• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Western Pennsylvania DG Courses

Well, the length at chestnut ridge is comparable to Schenley, and the distant view of the city skyline from the heights of the first tee reminded me of that at first. But with the exception of the lack of concrete tees, Chestnut Ridge is better all around. No big crowds picnicking in the course, good throwing lanes and viable landing zones. The thing that really stands out though, and the reason this is my favorite course so far, is the deep ravine that runs through it. I've played the kind of recovery shots here that I haven't had to play anywhere else. Something like standing next to your house and trying to put the disc on the roof next to the chimney. I saw a guy make a putt with the basket about 10 feet above him, though I suppose basketball players do that thing all of the time.
If you want something of the length and honest par of Deer Lakes, you'll be disappointed here. But if you want some unique terrain and don't mind scaling a cliff to retrieve the occasional errant throw, Chestnut Ridge is a good time, IMHO.

thanks for the info Matt. With that all said, I'll probably just hold off. I am traveling the weekend before that as well so two in a row might turn out to be too much anyway.

Monroeville DG in the news

In the July 25th edition of the Times Express, Pittsburgh area disc golf expert Rex Nordheimer talks about the basics of disc golf in Monroeville Park. Some of the other local courses are mentioned in passing as well.

Hey Matt,

Do you regularly go down to Pittsburgh? Seems like a bit of a haul even from Buffalo.

Hey Matt,

Do you regularly go down to Pittsburgh? Seems like a bit of a haul even from Buffalo.

I grew up in the area, so I go back several times a year for holidays and such, or when I just want to get away. I used to just play Monroeville and Schenley, but I think now I'll make more of an effort to hit some of the newer, better courses as well.

Ah, alright. It seemed like you went down a lot and I wasn't sure if it was just for DG :)

You should definitely make it out to the newer courses, they're really, really good.

Shark7d12, If you're out in the Lehigh Valley definitely stop at Little Lehigh in Allentown, Jordan in Whitehall, Nocky in Quakertown, and Tinicum in Erwinna. Don't bother with any Jersey courses. If you're playing Codorus in Hanover, come up 30 East to 222 and play Roland in Akron, Buchmiller in Lancaster. If you're out towards Philly, Tyler State, Brandywine, Kennett Square, and Sedgley are all fair picks. If you're in New York, you must play Brakewell Steel in Warwick off 94. I've never played it, but I want to. If you want, I can show you some of the Valley courses on a Friday. Jordan, LL, Nocky, or Tinicum.

New tees at Moraine

Just played Moraine yesterday for the 1st time, and was wondering if anyone knows when they changed the tees. The scorecards still say gold and white, but now it looks like the whites are now blue and new whites have been added. (correct me if I'm wrong). So I played from the whites, which do for every course, and found it was playing easier than expected. Now I read on this page that the whites are actually rated 850...shouldn't they be red? And why did white tees (900) become blues (950), if this is what happened? Its a great course, but this just confused me.

I noticed the same thing.. the score card must be an old version and I unfortunately didn't record the proper tee distances when I played to update the site. I think the white tees are new as they don't match the blue/gold ones.

clarification on Moraine

taken from PFDS website...
"The course features a set of Gold tees, rated at 1000, Blue tees, rated at 950, with a set of beginner-friendly White tees (850) also marked."

There is a new scorecard, I'll work on getting it posted at http://www.pfds.org so this doesnt happen to anyone else.

btw, what did you two shoot from the white?...

Josh,

That scorecard and info was on here as well. I thought there might have been an updated scorecard since there are 3 sets of tees at the course and only 2 on the card. I actually played from the gold's but I'm not sure what I shot at the moment. I do know #6 did a number on me.. the length plus all those trees made for a pretty tough hole.

Shark, if you're coming out this way, play Jordan, Little Lehigh, Nocky, and Tinicum. I'm up for a round on either Tuesdays or Fridays until end of month. Afterwards, just Mondays and Tuesdays.

btw, what did you two shoot from the white?...

I shot an 81, which isn't bad for me. I had never hit a deuce before from the whites, and I was happy to hit two of them here, then a bit disappointed when I started to get the feeling that they weren't really whites but reds that need painted.

Severe storm damage at Schenley

These pics on the Pittsburgh website are incredible. I'd heard about the recent storm and the flash flooding, but I had no idea the course took this kind of hit.

Wow.. that is quite a bit of damage. Glad I had a chance to play the course before that happened.

I'm starting to notice that woods courses play at their most difficult when they're first constructed. Then things tend to open up as trees are lost to pruning decisions, foul play, and in this case foul weather. Whether this makes Schenley better or worse in the long run remains to be seen; but it will never be quite the same.

I got back to Schenley a couple of weeks ago. Still some debris around the 13th hole, but other than that the course seems to be back to normal. There was quite a bit more sunshine in the woods than before, though. I still haven't seen the huge crowds that everyone else seems to see there (and I see in the pics). I guess I'm just getting lucky with the times I visit.:)

REVIVAL!

Anyone know anything about Polar Bear Doubles at Monroeville this year? I saw it on the PFDS calendar; but there's not a time, and I couldn't find much info anywhere else.

Paying to play at Monroeville is beyond my comprehension.

PM tistoude or vslaugh though, they'll probably know more.

Latest posts