• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Is Done

I'll have you know that I was and still am fully committed to Vibram. Just look at my signature line.

Same here. Bag is all rubber except for a Harp, Trident and Mace. Just can't bring myself to abandon those money makers at all.:\

They were marked down at the store so I bought a Notch, VP, and an Ibex. :\

And what's your thoughts?

I've had the VP and Ibex before, wanted them to round out a small Vibram bag. Got 2 VPs now actually, one light and now one heavy. Great solidly OS putter. Ibex I got to beat into US for pairing with Obex. The Notch is new to me, extremely OS. I was hoping for Ascent replacement and got a FAF Rubber fire chicken instead. Guess I'll be on the lookout for an Arch.

I've had the VP and Ibex before, wanted them to round out a small Vibram bag. Got 2 VPs now actually, one light and now one heavy. Great solidly OS putter. Ibex I got to beat into US for pairing with Obex. The Notch is new to me, extremely OS. I was hoping for Ascent replacement and got a FAF Rubber fire chicken instead. Guess I'll be on the lookout for an Arch.

The lighter weight vp have comparable stability to the heavy? More glide, hss?

I have a 174 and a 158 VP. The 158 is a lot less stable. Glide is not a word I use in association with the VP. Bought the 158 cheap in the going out of business sale, but I'm not seeing that I'm going to have much use for it. The VP just seems to do it's intended thing better in the heavier weight.

Also bought a light (156) Arch, and it's a keeper. Good distance, mildly overstable and reliable.

Last edited:
The lighter weight vp have comparable stability to the heavy? More glide, hss?

My lighter one is 168g and my new one is 170 lol so no, not much difference. I couldn't remember what weight my 168 one was, just knew it was 160 something and saw a heavier VP available and snagged it. :rolleyes:

The worst part was all the stickers I had to peel off of them. I wonder if the sticker warning Californians that the discs contain a substance that might be carcinogenic was part of the reason for Vibram's demise? If I were Johnny Chucker and faced with the slightly costlier Vibram disc with the Surgeon General's warning vs the shiny plastic disc that's a little cheaper I'd probably pick the latter more often than not.

An important point being glossed over here, and something we can all agree on, is that Vibram's boot print coaster minis are the shiznit.

And as mentioned earlier we do seem to be at a saturation point with manufacturers. How many new outfits have crawled out of the ooze only to release one, two, or zero discs, then vanish? Vibram is simply the first "big" manufacturer with a full line of discs to do so. Probably not objectively good or bad for our game, just another company getting out of the way if they cannot lead and do not want to follow.

Probably not objectively good or bad for our game, just another company getting out of the way if they cannot lead and do not want to follow.

Seems to be true for disc production these days. It's a shame. Their style was iconic until they changed to solid colors.

I hope Vibram is not done in disc golf. It would be great to see them create a unique disc golf shoe and other accessories for the game.

Last edited:
Seems to be true for disc production these days. It's a shame. Their style was iconic until they changed to solid colors.

I hope Vibram is not done in disc golf. It would be great to see them create a unique disc golf shoe and other accessories for the game.

I'm not holding my breath. With Steve Dodge gone, there's nobody driving their business in that direction IMO

And as mentioned earlier we do seem to be at a saturation point with manufacturers. How many new outfits have crawled out of the ooze only to release one, two, or zero discs, then vanish? Vibram is simply the first "big" manufacturer with a full line of discs to do so. Probably not objectively good or bad for our game, just another company getting out of the way if they cannot lead and do not want to follow.

True, but Vibram was different from the others. With all of the other smaller manufacturers, they are basically selling the same things that were already on the market, with tweaks in design (or marketing). Nothing revolutionary. Vibram, at least, was offering something that stood out as different.

I actually preferred to bag the solid colors, way easier to find than granite or chunks that were effectively dull camouflage. They started out with solid colors anyway. Their "plastic" is what really made them iconic.

True, but Vibram was different from the others. With all of the other smaller manufacturers, they are basically selling the same things that were already on the market, with tweaks in design (or marketing). Nothing revolutionary. Vibram, at least, was offering something that stood out as different.

Yes the shape of the discs were like the rest but the material was different from the rest, so unique, a petroleum based rubber product.

Now the brand is also trying to stop making shoes for people to use, the Vibram five fingers due to the lawsuit they had a few years ago, even as people keep requesting they keep making the shoes once the current stock in a model runs out. :\

The brand Vibram about the time they came out with the first five fingered models, something the brand is also trying to shut down now, they had partnered with another company to make a hybrid sandal shoe with full toe that was the first true disc golf shoe, it was marketed as that in mid 2007 or so. Now Would Vibram no. The brand is trying to be a company that makes soles only for other brands and would not even help another company even design a shoe even a traditional shoe with a vibram sole for fear of getting butts sued off like they had with the Five Finger lawsuit a few years ago. They want to stop making the shoes they make even though they have models are popular and marketed for minimal footwear sports like Yoga and dance. :\

Five Fingers or Crocs? It's a toss up which is the worst shoe ever made.

I just looked up Crocs. Apparently they have sold more than 300 million pairs of shoes, and have had to suffer many other companies selling knockoffs of their shoes. I would love to have been the owner of this worst shoe brand.

I can remember owning some pretty bad shoes when I was a kid. Ones that rubbed my achilles raw. Ones that were shaped nothing like my foot, especially around the forefoot. Ones that would start coming apart soon after getting home.

Making good footwear has always been a challenge for mankind. We could fill museums with all the lousy stuff that has been produced. Your statement must be an exaggeration, or you don't know what a bad shoe really is.

The idea that there was a law suit against Vibram over the five fingers shoe is asinine. There is prior art for them. The system is broken

Latest posts