• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

My experience with the Lace is.... it's probably going to bomb for you, but if you have bad form and/or get a bad one, it can tend to flip on you.
Along these lines, if you come across a flap-top Lace and it's flipping on you, do the boiling water trick on it. It'll return the dome to the disc and, from my experience, will also return the stability.

Do Ascents and Traks have the same flight plate? I bought a Trak yesterday and on the bottom of the disc where it says TRAK, I can see shadows of the letters ASCENT as if they were scratched off the mold.

Post pics.

You can see the A and the T before and after TRAK...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Trak1.jpg
    Trak1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 364
  • Trak2.jpg
    Trak2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 365
They were talking about this on the Vibram facebook group. Evidently some of the moldings were created from other molds that were just modified. Can't remember all the details exactly but it's just normal.

My experience with the Lace is.... it's probably going to bomb for you, but if you have bad form and/or get a bad one, it can tend to flip on you.

My experience has been different as long as you know what weight flies best for what you're looking for. I tried a 161 and it was basically unthrowable for me out of the box, at least on distance lines. I've had a few used ones that surprised me with how much turn they have. But I've never bought a new Lace above 166 or so grams and not had it range anywhere from controllable turn to stable at my full power on a flat release. I can rip my fresh max weight Medium into a headwind and it still comes back.

Of course, I don't have massive power (~375' consistent max D, as I said, with occasional forays beyond). But I've found the Lace to be very controllable relative to its stability and speed. Discs like the King or the Intertia are much more finicky for me. I've rarely had a Lace that I've thrown before surprise me. Mistakes are almost always attributable to egregious form mishaps on my part or inopportune wind. I've found it to be if anything a relatively forgiving and predictable disc for what it is. I can see 425'+ throwers having issues with it, but at my power it's a great, consistent mold. Just my $.02.

One of the things on my Lace to-do list has been getting a cycle going with Firms since they break in faster. I love the feel of Medium, but I've found the grip in Firm to have improved over the last year or two, and would like to have easier access to a mildly worn in max weight Lace. My 170 that I've bagged for a year or so has just recently gone from stable to slightly understable, and I have a bit of a gap in between it and my fresh Medium right now.

I know the 2013 maple hill disc in general have more stability then there standard run counter parts. Is the same thing true for the 2014 discs?
Aslo are the soft disc in general more or less stable then there medium siblings?

Generally, Softs have more glide and slightly less stability than their counterparts. I think it's a more noticeable distinction when new than any differences between Medium and Firm.

Hit my first Lace Ace today! And first FH ace! 250' hole, basket tucked between and behind two trees to the right. Wind was doing funky stuff so I just wanted to keep it low and straight with a flick and skip it to the basket. Threw it too high and it faded right into the chains, smashed them so hard I thought for sure it was coming back out.

Hit my first Lace Ace today! And first FH ace! 250' hole, basket tucked between and behind two trees to the right. Wind was doing funky stuff so I just wanted to keep it low and straight with a flick and skip it to the basket. Threw it too high and it faded right into the chains, smashed them so hard I thought for sure it was coming back out.

Awesome! Way to go! My 4 Vibram aces have been with Ibexes and Soles. Still looking for that first Lace ace.

I think it's Vibram SOFTober. So October. But I could be wrong, what I don't really know is if that's the ONLY time the run them or not.

Met Steve Dodge at Disc Nation today. Here are my thoughts and some new info:

Confirmed floating discs! More about the valley! "Complete fairway lineup this year"

http://dgunderground.com/2015/meeting-vibrams-steve-dodge-at-disc-nation/

Floating Vibrams, a Leopard-style and Firebird-style fairway... great stuff from Vibram Disc Golf this year!

Thanks MrDarkHorse for the blog post! Great stuff! Doesn't need to be set in stone yet, because Vibram always comes out with great stuff!

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you have a flippy driver, then you can use it to learn opposite hand throwing form. I use my unLace for a lot of left-handed throws for extra practice. Both the Lace and unLace are awesome for learning how to shape different lines and changing hyzer-angles etc.

6624190_orig.jpg

My apologies for being out of the loop lately. Lots of travel and even more hot tubbing have kept me quite occupied. Besides the revamped Valley (and two of its kin) being hucked around tomorrow, here is the latest and greatest.

Vibram Disc Golf Madness:
https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/invitation?g=132581&k=8fdf1ddac762537e

If you get in the top 10, then you get a proto Valley. Sweet! I wonder if it's the revamped Valley... either way, should be good! If you know what you're looking for, then go for it!

Generally, Softs have more glide and slightly less stability than their counterparts. I think it's a more noticeable distinction when new than any differences between Medium and Firm.

I have a medium and a soft Ibex. I've noticed better glide out of the soft, though I can't say that it seems noticeably less stable. It is a bit newer, however, so the medium has more seasoning and that may be the difference.

Latest posts