• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Vulture Driver

Can anyone compare the Banzai to the Vulture? Are they similar? I've heard some conflicting reports.

I ask because I really like the Banzai flight but would like to have more plastic options and availability.

Bump

Can anyone compare the Banzai to the Vulture? Are they similar? I've heard some conflicting reports.

I ask because I really like the Banzai flight but would like to have more plastic options and availability.

Never thrown a Banzai. Shop has one in the used bin. Rim measured ~.710", or same as the Undertaker/Tracker. Vultures come in around .735", same as Predator/Raptor. Doesn't say much except a Banzai theoretically isn't as "fast" and may be more likely to have more turn and/or less fade.

Bump

The Banzai feels slower with a harder finish than a Culture (comparing Proline to ESP). You might get a more similar flight out of some of the more stable plastics for the Vulture like BigZ or that run of Cryztal that's supposed to be nice and beefy

Never thrown a Banzai. Shop has one in the used bin. Rim measured ~.710", or same as the Undertaker/Tracker. Vultures come in around .735", same as Predator/Raptor. Doesn't say much except a Banzai theoretically isn't as "fast" and may be more likely to have more turn and/or less fade.

Actually, this helps. Thanks!

The Banzai feels slower with a harder finish than a Culture (comparing Proline to ESP). You might get a more similar flight out of some of the more stable plastics for the Vulture like BigZ or that run of Cryztal that's supposed to be nice and beefy

The Banzai that I have thrown was getting good distance before it faded out. An underrated fairway for sure.

I have never thrown a Vulture but the Banzai is very MOLF like in its flight. A little harder fade, but later. It's got plenty of fade

So the Banzai is more like an OS Undertaker than a Vulture? I really like the Vulture but sometimes i feel that its so close to the Undertaker that i dont need both in the bag

How does the Vulture compare to the Orion lf?

So I used both Vultures and Orion LF's. If I had to choose which I like better. It would be the Orion LF - I feel the Vulture is like a slightly faster Thunderbird and the Orion more like an Orc. Where there is some play in the high speed stability (it has a -1 turn) but it has a fade of 3. Comparing ESP Vulture to Sirius (or star plastic) Orion LF - OLF has hyzer-flip ability but will have a solid fade, if flipping up an ESP Vulture they seem to hold straighter longer with a gradual but more mellow fade. Quantum plastic (or champion) OLFs are NICE, they are definitely more OS in general. Comparing that to a Z Vulture. I think the QOLF will have a more driver fade in the end. I'd rate them Vulture: 10/5/0/2 and OLF 9/5/-1/3 - OLF's are great for cycling in Sirius or Millenium Standard (or pro) plastic. OLF's that work in are the BEST hyzerflip control drivers I've used. I can hit really nice reliable lines with it. I like the feel of the Orions better. Both really nice discs. Slightly different in flight, but hand-feel I still like Orions.

Has anyone thrown the new stamp production Z Vultures? Just seeing if they would still be the flippiest. I've got an ESP and a Cryztal (it has a freaking puddle top), and was wondering the new Z would fall. Also, a good rundown of stabilites on these would be helpful, I'm understanding that Big Z is the most OS and Titanium is the flippiest?

Trying to phase the Zeuses/Nukes out of the bag in favor of some slower stuff so I can have a bit more control. I'm very happy with my undertakers (and sting), trying to fill the OS half of that 9-10 speed range.

I'm hoping the Big Z is really OS, it seems like it would be a great forehand workhorse driver if it is.

Has anyone thrown the new stamp production Z Vultures? Just seeing if they would still be the flippiest. I've got an ESP and a Cryztal (it has a freaking puddle top), and was wondering the new Z would fall. Also, a good rundown of stabilites on these would be helpful, I'm understanding that Big Z is the most OS and Titanium is the flippiest

FR Z is the flippiest for sure
TI is dumpy and glideless imo
Big Z is in the sweet spot. It is OS but workable
USADGC Z Sparkle Glo is by far the beefiest i have thrown(hard to find)
Havent thrown a regular Z
ESP is glidey and mine were domey with a high shoulder...not great but not bad. Slight OS

I throw an Anax for the OS Vulture slot. I dont feel much of a difference between those 2. Easier to find instead of chasing a super beef Vulture.

Just picked up my CryZtal and FR Vulture

The CryZtal is super flat ( even puddle top ). . .and the FH very Domey. . is that the norm for Vultures in those plastics?

Just picked up my CryZtal and FR Vulture

The CryZtal is super flat ( even puddle top ). . .and the FH very Domey. . is that the norm for Vultures in those plastics?
FWIW, my first run was board flat

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I have/have had 3 FR Z Vultures that were all flat. All of them are/were neon green, if that matters.

I have 6 FR Z Vultures. All flat. These are great for long wooded straight shots. Paired with a Big Z and a Anax, it covers my long fairways.

My FR flew the same as a tour series Vulture..more stable than my Ti....I think I got an odd FR

Really liked the cryZtal but is was not as stable as I thought....but close to a Big-Z

I think I will bag a tour series and a CryZtal Vulture...and then a Proto Anax

I got my hands on an ESP Vulture in a store today & gotta say it felt right. I might take a chance & buy one soon enough but keep holding off because I have so many Thunderbirds. The Vulture seems like the one DC distance driver that I think could slide in my game.

I got my hands on an ESP Vulture in a store today & gotta say it felt right. I might take a chance & buy one soon enough but keep holding off because I have so many Thunderbirds. The Vulture seems like the one DC distance driver that I think could slide in my game.

The first vulture I fell in love with was my swirly glo AT esp one. Started out fairly over stable but has beat in to a nice straight flier, that can still fight out of a turn but finish straight. I just snagged a couple purple first runs, im hoping they will season into a notch below that disc, straight flier with a slightly under stable finish, good hyzer flip disc with a little turn. Can't wait to throw them.

Vulture

Got to toss my first Vulture around today. Disc is ESP 174g. Here are my thoughts:

I have no clue what run Vulture this is, but it has a normal stamp. The plastic is gorgeous swirled ESP. Very slightly gummy and grippy. Dome is average. I won't call it flat, but it isn't really domey either.

The disc itself flies true to the assigned numbers. This definitely seems to be Discraft's answer to the Thunderbird. They fly very similarly. The only real difference I noticed was that the Vulture has a slightly sharper and shallower rim than a Thunderbird (hence the speed 10 rating instead of 9). This is a driver that seems to fit between fairway and distance. It flies like a fairway driver, but is capable of fairly long shots if thrown hard.

The Vulture is a very straight flier. No high speed turn or S curve. The only way to really get an S curve with this disc is to force it over hard anny. The Vulture will actually hold a forced anny line pretty well and get nice distance. Thrown flat and hard I wasn't seeing any turn at all. Just a good flat flight followed by a moderate fade. Glide is good, but not exceptional. I didn't find the Vulture to be floaty.

Accuracy seems to be this disc's purpose. The Vulture has a good hand feel and is very easy to learn. I found I could dial it in pretty accurately to about 375'. Anything longer than that I would most likely reach for a faster disc. I had the Vulture out against a Raider, Crank, Halo, Katana, and DD2. The Vulture was consistently 20' or more behind all these other much faster drivers (as it should be).

Overall I really dug the Vulture. Discraft has put out a good product here. This disc has a good hand feel and compares very favorably to a Thunderbird. This is a perfect driver for 350-375' shots where accuracy is a must. The Vulture doesn't turn over and flies consistently throw after throw.

Vulture: 10, 5, 0, 2. These are the numbers printed on the disc, and I agree with them. Not really a disc for beginners. The Vulture needs to be thrown pretty hard to stay flat for any length of time. I figure 350' is the minimum power requirement to throw this thing adequately.

I also recently got an Anax. Next throwing session will be Vulture vs. Anax vs. Thunderbird. I'd like to get all these head to head and see what subtle differences may exist.

Latest posts