• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Video Editing Software

Dan Ensor

Sophomore
I had to get a new computer. Previously, I had been using Movie Maker to edit my videos. For some reason it's been completely changed. What are you guys using? Is the new Movie Maker really just as good, I'm just not using it correctly? Can I get the previous version still, or is it incompatible with new Windows?

My needs are pretty basic. I want to be able to go through my video frame by frame, cut what I don't want, and mute the remainder.

First you'd have to have a phone with video capabilities . . . it might work on my pc, but who's the dev? I'm seeing something for $10, but I've done this for free for years. Not that I'm completely opposed to paying, but like I said, what I want is very basic.

I thought everyone today had a phone with decent video capabilities. I'm not sure what you mean with dev. However Splice is free, very cheap and quick to use. It was probably not what you were asking for, but it's definitely easy and basic to use.

I had to get a new computer. Previously, I had been using Movie Maker to edit my videos. For some reason it's been completely changed. What are you guys using? Is the new Movie Maker really just as good, I'm just not using it correctly? Can I get the previous version still, or is it incompatible with new Windows?

My needs are pretty basic. I want to be able to go through my video frame by frame, cut what I don't want, and mute the remainder.

What kind of machine and what operating system? I just use quick time on my mac. Very simple and straightforward, came with the OS.

ffmpeg - its what most other editors are based on but you have to write commands instead of clicking.

I thought everyone today had a phone with decent video capabilities. I'm not sure what you mean with dev. However Splice is free, very cheap and quick to use. It was probably not what you were asking for, but it's definitely easy and basic to use.

Yeah . . . I'm a relic lol. I don't think it's available for me. At least not in the app store.

It's odd. My Windows 10 PC came with Movie Maker on it, but my father in law's Windows 10 PC did not come with it. He is definitely not a fan of the new Movie Maker. Maybe because it's something different. I haven't messed around with it because I still have the original Movie Maker.

According to Microsoft, you can use the Photos app to edit videos. I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure how good it is.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054502/windows-10-movie-maker-is-no-longer-available-for-download

I had searched for the best free editing software recently (hadn't edited any videos in years) and one of the three easily most recommended was Davinci Resolve. I haven't used it much yet but it's everything I'll ever want or need and more.

It's odd. My Windows 10 PC came with Movie Maker on it, but my father in law's Windows 10 PC did not come with it. He is definitely not a fan of the new Movie Maker. Maybe because it's something different. I haven't messed around with it because I still have the original Movie Maker.

According to Microsoft, you can use the Photos app to edit videos. I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure how good it is.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054502/windows-10-movie-maker-is-no-longer-available-for-download

My laptop that I upgraded to Windows 10 had Movie Maker, but the one that came with 10 does not.

Photos is not going to cut it, unless I'm missing frame by frame features.

I did find a Splice app, but it's iOS only.

Movie maker can be downloaded fo free I believe and if all you're doing is cutting together clips it's more than adequate. I use it to edit my horrible form videos and make power hours.

Maybe the interface has changed, but I also use Movie Maker for my form videos, and it does everything you have listed.

Latest posts