• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Warning: Do not play in the current heat wave!

A big thanks to our northeastern friends, including the OP, for sending the heatwave down south for us to try it out. 103 yesterday, 108 on the highway, down to 101 when we reached the first tee. Considered giving up a penalty stroke and throwing in the pond, for an excuse to go in after my disc. Ah, a great time to play disc golf.

Thermometer hits 98 in New York and they call it National News.
Thermometer hits 98 in South Carolina and they call it "summer".

Yeah well we knew it was coming...Themometer hits 20 in NY and they call it Spring.

lady at work said something bout heat wave n I was like I heard you shouldnt be outside playing disc or anything physical .... she had no idea what I was talking about

Migrant farm workers near me work in this everyday in 100+ degree weather and wear long sleeve shirts and pants. I think they're onto something....

I started wearing track pants this winter and have kept using them this summer and feel no hotter or cooler than when in shorts, but I don't get my legs all tore up and my socks full of foxtails, so they're here to stay. Mix in a liter or two of water and some sunscreen and you'll be just fine. Sure it's not ideal, but hot disc golf is better than no disc golf.

Last edited:
sweat my butt off and played bad, fun was still had

It's just what you get used to. I have friends from MN. who couldn't stand MO. for the heat and humidity, but would walk around in shirt sleeves through the winter.

I just finished a few days working with a Cajun from south LA. He sweated like a pig, and drank enough water to keep himself peeing. He didn't complain a bit about the heat and humidity. I've been to LA in the summer. That's hot and humid compared to MO.

I'm from south mississippi and down around new orleans. It really does get hot down here, but i will still work and play dg in it. Seeing people throw up and pass out is not uncommon but we still keep dealing with it. Just slow your pace and drink water.

Looks like I will be playing the super intense Iron Hill tomorrow. I hear it could get up to 110 with heat index.
Normally I would subject myself to this, but I am taking one of my athletes to a skills camp at the University of Deleware.

Looks like I will be playing the super intense Iron Hill tomorrow. I hear it could get up to 110 with heat index.
Normally I would subject myself to this, but I am taking one of my athletes to a skills camp at the University of Deleware.

Ahhh, some good old Delaware disc golf. Might see you up there after a DDG tag round at Lums.

I will be there from 10:30-12:30 most likely, Maybe over to New Jersey for 9 afterwards. I have to stay in the area until 2:00 to pick up my athletes from camp (2 going now).

I though that I would bring this thread back to life. We had a temperature of 102, dewpoint of 83 and a heat index of 128 in a town near where I live. That is a 55% humidity. % Humidity isn't the best way to tell how sticky it feels outside, the Dewpoint is the telling factor, above 60 is uncomfortable for a lot of people, above 70 is uncomfortable for almost everyone, above 80 is almost unheard of in nature in the U.S.

The heat is unreal, today was the first time I have ever walked off of a golf course without finishing the round. I imagine that places further south will have it even tougher since they are closer to the Gulf. The next 4-7 days will be miserable in the South, even if you think you are used to it.

A big thanks to our northeastern friends, including the OP, for sending the heatwave down south for us to try it out. 103 yesterday, 108 on the highway, down to 101 when we reached the first tee. Considered giving up a penalty stroke and throwing in the pond, for an excuse to go in after my disc. Ah, a great time to play disc golf.

Thermometer hits 98 in New York and they call it National News.
Thermometer hits 98 in South Carolina and they call it "summer".

it's gonna be 100 out here tomorrow in st. louis (probably 110 with the heat index) and i'm STILL gonna be out there playing.

pussies.

/sorry, just have no sympathy for people whining about above-85 degree temps :doh:
//man up and throw, just bring extra water!

8:15 in the evening and it is still 100°F outside, which is why I threw my round at 8:15 this morning.

Yep, I intend on teeing off before 11am tomorrow as it's supposed to be 110 indexed in Louisville.

We've been leaving at 8:30 AM to get a round of golf in by noon. If we play a second round in that heat we pick a course that's flat and has trees. (We have those options in this area) :p

Ditto. Work in a factory where the heat can easily surpass 120 degrees next to, and above ovens. Drink water, and don't push yourself. Saw someone at Acor Park in St. Paul get carried away by ambulance because of heat exhaustion. It was only 85 that day, so it doesn't have to be EXTREMELY hot to get too hot. Just drink lots of water and you'll be ok. If ya ain't peein' then ya ain't drinkin' enough.

The simplest formula for heat index, per wikipedia, is

HI = 1.9 * T * RH + 10

where

HI = heat index
T = temperature (degrees F)
RH = relative humidity (percent)

Wiki notes that this will yield an APPROXIMATE heat index and is not reliable for temperatures less than 80 degrees.

So sayeth the Interntez!!

Latest posts