• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Western Pennsylvania DG Courses

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I'm planning on taking a short weekend dg trip relatively soon and thought I'd get some input on my course selection. Here are the ones that I have planned to play:

Moraine State Park DGC in Portersville, PA
Deer Lakes Park in Tarentum, PA
Knob Hill Park in Warrendale, PA
IUP College Lodge in Indiana, PA

and a possibility for the drive back home is:
Lake Shore Park in Ashtabula, OH

After reading up on the area these seem to be some of the better courses but if you have other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Hey Tim, you beat me to it :D #1 on my list of ones I want to try is Moraine, due to its location and reputation. The only one not on your list in the area is Pittsburgh's "old school" course at Schenley. It is centrally located relevant to the other four, and would give you the chance to see the city, and smack a disc off a few trees. Just be ware if you go this weekend the Vintage Grand Prix auto race runs in the park.
As far as the way back goes, the new course at Pymatuning has caught my interest. As far as I can tell from the web page the course is under construction / partially complete.
-Matt

The earliest I'll be going is 7/21 so I don't have to worry about the races :) Schenley and Pymatuning look interesting but I think it will be pretty tight so we may not be able to play them.

The plan is to drive down to a hotel Friday after work and then get an early start on Saturday. Then stay somewhere else and try to play a course or two on Sunday before making the long trek back to Rochester. It'll be a lot of driving but hopefully the courses will be worth it.

I visited Deer Lakes on Saturday for the first time. The scope of the course is humbling. I took my first snowman there...and worse.:eek: I've updated some of the course info - added pics and noted the multiple pin placements. I'll post a review soon, but needless to say I look forward to playing it again, now that I know what to do - and what not to.

Awesome pics.. looks like a fun one. Assuming the weather cooperates, I'll be playing that Deer Lakes on Saturday.

I think we may have to check out Schenley since we'll be so close. I'm not a huge fan of heavily wooded courses but since we're there.. :)

Hey guys. I live 5 min from Deer Lakes, 20 from Knob Hill, about 45 from morraine, and I go to school at IUP, so I've played all four of those courses numerous times. They're all fantastic courses. If you haven't already gone, you should really enjoy them. I did get a chance Ashtabula last summer, and it was definitely the most beautiful course I've ever played.

Me and some friends are trying to plan a trip to eastern PA and maybe NY to play some courses out there sometime is August. Just wondering if you guys had any suggestions of where we should go.

Hey shark,

We actually just got back today from playing those courses. They were all great courses and we enjoyed them a lot, I just wish we didn't live so far away so we could play them more often. I tried to get pics of each hole but I missed a couple on Knob Hill and Schenley.

As for Eastern PA, Codorus Creek State Park has 54 holes and has some great lake views as well as some challenging holes. If you do all 54 like we did then it ends up being a test of endurance to make it through all of them.. be sure to bring plenty of water if you attempt it.

Jordan Creek was a great course and so was Little Lehigh. Try to get a map of Little Lehigh if you can since some of the holes are very far apart and there aren't any tee signs to speak of. Roland Park was also nice and I really enjoyed Tinicum as well.

Where in NY were you thinking of playing?

Welcome back, Tim. The pics look great. Moraine and Knob Hill should have been all decked out from the A-level tournament last weekend, so I'm sure you saw them at their best. I look forward to hearing what you thought about them.

I will slowly start posting reviews as I get a chance. I enjoyed all the courses with the exception of Schenley which just didn't rank too highly with me for a few reasons.

Yeah, I worried about that when you said you weren't a fan of woods courses. Schenley does kind of pale in comparison to the newer and bigger courses outside of the city. One reason I keep going back is its location - in the middle of things instead of the middle of nowhere.

Well I didn't mind the woods and they weren't all that thick compared to some courses. I think it was the fact that it was in the middle of the city and it was so crowdy were a couple of factors that turned me off. Also, as you mentioned, the course is short and I didn't find it too challenging either (maybe I just had a lot of lucky shots).

I tend to prefer courses in the middle of nowhere since you don't have to deal with the crowds. At IUP the only sound we could hear was the occasional bird, otherwise it was dead quiet. It was sort of relaxing :)

my thoughts on our area.... wish I could have posted this earlier.

Schenley - best for its time, recreational use only now.
Knob Hill - world class, still tough at tourney setup. Always fun.
College Lodge - some unique shots, placed on a ski slope hill.
Moraine - New and HARD... this course can eat you alive.
Pymatuming - not completed, havent played. heard it is a good setup and will be great when complete

Deer Lakes - newer course (1 year installed).. read below...

Deer Lakes, after a few more dedicated work days, will surely become the best course in and around the Pittsburgh area. Par is the most fair. The changes in hole style, woods to open, are layed out well with what was available for use. There is GREAT backing by the parks department. Full concrete is coming for all three tees....

I may be bias as I do live so close, however, when you do get a round in I have no problem saying you will be saying the same.

I have some before and after pics of the grounds stashed away, as well as some gorgeous scenery shots. I'll try to post them here soon.

Last edited:
A couple of times at IUP, I've thrown my disc into the woods about 10 feet from a deer. The deer will just stand there and watch me throw, then go back to eating leaves. That says something about how much in the middle of nowhere the course is.

From what I've read here I'm going to make sure I hit Moraine and Knob Hill on one of my trips down 79. When it is completed, I may check out Pymatuning and post some info on that as well. As for IUP I'm not sure they'd let me in, being a Clarion grad.;) I've always been partial to Schenley because of its location, but the newer courses sound like they are worth going out of the way for.

Deer Lakes is 20 minutes from Knob... I hear all talk of Moraine and Knob, Deer Lakes will stand up to those two courses everyday of the week. If you are truly coming down 79 to play go to Deer Lakes, the par 66 will not leave you disappointed.

btw tim, what day were you at knob hill? I just played there on sunday, I might have seen you.

I was actually at Knob Hill on Saturday around 5pm. Played Moraine the following day and then made the long drive home.

Also, I agree with JoshC regarding Deer Lakes. I thought it was a great course and is definitely right up there with Knob Hill and Moraine. I just wish I didn't live so far from the area.. I want to go back and play them some more :)

Also, I agree with JoshC regarding Deer Lakes. I thought it was a great course and is definitely right up there with Knob Hill and Moraine. I just wish I didn't live so far from the area.. I want to go back and play them some more :)

Tim, you are from Rochester?.. are you playing in the Chestnut Ridge Open on August 11th-12th?.. I am thinking of taking a drive North to meet some new people and play a new course... would it be worth my time?:confused:

Josh

I am from Rochester but I'm not playing in the tournament. I actually haven't been to Chestnut Ridge yet so I can't comment on the course. MattK is from that area though, he may have had a chance to play the course so maybe he can give some impressions.

Latest posts