• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Visiting Idlewild in October- course suggestions

Tripper

Double Eagle Member
My buddies and I are going to play Idlewild on Sat 22 October. We are driving up from Raleigh, NC Thursday night. The tentative plan is to drive to Huntington, WV thursday night, get up Friday and play Rotary Park and Indian Rock then drive to Independence, KY for Lincoln Ridge. Sat I am thinking Cedar Sentinels just to get state #13 then Idlewild. Sunday I want to play Mt. Airy Forest in the morning before heading home.

Are there any locals that can suggest good alternate courses that are "must play"?

Another vote for Osage Grove -- it's a big-time local favorite. If you like your golf a bit on the open side, Dunham Rec Center plays on an old ball golf course but has a higher fun factor than many of those courses.

You might want to play Osage Grove on your way into town on Friday. It's on the northeast side of Greater Cincinnati and kind of out by itself. Jay Dub's right in that it's a must play. That means you come in on either 32 or 50 via 52 though. Not sure if you're taking 64 over to 75 or what? That would leave you with Lincoln Ridge, Idlewild, and (if you still have the energy) Cedar semi close to each other to keep your driving time down. Then you could play Airy Sunday morning and hit the road after that.

You might want to play Osage Grove on your way into town on Friday. It's on the northeast side of Greater Cincinnati and kind of out by itself. Jay Dub's right in that it's a must play. That means you come in on either 32 or 50 via 52 though. Not sure if you're taking 64 over to 75 or what? That would leave you with Lincoln Ridge, Idlewild, and (if you still have the energy) Cedar semi close to each other to keep your driving time down. Then you could play Airy Sunday morning and hit the road after that.

Looks like I will take 52 from WV. Okay I making notes of all this information. Thinking we'll skip Indian Rock in favor of Osage Grove. It gets us to the vicinity of the final destination earlier in the day. Thanks

Another vote for Osage Grove -- it's a big-time local favorite. If you like your golf a bit on the open side, Dunham Rec Center plays on an old ball golf course but has a higher fun factor than many of those courses.

Thanks, being from North Carolina I would not know what to do on an open course (kidding we have 2). When we travel we usually try to find courses to challenge our shot shaping. I will add this to the list of courses to look at with my buddies.

Are you planning on doing anything besides bagging courses? Breweries/restaurants/general party fun? You should have no trouble finding a hotel in that general area. It's a pretty suburban area though.

I would play Idlewild first, and then see how you're feeling. Cedar Sentinels is not a difficult or demanding course, but I would still recommend Idlewild while fresh and rested.

Another vote for Goshen, dunham is fun but not something i would recommed to a out of towner. And i would back up others that say play idle first it is a long course you will want to be rested.

I would play Idlewild first, and then see how you're feeling. Cedar Sentinels is not a difficult or demanding course, but I would still recommend Idlewild while fresh and rested.

Suggestion noted. That's what we did when we went to Harmon Hills. HH, then Mars Hill then Richmond Hills (Asheville, NC). It was a brutal day finishing at Richmond even though it is shorter than HH due to significant elevation.
Do either have a lot of elevation?

Another vote for Goshen, dunham is fun but not something i would recommed to a out of towner. And i would back up others that say play idle first it is a long course you will want to be rested.

I usually don't mind the long ones after a warm up. A few weeks ago I played Trap Pond in DE in the morning and Iron Hill gold to gold in the afternoon and had an awesome round. I will run it past the boys to see if they are bringing their big boy britches. Thanks for the heads up.

Would you still recommend Idlewild first if we are groggy and hungover instead of fresh and rested?

Suggestion noted. That's what we did when we went to Harmon Hills. HH, then Mars Hill then Richmond Hills (Asheville, NC). It was a brutal day finishing at Richmond even though it is shorter than HH due to significant elevation.
Do either have a lot of elevation?
Yes they do but you're from NC so you should be use to it.
Would you still recommend Idlewild first if we are groggy and hungover instead of fresh and rested?
lol do this at your own risk, I wouldn't suggest it but I'm old. :)

Yes they do but you're from NC so you should be use to it.

lol do this at your own risk, I wouldn't suggest it but I'm old. :)

Luckily, I am old too (46) so I usually fall asleep well before drinking enough to be hung over. The down side is I wake up at 5 AM and have to wait for the boys to get their beauty rest. I have noticed that bringing hot coffee back at 6 wakes them up. :thmbup:

Latest posts