• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Discs (don't get caught without your rubber)

Bob Graham, the first Team Vibram player and an MSDGC Spirit Award recipient, called me late last year regarding his new VPs. He had managed to warp one and took it out of his bag. The next day, according to Bob, it had gone back to shape.

I laughed and said that that was great to hear, although I did not really believe it. The next week, Kyle Maute of Phenix Disc Sports was visiting Maple Hill and I relayed this story to him. Without blinking, he took a Vibram disc and with some ferocious throws into my sidewalk, managed to warp the disc to barely recognizable. We came back later that day and the disc was still quite mangled. He laughed at me (because I wanted to believe Bob) and took the disc home as a souvenier.

The next time we talked, this souveneir disc came up in the conversation and Kyle exclaimed to me that he too was now a believer. His disc went back to shape! And then he threw it against some more walls and it did it again and again.

Hmm, there may be something to this. I then took a VP and a Summit in the X-Link and X-Link Firm and managed to mangle them something fierce. I then let them sit on my desk and within a week, they had worked their way back to shape. I took these discs to Bowling Green Ams and used them as a prop. I don't know if people beleived me or not.

Doing some testing with this, we determined that the discs go back to shape faster when they are warmed. I confidently took this knowledge to Gotta Go Gotta Throw and did some brutal durability testing. After destroying a bunch of baseline plastics and gouging up a Champ Rhyno a bit (although it held its shape well), we took the X-Link Ridge into the shop and tried to get it back to shape. It would not go back to shape, even with warming to speed up the process. It took 28 drives into a brick wall, but the flight plate eventually lost its structural integrity.

I bring all this up because I recently made a YouTube video of similar durability testing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlv5HlAfUx0) and the X-Link Ridge came back to shape and I just had to share the pics. I'll post them below. Enjoy and thanks for all of the encouragement.

X-Link Ridge (the warp in the middle has gone back to shape!)
photo5.jpg

Soft Wizard
photo4.jpg

Zero Grip Pure
photo1.jpg

DX Aviar
photo2.jpg

Pro D Magnet
photo3.jpg

Hey, are the VPs being run in the x-link soft to, or do we have to wait a bit for that, hey how about some granite vps to Sir Dodge!

peppermack said:
Hey, are the VPs being run in the x-link soft to, or do we have to wait a bit for that, hey how about some granite vps to Sir Dodge!

Our initial tests for the second batch were successful. We will begin running all three models in X-Link Soft next week.

i picked up a 2009 KC Worlds V.P. and i must say i'm really really enjoying. it's just the stable approach disc i've been looking for to replace my pro rhynos that eventually get too straight. i can't say it would ever take over my putter slot but i really love the utility i can get out of it from 150' or so and in.

can anyone tell me about this run? is this an X-Link soft, is it a first run? etc

KC Worlds VPs were run in X-Link. They were a special pre-production run and there were only 100 of them made.

I just got three of the most beautiful swirly granite Vibram discs from Flick4D I have ever seen. They all kind of look like the Green Ridge that TRB posted a pic of. They feel awesome too! two VPs and a ridge, and he sold me a summit on the cheap to. GIDDY UP! :D :D :D

peppermack said:
I just got three of the most beautiful swirly granite Vibram discs from Flick4D I have ever seen. They all kind of look like the Green Ridge that TRB posted a pic of. They feel awesome too! two VPs and a ridge, and he sold me a summit on the cheap to. GIDDY UP! :D :D :D
When are you coming to WV? I look forward to your home being close enough to burglarize…

I am moving next month! I think your stash is in more danger than I am, you have all the good stuff! We will have to meet and play sometime Ray! You could be the first DGR alumni that I play with!

Well I ordered a couple of Ridges from Disc Golf Center. I bought a "unique firm" it is orange-ish red with orange splotches. I also got a regular pink one.

I was expecting a hot pink one like I have seen posted in some pictures on here, but what I received was a light pink kind of like a pig's nose with small blue speckles throughout. I really didn't like the color much. I left it outside all day yesterday and it has faded quite significantly (i wasn't trying to fade it i just was lazy and left my discs out). It is just slightly pink now almost off white. I haven't really seen other discs fade this significantly that quickly. I am going to be careful with my unique one because I do like the looks of that one.

Both of these were a little more stable out of the box than I was expecting. I am currently throwing a broken in first run Voodoo and it has very minimal fade compared to these. I also was surprised that the plastic was quite soft in both the firm and the regular. My Soft Voodoo is quite a bit firmer.

Just some initial impressions.

Spence255 said:
Well I ordered a couple of Ridges from Disc Golf Center. I bought a "unique firm" it is orange-ish red with orange splotches. I also got a regular pink one.

I was expecting a hot pink one like I have seen posted in some pictures on here, but what I received was a light pink kind of like a pig's nose with small blue speckles throughout. I really didn't like the color much. I left it outside all day yesterday and it has faded quite significantly (i wasn't trying to fade it i just was lazy and left my discs out). It is just slightly pink now almost off white. I haven't really seen other discs fade this significantly that quickly. I am going to be careful with my unique one because I do like the looks of that one.

Both of these were a little more stable out of the box than I was expecting. I am currently throwing a broken in first run Voodoo and it has very minimal fade compared to these. I also was surprised that the plastic was quite soft in both the firm and the regular. My Soft Voodoo is quite a bit firmer.

Just some initial impressions.

I found the Voodoo to be perfectly in between a Ridge and Summit, yet I would rather carry these two discs than the Voodoo alone because the Ridge is so versatile and the Summit is basically a more controllable Meteor that can putt.

As for fading colors, I guess I really did not notice it until you pointed it out. All of mine are more of a splotchy marble type of combination of colors and speckles. The oldest ones seem to have faded into a more solid base, leaving the marble effect less noticable but still definitely there. They all still look really nice and unique, unlike anything I see anyone else throwing and they always get people to look and wonder what I have in my hands.

Latest posts