• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

vibram five fingers

BADman

Eagle Member
I used to play with a guy who wore these shoes and he swore by em. Any of y'all. Use em, and which modle is most suited to what we do?

I have a buddy that plays pretty well in them. He swears that give him better balance for tossing.

I have had them for about a year. I love Vibram and steve dodge, but the shoes are really bad.

Flowers get stuck in the toes and you look like an idiot walking around with daisies in your feet. The bottom got scraped up really bad on my first round by sharp rocks. If you step in a pile of dog poo you can feel the warmth.
I tried them for soccer twice and both times I sprained my small toe when it came out of the toe holder.
I tried them for running and there is no support for distance running and they smell horrible. I wastold they are antimicrobial and washable, but after about 2 weeks of wear I had to wash them 3-4 times to get the funk out.

They are a great shoe if you are an 800 or 1600 meter runner in high school track, that is all!

I'd be more inclined to use Merrell barefoot trail gloves or New Balance Minimus trails before I'd use the 5 fingers. Mostly because the Vibram's just look weird. Oh and you can wear socks with the Merrell's and the New Balance's so your shoes don't get as stinky. I have the New Balance's and they feel a lot like soccer spikes (without the spikes). I did most of my running in soccer spikes so I like the way they fit and support (or lack of) as opposed to "traditional" running shoes. As far as disc golf goes I don't think the shoes I'm wearing have any bearing on how I throw though. I've played in the NB's and they're nice but I don't think the sole will hold up for it and you can really really feel the ground through the shoes (in a bad way). So I play in hiking shoes

My brother uses them and swears that they give him better grip on the tee pad, and that they are comfortable and feel as if he is wearing no shoes at all. If you can stand the way they look and you think that you have normal feet proportions they could be pretty good. I also see them becoming popular among weight lifters because there is very little give in the shoes sole over most tennis shoes, besides converse. I am not sure however which model he has but he has had them for a year and they are still going strong today.

I end up with bad arch pain if I wear them much.
I wore them for several days in a row as a Lifegaurd. They are a lot harder to swim in than they look. I thought it would be super easy since it was like being barefoot, but I was wrong.

There's a big thread on this over on DGR. I'm probably going to be picking up a pair of Komodo Sport five fingers soon. My chiropractor, physical therapist, and podiatrist all said that these are much better for you in the long run vs. traditional footwear. The only thing they all said is to ease into using them (e.g. don't throw out your sneakers and start wearing the five fingers 100% of the time right from the start).

The only thing they all said is to ease into using them (e.g. don't throw out your sneakers and start wearing the five fingers 100% of the time right from the start).

Yeah, this is a must do for anybody that has worn shoes all their life (i.e. don't go barefoot much).

I have a pair of KSOs and Bikalas but I don't disc in either b/c I'm convinced that nobody makes a sole durable enough to survive tee pads for long and I just don't want to ruin them.

But I love them. They are not for everybody but they are the best things for simulating being barefoot there is. Being barefoot is our natural state. Our feet evolved over millions of years to become this shape. Then we put large soles on our feet that persuaded us to walk unnaturally which is heel to toe b/c the sole on the heel allowed it to absorb shock. But striking the ground heel first over time wreaks havoc on your other joints b/c you're not designed to walk that way. After wearing mine for about 2 weeks my stiff back and knee pain vanished.

I have a pair of bikila LS...but would never play golf in them. I use them when I'm lifting weights.

They are much too expensive to have to replace as quickly as I do with my vibram soled golf shoes.

I have a pair of biklila ls and love playing golf in them. I have had to see my big toe because I ripped it open playing. So far other than that they have held up pretty well but I am worried about destroying them while playing. I found with my bad back they actually help me play longer. I'm usually whipped after one full round with my tournament bag. With my vff I can usually get in three rounds of 18-24 holes. One warning they do stink pretty bad lol. If you get a pair buy some inijini socks. So worth the money.

Also I think I have a better standstill throw with them.

I like mine, but you have to figure out what's best for you. I love them for walking on grass and occasionally disc golf, but not if I'm walking on hard surfaces. I only wear them with toe socks. As far as the smell, its extremely easy to throw them in the wash and they air dry quickly. They also make for a great water shoe.

I guess technically I don't use them much for disc golf, but I do love them in limited doses. I just stick with good ol' Nike frees for my disc golf

I have a pair of Komodo Sports but found I did not like them for disc golf. I love the feel wearing them, but my home course has concrete tees that are just too rough on them. I also would get little twigs stuck between my toes all the time when walking through the woods. I do enjoy them on other courses with natural tees. Cool shoes that are very comfy, just not "tough" enough for my home course.

And BTW, I wear the toe socks with them and they don't smell. Helps a ton with the odor. A little more cushion as well.

Didn't read the whole thread, but I saw someone mention Merrell Barefoot Trail Gloves, those are the shoes I play in and I love them. They suck when it is wet/snowy and cold. Otherwise they have been excellent. A whole weekend on natural/dirt tee pads at Collegiate Nationals and nno slippage what so ever.

shouldn't they be called Vibram Five Toes since they go on your feet?
if they were gloves then they can be called Five fingers, right?
Just sayin'

I dig mine. Makes a feller more aware of the area. Sure glass and sticks cause a little discomfort but hey its ok always forward.

I got introuble wearing them to work. My principal said they were "unprofessional". I am one of 3 the people who wear them, but I did not rat out the others.
Many of the top runners of winter mill highschool in maryland wear vibrams, including the state record holder in the mile and 2 mile. So many girls wore them this year after she won states with them twice.
(Sorry not dg related)

I have had them for about a year. I love Vibram and steve dodge, but the shoes are really bad.

Flowers get stuck in the toes and you look like an idiot walking around with daisies in your feet.
The bottom got scraped up really bad on my first round by sharp rocks.
If you step in a pile of dog poo you can feel the warmth.
I tried them for soccer twice and both times I sprained my small toe when it came out of the toe holder.
I tried them for running and there is no support for distance running and they smell horrible. I wastold they are antimicrobial and washable, but after about 2 weeks of wear I had to wash them 3-4 times to get the funk out.

LOL and :gross:

May I ask why you thought they'd be suitable for soccer? Makes no sense to me to wear Five Fingers when most people are weating cleats. I mean, maybe if you're Cody Lundeen... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I coach soccer and twice i wore them to work and forgot my cleats and thought i could keep up with the kids in them. I am sure vibram does not recommend soccer while wearing them.

I'm more of a Dave Canterbury type when it comes to footwear... I like my hikers for DG.

Just cause their cheap doesn't mean they don't hold up or are uncomfortable. I have a pair of mid- height Nevados I bought for about $25 at Costco years ago.
They're comfy enough for me to wear for 16 hours a day and never think about my feet, and have held up to all kinds of abuse. The only reason I bought a pair of Gore-Tex Merrells was because of the resistance to wetness.

Latest posts