• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Discs (don't get caught without your rubber)

I was wondering if they had different flight characteristics. Also does anyone know that the Granite Plastic is like?

Right now I'm liking the grip on the mediums better. Firms are nice but seem a bit more slick in the hand. We will see how it handles touch once it dirties up a bit. I've noticed a variation in stability, so buy them in person if you can so you can compare plh and get what you want.

I posted some thoughts on my experience in yesterday's local Birdie Bash yesterday (City Park New Orleans) on DGCR, and I thought I would share them here, too.

It was my first tournament; I had assumed that the Birdie Bash would be a good starter tourney, and I was right. The atmosphere was fun and supportive, even when it got competitive. I'm sure who I got paired with helped, and that I was never really in the running for the grand prize, so there was no pressure there. But there was a good level of camaraderie and mutual support going on, which was cool to see. Plus, I don't play with the local club very often (lots of work on nights and weekends), so this was a great opportunity to get to know them better. Definitely going to start going out more club events once summer hits and my work schedule lightens up.

I loved the format. The TD set up a lot of alternative holes/tees, so it was fun to play a mostly-new course (even if it compounded the challenge of playing with new discs). Or to put it a different way: it was fun to see the course from new angles. The often-shortened holes meant that a birdie was viable on pretty much every hole, which is far from a given from a relative newb like myself. Rounds played fast - about an hour and 15 minutes - which was nice. Again, it was a good easing-into the experience of playing two competitive rounds back to back (something I don't do often, if for no other reason than because I often play alone).

It wasn't all wine and roses, however: the discs failed to make it in time (!!!). The TD should be commended for keeping a good face and salvaging things: he's the friendly local disc proprietor, so he just made his Vibram stores available. It wasn't enough to cover everyone, however, so he ended up getting locals who throw Vibram to give out some loaners to cover the difference. I don't want to overstate the negative side of this - the predominant impression I got was that people had fun - but it definitely had an impact on the afternoon. Because we were working with what was available, many didn't get the discs or weights that they had asked for. This led to some comical situations, like a guy in my second round who was throwing a Soft Ridge that had apparently sat in the water for a year. Not sure if the water had had an effect, but that thing was crazy floppy, and was literally unusable for putts outside of ten feet (he did however almost get an ace with it!). I think people were generally bummed to not get to use "their" discs. I also felt like people ended up with more Firms than Mediums, which I thought was a bummer, because I personally think Medium feels was superior. I hope the experience didn't put too bad a taste in people's mouth, but I fear it did with at least a few, even though it's hard to blame Vibram for the late-arriving discs (TD said they were due to arrive Friday via UPS guaranteed, but that UPS delayed their delivery for some reason).

For my part, I got there early enough that I was able to snag the driver I had wanted (Medium Trak). I had to use a loaner (Firm) VP, though (probably could have used my own had I thought about it - they were in my car; then I wouldn't have had to fear losing someone else's disc!). I thought that the Trak ended up being a good choice for the Bash - it's pretty versatile, and I seemed to be able to get surprisingly easy distance from it considering I'm used to glidely Lat/Westside drivers. I definitely plan to spend some more time with it. My familiarity with the VP (started throwing them after buying two off of Brodysseus; love that thing) was definitely an advantage, and as the day went on I found myself throwing it more and more. Not a massive fan of putting with the Firms (I look forward to snagging the Medium I was supposed to get for the tourney when it comes in on Monday), but off the tee and for long upshots, that thing is perfect. Anyway, I finished with a 16 total from the two rounds - nothing for all the 500'-throwing, 1000-rated studs of DCGR to get excited about, but I was fairly happy with how I played, a few tantalizingly close birdie putts and one hair's width away from my first ace aside.

PLUS: the TD had a throw-off (CTP) at the end of the day to win a spare water bottle, and I won! I was tempted to tell my fiance that I had won the whole thing, and that all they had for the champion was a water bottle ("Look how poor the local disc golf club is, honey; I need to buy more discs to help them out!"). Anyway, it was nice to walk away with something that I earned with my playing.

(Way) TL;DR: Fun day, loved the format, great first tourney, good people, discs didn't get there which bummed people out but the TD improvised and saved the day, and I won a water bottle. *score* Will definitely play in this puppy next year.

Stringbean said:
Has anyone heard an estimated release date on the overstable version of the Lace? Any testers out there?

According to the Vibram thread on DGCR, the overstable Lace has been postponed until later in the year. They are working on three other projects, one of which isn't a new disc.

Two Vibram proto's came in the mail today. I am Under the influence right now, but will Drive Over to the park in the morning to test them out at Max Speed. :D

R419B.jpg

My 169M R419B. I freakin' LOVE it. Despite being ~20g heavier than my normal drivers, I was getting an extremely consistent gentle S with just a wee bit o' fade on 75-80% flat release hucks. Tons of penetration & forward-leaning fade. Consistently as long as my Dominators, but with considerably less effort. The bomb of a distance driver with the precision of a fairway - a keeper fo sho!

R420B.jpg

My 170M R420B. Minimal testing so far, but quite an overstable pig. I'll be giving it the business with some thumbers & tommies this afternoon, and maybe see what it has to offer for spike hyzers over my house & into the basketball hoop.

It was pissing down rain as I tested yesterday, but the X-Link Medium formulation stayed grippy & even a little tacky.

Vegan, did you notice that the R419B was more grippy/rubbery than the R420B? Not sure if it is a different blend or if it was because of the more thin flight plate (my 419B is 167grams - 420B is 173grams).

Would you say that your R420B was relatively flat? Sounds like the R420 has some dome to it.

I didn't appreciate it yesterday, but, upon further inspection, the 419 does seem to be a li'l softer & somewhat tackier than the 420. The 420 is less domey than the 419, but I wouldn't call it anywhere near "flat".

veganray said:
My 169M R419B. I freakin' LOVE it. Despite being ~20g heavier than my normal drivers, I was getting an extremely consistent gentle S with just a wee bit o' fade on 75-80% flat release hucks. Tons of penetration & forward-leaning fade. Consistently as long as my Dominators, but with considerably less effort. The bomb of a distance driver with the precision of a fairway - a keeper fo sho!

My 170M R420B. Minimal testing so far, but quite an overstable pig. I'll be giving it the business with some thumbers & tommies this afternoon, and maybe see what it has to offer for spike hyzers over my house & into the basketball hoop.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. The 419B is like a longer, new premium plastic Avenger SS with a bit more turn. The 420 likely doesn't have a place in my bag. It feels like it's 100 feet shorter than the Laces or the 419 (it's not, it just seems to want to get out of the air quite quickly).

Just got done throwing these for the first time. R419B is long. I love the grip, and the wide rim seems more comfortable than other speed 12-13 drivers. Had to be careful not to roll my wrist over as it would turn and not come back. Had more turn than the TD2 but less than the Blizz DD2 that I was throwing it with.

R420B is extremely overstable. The fade is very hard and very early. A lot more OS than my Opto Villain. I threw it a couple of times forehand and it works real well in that regard.

Stringbean said:
R420B is extremely overstable. The fade is very hard and very early. A lot more OS than my Opto Villain. I threw it a couple of times forehand and it works real well in that regard.

I'll have to try that. I'm just starting to develop a forehand.

iacas said:
Stringbean said:

I'll have to try that. I'm just starting to develop a forehand.

Me too.

O-Lace and Un-Lace are now PDGA approved. Steve Dodge posted on DGCR that they will modify the wing on the O-Lace to make it less stable. Makes sense from a sales standpoint. As it was, it would only be useful to those with 450-500 feet of power which I am guessing is about .5% of the disc golf population.

Latest posts