• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Weight loss disc golf

Yeah,it definitely tore me up.

Or it's just sad when people are a dick to someone who's trying to get help :| and improve his life,clearly he knows he has a problem,otherwise he wouldn't be here talking about it.

There are no fat disc golfers. At least, not for long.

There are no fat disc golfers. At least, not for long.

Yeah, this guy just started playing from what I understand. I still don't know how much exercise DG is unless it's played a lot and/or on very hilly terrain. It's helped keep the weight I lost playing basketball from coming back though.

350 and loves disc golfing, somehow the two dont seem to go together .... not to be a dick but how does an out of shape 350 pounder finish 18 holes on a varying terrain. I've seen slightly overweight people have issues finishing 18 holes while playing in the heat. Actually 350 pound "disc-golfers" is what I envision when I see 5,000+ posts on sites like this :'(

I played for several years closer to 400 than 350. I could out last people literally half my size in the Houston summer. I would often play 18-36 holes and 4 softball games in an afternoon/evening. Granted, I was probably the exception rather than the rule, but weight isn't the only factor in personal endurance.

I've since lost ~145 lbs, but I don't find it any easier to get in a round or two. I really can't credit disc golf for the weight loss either. I played for several years while morbidly obese and actually gained weight. I had to change my diet considerably to drop the weight.

I still don't know how much exercise DG is unless it's played a lot and/or on very hilly terrain.

definitely exercise, i lost 100 lbs. from DG but that was from playing/field practice 4-5 days a week for a bit over a year plus a reasonable diet. no other exercise though.

What an odd thread to raise from the dead.

Must have been for me... I'm thinking about Disc Golf as a way to exercise without feeling like I'm exercising.

I'm starting out pretty close to the RC Racer i.e. 6ft 360lbs but if he's got a 3 y.o. I'm guessing I have a few years on him.

Ok..."raising a dead response"...I play at a hilly course. (Bicentennial). If I "Go for a walk" with my wife, my back is good for about 1/4 of a mile before the muscle spasms begin. I can play almost the entire course, hills included, and sometimes the whole course with no back spasms...if anything, disc golf takes my mind off of my back and knees (kinda) and allows me to get some exercise in.

I've also played Zboaz and Weatherford with no ill effects from my back until I get into my car...then the hurting begins...

I am probably looked upon as crazy, but this is my life. If you don't like FAT PEOPLE, please let me know so I can sit on you and fart the theme to "Good Times"...

End communication.

It is amazing how much drinking the right amount of water can improve your health/weight.

I'll give my testimonial as well.

I've lost 40 pounds in the last year playing regularly. Now if I could just kick the late night eating habit, it could be more.

I say go for it, win/win situation.

Not sure if this has been posted in here (heck, we could probably include it in the threads detailing disc golf sightings on television programs, too!)...I stumbled across it when I was searching for Louis C.K. clips regarding kids and parenting, and found this clip of a children's weight-loss camp called "Louie's Kids," and the thumbnail image was none other than a Discatcher on a hillside (looks like disc sports are incorporated quite a bit at this camp). Couldn't find a YouTube equivalent to embed here, so you'll have to go to the Rachel Ray Show site and watch it. It's only 2-1/2 minutes, so check it.

http://incrediblepeople.rachaelrayshow.com/_Louies-Kids/video/189943/16764.html

I was 215 and 6'4 and i quit drinking i lost 15 pounds really fast. then i quit soda so i pretty much drink black coffee and water. 185 i was more active and now i'm super thin at 175 but i can throw better and never get tired like i use to when i was 215. so keep up the weight lose you guys will meet those goals and hopefully keep it off.

watching caloric intake is the most critical element to losing weight, playing a round of disc golf helps burn some calories but someone who does this without correcting lousy eating habits will not exactly shed lbs...i lost 45 lbs this year by watching what i eat, the amount of disc golf i play has not changed one way or the other in that time....

Pretty much what it boils down to is will power in your diet. Playing 3 rounds a day won't do much of anything if you don't change your diet. Find out what your maintenance caloric intake is, then eat 500-750 calories less every day. And if you don't want a bunch loose skin when you lose a significant amount of weight, lift weights. It really will help. And I don't mean machines, lift actual weights. Look up the book called Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe

Forgot - don't even think about drinking anything but water. It's something small that can make a huge difference

Last edited:
Pretty much what it boils down to is will power in your diet. Playing 3 rounds a day won't do much of anything if you don't change your diet. Find out what your maintenance caloric intake is, then eat 500-750 calories less every day. And if you don't want a bunch loose skin when you lose a significant amount of weight, lift weights. It really will help. And I don't mean machines, lift actual weights. Look up the book called Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe

Forgot - don't even think about drinking anything but water. It's something small that can make a huge difference

You am a smart monkey...

Yup,I eat a ton of horrible stuff and play a ton of disc golf,maintained my weight.

That's about to change though,tired of it,all water and a sensible diet from now on. :|

Except at the GA meetup. :|

I lost about 100 pounds over 14-15 months with disc golf being the main form of exercise I was doing.

There really is no secret. You just have to do it a lot. And have a decent diet too. That helps more than anything. Cut out the soda, junk food, most of the booze, it's not hard. But most people that I know have such terrible diets that they can't exercise enough to get rid of all the junk calories they are taking in every day.
I couldn't have stated it any better. Make sure that the majority of the food you eat is REAL food, and not processed "food." That alone could make a huge difference in the amount of weight lost.

I wouldn't rely too heavily on disc golf to be my main exercise program, though. If you're going to exercise, then EXERCISE. Only ten minutes a day of vigorous exercise can make a big difference. Who can't spare 10 minutes a day?

If you've got more time, then fine. But make the time you do have useful by pushing your body to the max. In other words, don't jog, RUN. Running short distances and resting in between for ten minutes will do more than jogging a mile or two. It's the intensity of the exercise that makes this strategy work so well.

Try it. You'll be impressed with the results.

My buddy and I have been jogging the course so we can fit two games in before work. On non-work days we punish ourselves for bad holes by doing 10 pushups per point gained on the next hole's teebox.

Latest posts