• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weekend experience & DG Image

Image is all in the way you were raised and taught to think about those that are different from you. Some people think that just because you dress a certain way or speak a certain way that they are somehow superior than someone with a different way of dressing or speaking. Just because you look clean cut and can be very well spoken doesn't mean you're better than someone who is either less fortunate than you or less educated. It means that you lived a different life than that person. I have know some very educated people in my life and I have also known some very rich and fortunate people in my life. I've also known the polar opposite and to be honest they all have their faults. No one group is better than the other. Do you remember the movie American Psycho..catch my drift. Image is useless..it's what is inside that really matters. I never judge anyone based on image...let me see how you treat your friends, let me see how you treat your family, let me see how you treat strangers...then I'll judge you accordingly.

Knice-Z: Wait till your daughter gets to college.

That's what I'm saying man...you better install a GPS on her if you think a DG course is bad. :doh: I believe you and she are in for a wide awakening. Wait till she comes home from freshman year with different color hair and piercings she never had before....LOL.

Image is all in the way you were raised and taught to think about those that are different from you......

You're missing my point, or perhaps I've stated it poorly.

It doesn't matter what I personally think of loud profanities or drunkenness or illegal drugs in a public park. I can be in favor of all of them. But if they lead to courses getting pulled (rare), or having a poor relationship with the parks department or town council, that matters. If I want disc golf to grow through more families and children playing, that matters. It won't help to say, Well, the neighbors and other park users and police and parks department should view those behaviors more charitably, too.

You're missing my point, or perhaps I've stated it poorly.

It doesn't matter what I personally think of loud profanities or drunkenness or illegal drugs in a public park. I can be in favor of all of them. But if they lead to courses getting pulled (rare), or having a poor relationship with the parks department or town council, that matters. If I want disc golf to grow through more families and children playing, that matters. It won't help to say, Well, the neighbors and other park users and police and parks department should view those behaviors more charitably, too.

I see where you are going with this. Be discreet if you are going to do things that maybe harmful to the course or the growth of the sport. But then again the growth of the sport issue is can be argued just like skateboarding, bmx, snowboarding, etc...They were all underground sports for a long time until the X games brought them into the spotlight. I think DG should have an X-games kind of happening...why don't we all pool our money together and rent out a space on ESPN or some well known network and try to make people more aware of the sport...if no one is going to help us get noticed than why not try it ourselves.

Or...and just hear me out on this, because apparently it's never been said to you before...

DON'T BREAK THE LAW

But where is the fun in that!! Weren't rules meant to be broken to some extent? Especially, if the jackbags who wrote them are hipocrites and worse than some of us who ocassionally break those laws.

I think most of us agree that some unsavory behavior on our courses is detrimental to the image of the game. But, how to make positive changes? From my experience, it is the very young families and 17-25 year old, whom we seem concerned in protecting, that are often at the root of the problem. In my area, it is not a group of 30/40 somethings sitting at a picnic table, smoking dope out of a large glass bong, whilst drawing pictures of genitalia with a sharpie. I was playing a slow six pack round with a buddy this weekend on one of our local P2P 27 hole courses. A young family, with a 4-5 year old daughter were looking to jump in at 19th hole in front of us. It was a fairly crowded day, so we suggested they indeed jump in, indicating we would be fine playing slowly, therefore protecting them from people throwing into them. Several hole later we catch them on a tee, with Mom gouging out their initials in a picnic table, complaining to us the knife was not very effective. I nicely tried to educate, that it was simply vandalism and as a frequent player, I wished she would not do it. The response was not friendly, nor very positive, as an example to the onlooking child. I find this similar response when approaching the aforementioned bong owners. I understand there are more confrontational options, but I am trying to enjoy my day and would like to leave enforcement up to the park to whom I pay money to play there. I think the issue is much larger than disc golf and the answers are very complicated. Personal responsibility is hard to teach to those who have never had any. Same goes for common decency, sense and courtesy.

Or...and just hear me out on this, because apparently it's never been said to you before...

DON'T BREAK THE LAW

Out of curiosity, you ever drive faster than the posted speed limit, jaywalk, or tear the tag off of a mattress that you don 't own?

Yeah, if people haven't learned better behavior yet, you're not going to teach them.

The best I can hope for, for the image of disc golf, is to outnumber them with better-behaved folks and reduce their percentage of the disc golf population.

You guys are kind of drifting off the issue. The girl (according to what knowledge we have) didn't witness any questionable behavior on the course, she sat in a car in the parking lot and witnessed it there.

You know, parking lots, where everyone acts like a saint and nothing bad ever happens. :|

You guys are kind of drifting off the issue. The girl (according to what knowledge we have) didn't witness any questionable behavior on the course, she sat in a car in the parking lot and witnessed it there.

You know, parking lots, where everyone acts like a saint and nothing bad ever happens. :|

Holy smokes....Bro Dave to the rescue...I was way off point talking about the course and what not....as to the parking lot...who the hell is ever in the parking lot to witness anything...everyone should be on the course damn.

... I think the issue is much larger than disc golf and the answers are very complicated. Personal responsibility is hard to teach to those who have never had any. Same goes for common decency, sense and courtesy.

^this.

I'm a libertarian and would agree, IF I had a guarantee that neighbors or other park users wouldn't complain to the parks department and eventually affect this course or future course projects, and IF there were kid-friendly and family-friendly courses in the area where the growth of disc golf can be promoted absent the poor behavior.

In a practical world, it's not true that poor and illegal behavior in a public park doesn't hurt anyone else. And I'm not talking about hurting sensibilities. I'm talking about real losses to the disc golf community.

...and this is why i always choose ann arbor mi in any of those dg mecca threads.
Reguardless of course count or quality, a major city that seemingly has no ill towards smokers is a somewhat unique, and imo, valueable trait.
A2 area was one of the first to have country club style dg and they continue to promote many types of courses.
While many cities would see young men playing dg at night in the woods under the bridge as bad, aa seems to prefer it over activities that actually have grou ds to be offensive to kids.

DON'T BREAK THE LAW

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

DONT BE SUCH A MUGGLE BRO

Latest posts