• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Visiting Idlewild in October- course suggestions

Would you still recommend Idlewild first if we are groggy and hungover instead of fresh and rested?

Idlewild will be a great way to work the toxins out of your system. :D

As far as elevation goes, the big 4 are all pretty hilly. If I had to rate the hilliness from most to least. Lincoln Ridge, Idlewild, Mt. Airy, then Osage in a distant 4th.

Breweries galore in this city now, a far cry better than it was just 5 years ago. Hard to even keep up with all the openings. Here's a good list, though I know I'm missing a few.

Ohio:
Taft Ale House
50 West
Blank Slate
Rivertown
Mt. Carmel
Madtree
Rhinegeist
Urban Artifact
Bad Tom
Listerman/Triple Digit

Kentucky:
Braxton
Hofbrauhaus
Darkness
Ei8ht Ball

Idlewild will be a great way to work the toxins out of your system. :D

As far as elevation goes, the big 4 are all pretty hilly. If I had to rate the hilliness from most to least. Lincoln Ridge, Idlewild, Mt. Airy, then Osage in a distant 4th.

Breweries galore in this city now, a far cry better than it was just 5 years ago. Hard to even keep up with all the openings. Here's a good list, though I know I'm missing a few.

Ohio:
Taft Ale House
50 West
Blank Slate
Rivertown
Mt. Carmel
Madtree
Rhinegeist
Urban Artifact
Bad Tom
Listerman/Triple Digit

Kentucky:
Braxton
Hofbrauhaus
Darkness
Ei8ht Ball[/QUOTE

Wow! That is a lot of options. We better not have a beer at each or we might not make Idlewild at all.

Coming to Idelwild in 10 days

Sorry Tripper but busting onto your thread but...

I'm going to be hustling through Cincinnati on the weekend of August 12TH AND 13TH. My plan is to play Mt. Airy Forest on Friday night and Idelwild early Saturday morning before heading on to Charleston, WV.

It there anyone out there in Disc Golf land who would like to guide me through either of these two courses. I'm trying to erase my slacker reputation of only playing easy 9's after hitting about 50 of Chicago's easiest!

I'm going to be hustling through Cincinnati on the weekend of August 12TH AND 13TH. My plan is to play Mt. Airy Forest on Friday night and Idelwild early Saturday morning before heading on to Charleston, WV.

It there anyone out there in Disc Golf land who would like to guide me through either of these two courses. I'm trying to erase my slacker reputation of only playing easy 9's after hitting about 50 of Chicago's easiest!

No worries V Kid. Are you playing in Charleston? If so where?

If you are going to Huntington, WV, Rotary is a nice course as is Indian Rock, but you also have the options of Johnny Sias's private courses (Lucky 8 and Crazy 8) as well as the courses in Ashland, KY.

If you are going to Huntington, WV, Rotary is a nice course as is Indian Rock, but you also have the options of Johnny Sias's private courses (Lucky 8 and Crazy 8) as well as the courses in Ashland, KY.

Not going to Huntington for anything but a place to stop thursday night. Found Rotary and Indian right off the highway so they seem convenient. Are the 8's worth driving a little farther and how does Johnny feel about DG bums showing up at 8 am to play? We are not loud (unless someone gets an ace), but don't want to disturb anyone that may be a light sleeper. Since we are going to play Mt Airy after we have to get going early. Thanks.

No intention of threadjacking here, Tripper, but the KID coming to town? I'd be honored to join ya 8/13 at Idlewild, even though that course beats me up. Both you guys: contact Adam, Jason, or Shawn Marsh (Old Bassman) as you head to the Nati at Mt Airy & they'll give you a warm welcome. :thmbup:

No matter what, do not miss Lincoln Ridge. I preferred it over Idlewild, without a doubt.

Can't wait to get back down there and play again.

Lincoln Ridge is a must and it's close to Idlewild. As I've said before, Idlewild is a beat down while Lincoln is more fun. I've done both in the same day but probably not again (I'm old too, over 50). If you head to the east side (Osage), I highly suggest 50W brewery, their Punch You in the Eye IPA is world class worthy!

^^^

50W is probably my favorite too. Darn good grub and some stellar beers. Punch you in the IPA is great but I'm partial to Trees of Tahoe.

No worries V Kid. Are you playing in Charleston? If so where?

I am driving coming through Charleston . If I'm still able to walk, my plan is to play Little Creek on the evening of the 13th. I think it's close to my cheap hotel.

No intention of threadjacking here, Tripper, but the KID coming to town? I'd be honored to join ya 8/13 at Idlewild, even though that course beats me up. Both you guys: contact Adam, Jason, or Shawn Marsh (Old Bassman) as you head to the Nati at Mt Airy & they'll give you a warm welcome. :thmbup:

Sisyphus-why don't you send me a PM and we'll exchange numbers. I know Idelwild is going to kick my tired old ass but I can't drive by without hitting it.

And my plan is to spend two days playing the 6-7 courses in the Roanoke area. Any Roanoke area players want to join me?

And my plan is to spend two days playing the 6-7 courses in the Roanoke area. Any Roanoke area players want to join me?

If you are going to be in Roanoke, you must play Mountain Lake DGC in Pembroke. Absolutely breathtaking! really fun course with lots of elevation, open holes, wooded holes & holes that are both. Plays on an old ball golf course. The good news/bad news is, they don't let us drive up the "mountain road" anymore and park by the first tee. Now you have to park at the gate and walk about a mile to get to hole 1, that's the bad news. The good news is that you are likely to have the place to yourself.
I've been there 3 times and never get tired of chucking a water disc off the top of the mountain at hole 15. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=6420&p=2b5ce455
You can watch your disc fly at least half a mile.
My first visit, we arrived about 8:30 am with a thick cloud surrounding us. That was the best day of disc golf ever. It was so magical that we drove 5.5 hours the next weekend just to play the course again.

You might want to be careful playing Idlewild. Based on its most recent review, the course isn't that good because it's too tough. Might not want to drive that far for a 3.0 rated course.

Lincoln Ridge is a must and it's close to Idlewild. As I've said before, Idlewild is a beat down while Lincoln is more fun. I've done both in the same day but probably not again (I'm old too, over 50). If you head to the east side (Osage), I highly suggest 50W brewery, their Punch You in the Eye IPA is world class worthy!

I'd play Lincoln Ridge over Mt. Airy, personally. I'd play Osage over Airy, as well. Your results may vary.

yes. you'll be awake enough after hole #1. :D

It is true. I was groggy and hungover at Idlewild at about 8am, and my first drive did not go well.

Airy is not my favorite course in the area, but I feel like the amenities and history keep it in the talks. It is a solid course, don't get me wrong. It just isn't #3 in the area anymore without the extras.

You might want to be careful playing Idlewild. Based on its most recent review, the course isn't that good because it's too tough. Might not want to drive that far for a 3.0 rated course.

I am never one to shy away from a tough course. Based on what the last review says it sounds like an average course for NC. My good buddy from Wisconsin comes to visit a couple of times a year so he can tune up his "woods game". I will be interested to compare Idlewild to the "very wooded" courses in my area. Thanks for the heads up though.

Latest posts