• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Virginia DG Road Trips

If traveling to Blockhouse, I would also recommend Loriella Park and, if you can get in touch with John Biscoe, Hawk Hollow. Hawk Hollow, in my opinion, is as good as it gets when it comes to disc golf. Hole one is ~430 ft straight down a hill with a stream 20 ft past the pin. Takes balls to be aggressive there, and if you don't execute, you will pay.

Played 2 rounds at Walnut Creek with jrawk & prerube. It was a fun course and had a great time.

I have never had a DG course kick my butt before until this one. The climb up the hill from 16 to 17 was like a Disc Golf death march. It was worth it for the very high elevated tee pad.

Then the slow walk down the hill from the tee pad.

To top it off another climb up a fairly steep hill to get to tee pad for 18.

I knew I wasn't in the best of shape yet but I made it through 2 rounds in a few hours. I paid for it later that night. I had to put ice packs on my knees & ankles for about 3 hours that evening.

I want to thank jrawk & prerube for putting up with my panting, wheezing and complaining (not too much I hope) about how worn out I was getting during the second round. I really didn't think I would be able to finish that second round but I toughed it out.

They probably thought I was going to have a heart attack on the course.

Darnstown Swim & Racquet Club

Walnut Creek, a most excellent course. :thmbup:

It's not in VA, but I am. I was planning a trip north to check out this Darnstown joint on Thursday morning (7/21). http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3204
It will be hot but should play mostly under the canopy. That and an early start should keep it human.

The climb up the hill from 16 to 17 was like a Disc Golf death march.

You know that's right.

Golden hills in Blacksburg is the only course I played that beat me worse than that .... The ups and downs on that course are awesomely ridiculous......... =-)

Played 2 rounds at Walnut Creek with jrawk & prerube. It was a fun course and had a great time.

I have never had a DG course kick my butt before until this one. The climb up the hill from 16 to 17 was like a Disc Golf death march. It was worth it for the very high elevated tee pad.

Then the slow walk down the hill from the tee pad.

To top it off another climb up a fairly steep hill to get to tee pad for 18.

I knew I wasn't in the best of shape yet but I made it through 2 rounds in a few hours. I paid for it later that night. I had to put ice packs on my knees & ankles for about 3 hours that evening.

I want to thank jrawk & prerube for putting up with my panting, wheezing and complaining (not too much I hope) about how worn out I was getting during the second round. I really didn't think I would be able to finish that second round but I toughed it out.

They probably thought I was going to have a heart attack on the course.

I know CPR. your discs are so inked up that I would not want them, so I would have saved you :p

Walnut was physically demanding, you will need to prepare because that is what the midatlantic meet at hawk hallow will feel like.

^hahahahahahahahahaha

Did you guys play hole #2 from the blues? Crazy.... How much was it tp play? I've never played it in the summer when they charge.......jerry

we got there before they charged. I think we stuck to mostly whites, occasionally veering off to blues in the second round, just to get a new look.

I played a speed round at that course last month with my Mahal on my back. It was 99 that day. I didn't plan on running, but a customer moved up a dinner appointment and I was definitely going to finish a round. I ran pretty hard up to hole #10. At that point I was drenched in sweat, and had no more sprinting in me. I half ran, half walked the final 8 holes. I then proceeded to waste all that exercise by downing about 15 beers that night. I jogged up the hill on the back nine, but there was no way I was sprinting up there at that point. Nice course though. Next time I'm walking it, and enjoying the scenery.

^hahahahahahahahahaha

Did you guys play hole #2 from the blues? Crazy.... How much was it tp play? I've never played it in the summer when they charge.......jerry

If you enter the park before the swimming beach is opened there is no charge. 11 am was the time the parked charged you to enter. They also only charge during the summer season to pay for the life guards when the beach area is open.

I know CPR. your discs are so inked up that I would not want them, so I would have saved you :p

Walnut was physically demanding, you will need to prepare because that is what the midatlantic meet at hawk hallow will feel like.

hawk hollow (with 2 O's) is five times the workout walnut creek is...;)

Hey biscoe, not knocking the hole, but if it's the one I'm thinking it is it's pretty tough from the blues and then opens out so that two different water hazzards come into play. I guess if I was better, it wouldn't be "crazy". lol I haven't had the opportunity to play Hawk Hollow, maybe later this year. Is it worse than Golden Hills in Blacksburg?

18 at walnut is the only one i can think of with water in play twice... 2 from the longer tee plays maybe 220 to cross the inlet...

hawk hollow is no steeper than golden hills per foot but is way longer, i'd call that one a wash...

The creek plays across the front of the hole (down the hill) and the lake plays to the left as it wraps around after the hole clears up with the basket hard to the right. Am I thinking about the right hole?

oops forgot to mention i swung out to lynchburg last weekend and then back thru richmond