana stated was hard to get it past 300 new. My buddy picked up a 160m yesterday and pretty excited to throw it because this disc has become my new favorite hands down.

Did a Birdie Bash last weekend and finally got some more Vibram to huck! Purchased two players packs and got 170m and 172m Ridges, a Lace that was supposed to be 170-172m but was un inked and a 174m 0-Lace. Had a blast and threw well! Got eight points the first round and thirteen the second. A feller aced with a Lace :) and had a first timer out having a great time. Awesome event and great disc golf discs! Helped me lighten my bag up replacing silly plastic.

170m Four20 update: Disc is definitely beat to stability. RHFH shots 90% of its flights. Loves to stay low and always fades back. Id say very similar flight of the Star Boss that used to own a spot in my bag :p Reaching over 350ft no problem as before like Dana stated was hard to get it past 300 new. My buddy picked up a 160m yesterday and pretty excited to throw it because this disc has become my new favorite hands down.

Nice to hear from ya! Last season I got a Lace and a Ridge at the bash.

Pretty excited for the Four20!

Back from the Frankfort Ky Birdie Bash. Why do I get an Ace when there is no Ace fund? :) Ended up with 6 more Vibrams than my player's pack. One kid however went on a mad putting spree with his new Sole so it is going in his bag. He ended up winning with a 38.

170m 420 update: I think i broke my four20 lol this disc is now flipping on my forehand shots. Sometimes not getting that big fade it used to posses. I have a 174m but i think Im going to wait for the new re-release to step up. Got one over 400ft yesterday but unfortunately it landed on the golf green for O.B. :(

170m 420 update: I think i broke my four20 lol this disc is now flipping on my forehand shots. Sometimes not getting that big fade it used to posses. I have a 174m but i think Im going to wait for the new re-release to step up. Got one over 400ft yesterday but unfortunately it landed on the golf green for O.B. :(

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to throwing it! The o-Lace has been a nice addition for forehands and headwinds!

Took a friend out this past weekend who is just getting into disc golf and I told him I would bring some spare discs for him to try out. He immediately fell in love with the Summit, even knocked down a 50 foot putt with it. Since my main Summit still looks like new, I gladly passed my back up along to him. Hopefully he will be a new addition to the rubber brotherhood.

Took a friend out this past weekend who is just getting into disc golf and I told him I would bring some spare discs for him to try out. He immediately fell in love with the Summit, even knocked down a 50 foot putt with it. Since my main Summit still looks like new, I gladly passed my back up along to him. Hopefully he will be a new addition to the rubber brotherhood.

There were some guys at league the first week we started doing points. One of them was saying he wanted a "pretty" putter, so I traded him a red, white, and blue Summit for one of his putters. He's been to league every week since then! Along with his older brother!

I'm going with another Summit for the Birdie Bash - heavier this time. Wanted to try the Ridge, but I thought a heavier Summit might do the trick for those breezy days.

I'm going with another Summit for the Birdie Bash - heavier this time. Wanted to try the Ridge, but I thought a heavier Summit might do the trick for those breezy days.

Yeah, that sounds good. Personally, the VP is the only way to go. Handles MN wind... even in winter. Most consistent, most comfortable grip (for big hands)... this time I went with 150-class VP... going to see if it has more glide. Otherwise, I'd be fine with a less overstable VP.

I carry (max weight) a Summit and VP. The Summit is no Chuck Norris on a windy day like the VP is....

I just purchased a couple of Ridges from my friend. One of them is lighter weight. (Not 100% certain the weight, because the marker has worn off.)

The lighter weight (and nicely beat-in) Ridge flies closer to a Summit than a lot of my Ridges. Consider going with a lighter weight Ridge, at some point. They'll beat-in a little, so think about it. Personally, I carry all the Vibram putters (and I still have extra room in my bag, even though I carry a smaller bag of about a dozen discs).

I have a VP, and a Sole, but I just click with a shallow putter. My current Summit is 163, and I'll be getting one in the 173-75 range. VP is certainly better for big wind, but my current Summit gets bumped around by breeze. I am hopeful a heavier one will stand up to anything under 20 mph or so.

Latest posts