• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Ibex

Sounds like flukes to me. I have a very beat M Ibex (used for 3-4 years) and it is the straightest flier I have. Never seen a Ibex flip unless thrown with very bad form or in a strong L-R wind.

As for the Lace, it is extremely sensitive to wind so I only use it in a tailwind otherwise I switch to the O-Lace or Four20.. I generally use the Lace only on wide-open holes because of the amount of HS turn it has....needs some room to fade back left.

Sounds like flukes to me. I have a very beat M Ibex (used for 3-4 years) and it is the straightest flier I have. Never seen a Ibex flip unless thrown with very bad form or in a strong L-R wind.

As for the Lace, it is extremely sensitive to wind so I only use it in a tailwind otherwise I switch to the O-Lace or Four20.. I generally use the Lace only on wide-open holes because of the amount of HS turn it has....needs some room to fade back left.

I have a lighter Ibex that's very flippy... very beat-in. It's an older run, but my newer runs handle every bit of power I can put on them. My friend Jake just won an Ibex at the VBB, and he's a power thrower! He can throw that Ibex on an anny, and it'll fly 300' easy. Flies for days on an anny...

The lace is firm the Ibex is medium- it could be a problem with my technique I just started throwing out to 400 or so I fixed a lot of things. I was throwing Katana's and a Mamba like 275- I swear the lace is more understable than even a beat in Mamba- is that possible? This has to be a fluke disc because no way people would like it if it were flippier than a beat up Mamba lol. Then again I'm throwing it 120 ft. farther and my Mamba went in a lake so I can't compare those anymore.

When I started I'd flip the Lace very easy... also, I'd throw the Ibex into hazards because I'd anhyzer it so much. Keep working on your form. It'll come with time. Think about your scores, not your distance.

I've found the Ibex pretty similar to the Buzzz - very good all purpose mid.

Yea I'm gonna keep throwing them and see how things go I was literally throwing a Katana for every shot over 200 up until like a month ago. Maybe I just need to get used to throwing a mid range disc.

Yea I'm gonna keep throwing them and see how things go I was literally throwing a Katana for every shot over 200 up until like a month ago. Maybe I just need to get used to throwing a mid range disc.

Ibex is good when thrown backhand. It is very forgiving, in that it'll go on the line that you put it in, whether it be a hyzer-angle or anhyzer-angle... great disc backhand!

Witnessed someone's first ace ever the other day at the Vibram Birdie Bash I was TDing. Over 250' hole slightly downhill, perfectly straight-line to the basket with a little fade. Hit chains, dead center... stuck there for one second perfectly parallel to the ground, and then dropped into the basket. Highlight of the summer so far, disc golf-wise... Vibram hits chains and sticks, so that's a testament to Vibram Disc Golf.

Does/would an Ibex beat into something similar to a Comet? I see them both on inbounds and I think it looks possible, but I'd like to know first hand from guys that bag them. I want something for hyzer-flip into turnovers like driving my Summit but longer. Is that a realistic expectation for a lightly seasoned Ibex or is more of a line holder?

Last edited:
I haven't spent enough time to tell you how they'll season, but they're more line holder than midrange Summit.

Does/would an Ibex beat into something similar to a Comet? I see them both on inbounds and I think it looks possible, but I'd like to know first hand from guys that bag them. I want something for hyzer-flip into turnovers like driving my Summit but longer. Is that a realistic expectation for a lightly seasoned Ibex or is more of a line holder?
I wouldn't think so. I've had my "flippy" medium Ibex for around two years, and it'll hyzer-flip to straight or have a gentle turn on a flat throw, but not hyzer-flip to a turnover. That's at around 250-260ft distance for me. A lightly seasoned one probably isn't going to do anything but go straight for a long while. Definitely more of a line-shaper.

And, yeah, everything gets beat into understable given enough time! The nice thing about Vibram is you can do the boiling water trick and you've just reset the stability!

After 20 years using a Shark as my primary mid-range, I picked up an Ibex to try. It flies much like a beat in Shark, which is what I was hoping for. It's a bit faster and so far hasn't shown an inclination to stand up and roll after a rough landing.

I've always struggled with mids, a grip and power thing. I can throw my Wraiths consistently 300-325' on a stand still but can never seem to be consistent with a mid. I've been trying a Zombee as a mid and it works pretty good, however I'm still in the learning curve as far as the power level to give it which is frustrating. I found a 170F Ibex on the course yesterday with no name or number and gave it a few tosses in the field after I finished my round and it flew really nice. I had a 170M Ibex I threw for the longest time but it had the worst camo type pattern and I eventually lost it. Tried to replace it with a 176 which is more of a normal weight for me in the mid department and it just never flew the same.

What weights are you guys throwing and what do you find works best for you?

Side note, the wind blowing pretty good in my neck of the woods yesterday and into the wind I figured it would flip being so light but it just popped up ran flat with a slight turn right and coated right to the ground. Just really forgot how easy it the Ibex was to throw.

My Ibexes have always been in the 173-175g range. They're one of those sneaky long midranges, that's for sure. It's a "do it all" stable disc, IMO.

My Ibexes have always been in the 173-175g range. They're one of those sneaky long midranges, that's for sure. It's a "do it all" stable disc, IMO.

That's the disc I've been struggling to find, for backhand anyway. Nothing will ever replace a max weight Z Buzzz for my sidearm mid but I need a mid I can be that confident with on a BH. I've been up and down with my play and scores now for a long time and I'm retooling my bag with an emphasis on what I throw well and less on how many discs and molds I'm carrying. I've always been a minimalist when it comes to discs because I have bad knees and carrying 20 discs around just wasn't an option but I switched to the Lat64 backpack bag and have found I can load that thing up with plastic and not feel the weight in my knees at all, even on hilly courses. It's given me the chance to lock down my driver side of the bag but the workhorse mid still evades me.

But that Ibex flew just like how I remember my old one flying. Again, standing still into the wind and that thing was going every bit of 280-300'. Going back with the tailwind and that thing flew all day, a little anhy and some height to counteract the added stability and it bombed, nice slow and smooth flight.

I would say not. I'd asses the differences as follows:

1) Vibram's rubber compound really seems pretty durable in terms of maintaining original flight cahracteristics. I've been throwing mine for about a year and a half as my "go to mid," and it's nailed quite a few trees. It beat in, but only to point, and I don't think that point is all that different from it's original flight). Any way you slice it, still not as much turn as a slightly beat X-Comet.

2) While the Ibex goes pretty far, it just ain't got the gliiide a Comet does.

3) The Ibex isn't as OAT sensitive as the Comet.

I don't think any of these are inherenty better or worse. The two overlap quite a bit, but I'd say these are the key differences between them.

Just my $0.02 worth :|

Last edited:
For a few years now I've been throwing Vibrams discs, but was not throwing an Ibex. This past summer I decided to try one out before the Worlds Birdie Bash, just to get the hang of it, because it was going to be one of the discs you got to use during the tournament.
Well, I found I liked the Ibex very much. It wasn't quite the turnover flick disc I was accustomed to with my Wolf, but it was workable. After a few weeks of using it, I actually bumped into an Ace with my Ibex, literally. The disc bumped off three trees before landing in the basket.
Since then I've really begun to appreciate how effortless the Ibex is to throw. It only takes a flick of the wrist (sidearm, as if) and the Ibex is floating towards the basket.

Necro bump.
Anyone still throw these?
I have a 167 M I throw a few times a year. The Ibex fits my hand like a glove.
As the weather gets cooler up north, love the grip.

I miss the wild rubber patterns of Vibram: some of there more fun discs to watch fly.

Necro bump.
Anyone still throw these?
I have a 167 M I throw a few times a year. The Ibex fits my hand like a glove.
As the weather gets cooler up north, love the grip.

I miss the wild rubber patterns of Vibram: some of there more fun discs to watch fly.
yep. have a small stack that will last forever; they don't change. like my mids max weight, so mine are 175-180g. have a maple hill open stamped red white & blue speckled beauty (164g) on the wall.
i guess i would pick up another @40$ if they do another run. psst, hey vibram *nudge. maybe they will when someone buys the last of these lightweight ones: VDG IBEX Mid-Range