• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Viper or Whippet and why?

JonRoc

Bogey Member
I recently picked up a viper from a trade on here and I love it. It is perfect on windy days for any hole 300' and under. Other than that I use my Firebird. I do not hear a lot of talk about the Viper though, everyone is always using whippets. I have never thrown a whippet and know they are similar discs (at least in ratings) and I am just wondering why?

Is it because Whippets come in different plastics, especially KC plastics?

The Viper is slower. They have similar if not the same sized rim, but the Viper has the same diameter as a Roc, 21.7 cm. The Whippet is a small-diameter driver. To me the Whippet was more overstable. I could throw a Viper and get a straight flight with some decent glide and a dependable hard fade at the end. The Whippet was more of a meathook that would fade pretty much out of my hand. Guys with bigger arms could rip them, though.

The Viper is slower. They have similar if not the same sized rim, but the Viper has the same diameter as a Roc, 21.7 cm. The Whippet is a small-diameter driver.

This.

Several years ago before the super wide wing drivers, the viper was rated at a speed 5 and fell in with the midranges, on innova's website that is. IMO this was a better place for it. It now sits with their fairways where it is the only larger diameter disc.

I love the Viper. I have several in different stages of wear. The Whippet is also a Ken Climo disc while the Viper isn't. That might be part of the reason.

The Viper is my midrange and sometimes fairway driver.

I use whippets more than any other disc. Most of it is because tehre are a lot of short courses around here. You can push them out pretty far if you need to, but they are great for a short controlled hyzer or I use them for skip shots a lot. Also, whippets are the best thumber disc there is. They have a nice slow turn allowing them to glide further than just about any other disc. Also, you can get whippets in the champ glow plastic which will last FOREVER. The plastic they come in is just about indestructible.

That is what I figured, last time I went out and played I knew my Viper wouldn't last but about a year. I really like it though, it is easily controllable but I think I will pick a whippet up too.

From what I have observed it is very debatable on whether or not the Viper should be midrange or Fairway. I think it is definitely faster than a 5 speed disc but it may be just because overstable discs typically require more power. I would classify it as a 6 from the times I have thrown it.

The Whippet is definitely a touch more overstable than a Viper. Evn in DX they're very dense and durable. When you finally do beat it up a bit it makes a great forehand roller. A Viper has a little more glide and is a bit slower. Which one I use depends on how much fade the shot requires.

Whippet, but only because I don't really care for large diameter discs. Well, not the only reason. The Whippet also feels better in my hand and I find I can get better "D" with it. I've only thrown the Champ Whippet, so I can't speak for the other plastics, but it is one of the most overstable discs I've thrown. So much so, they are pretty much just around as collector discs. My Z Drone is plenty overstable enough for me.
One may be more stable than the other, but really, at there level of stability. It will come down to which style of disc you like.

I'll continue the theme of large vs. small diameter. Really like the Star Whippets I picked up because they're hella overstable and will stay that way for a long time. Vipers I've only ever seen in DX. Booter mentions a Champ version, but I've never seen one available near me. I started with the Whippet and won't back now. They're available in CFR glow, too, which means there will be higher quality replacements out there longer.

I had a DX Viper that just got too beat-in and lost it's "meat-hookness". I lost it and didnt give a rats ___ about it.

I have a KC Pro Whippet signed by KC that just hangs on my wall. I should have bought one to throw as well.

The Viper was the ubiquitous driver of the 90's. Everybody threw a Viper. In my shop the only discs that outsold the Viper were the Aviar, Magnet and Roc.

Of course those were DX Vipers. I've never felt the urge to throw a Champ Viper, but I can imagine it's a meathook.

There was a 7X KC Viper and the Millennium Tachyon LF was pretty Viper-ish, so I've thrown a Pro Viper. They were pretty nice and stable. The Tachyon LF 4.1 was a monster. Those were as overstable as a Ram.

The Whippet was a very slow selling disc for me. Almost nobody threw one. They were too overstable for most players. It was arguably the first small-diameter driver, and it really wasn't until the end of the 90's with the Eagle and TeeBird that the small-diameter drivers took over the market and pushed discs like the Viper aside.

Now I see guys with Champ Whippets from time to time, but I almost never see anybody throw a Viper. The last time I saw somebody throw a Viper a kid was throwing one LHBH off the red tee of # 5 at Ber Juan and it hooked so hard on him he almost hit me as I was putting on # 4. Here is a link for you to appreciate the awesomeness: Ber Juan Course Map.

Latest posts